Free Spirits on the Nonathlon - Are you on there?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Do you use the Nonathlon

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Not yet but will do in future
No votes

Total votes: 15

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Free Spirits on the Nonathlon - Are you on there?

Post by Mike Channin »

Just thought I'd mention that there are a LOT of us on the Nonathlon, but people tend to go by different nicknames/'handles' on there, so it isn't always that obvious.

For example, mine on there is S3MJC (and if you want to know why I used that, look in the Sanctuary and see if you can find out why)

The most obvious example of this is the legendary Ergonaut - leader of the whole thing by a mile, who is none other than our very own (Tommy Cooper obsessed) Roger 'Silver Shadow' Bangay!!!! GREAT EFFORT Roger!!! :shock:
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
BorisZ
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by BorisZ »

BorisZ = Nonathlon Papacat :D
A lot of catching up to do in a couple of weak times.
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130
big dave k
Rower and forum addict...

Post by big dave k »

think im bigdavek on there. it saves my log in, so i dont bother remembering.

as i said on a different thread tho, it's a waste of time for me. the times it gives points from are severely stacked against the younger guys. as the world records in the open catagory are generally by world class rowers, and the ones in the older ones are only from ergers, the results are skewed somewhat.

don't want to take away from bangers, but i'd imagine if the likes of pinsent et al kept training as they progressed into the age group catagories, the times to beat would be a lot less. but the level of participation is different once these guys hit 35/40 and the competitors to beat aren't as well trained or naturally gifted.

that's my 2 cents. i'll shut up now
Dave

19, 6'8", 93kg

JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

....and I was just getting happy with my scores :wink: Dammit Dave!

Seriously - I find nonathlon very motivating. Just as the handicap challanges - gives me a chance of looking reasonable! :D

must do a HM & FM though..........
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Big Dave K wrote:as i said on a different thread tho, it's a waste of time for me. the times it gives points from are severely stacked against the younger guys. as the world records in the open catagory are generally by world class rowers, and the ones in the older ones are only from ergers, the results are skewed somewhat.

don't want to take away from bangers, but i'd imagine if the likes of pinsent et al kept training as they progressed into the age group catagories, the times to beat would be a lot less. but the level of participation is different once these guys hit 35/40 and the competitors to beat aren't as well trained or naturally gifted.
Ah, Big Dave, think you might be feeling more negative here than is really appropriate.

Looking at your times, as against mine, your Nonathlon scores are actually significantly higher (easier to get) than in my age/weight category. For example, your 5k is 11 seconds slower, but scores 6 points more. Your 60min distance is 450m LESS but you score 2 points MORE. So actually the Nonathlon is significantly harder and more competitive in the mid 30s than it is for you youngsters, despite your advantage in youth. I have to kill myself to get over 900 points for anything, whereas it is relatively easy for you.

Now on top of that, I'm pretty much the smallest lightest Hwt on the circuit too - I'm giving away 9 inches in height to you, a stone and a half, and 17 years. So really, you don't have much excuse for not being WAY above me on the Nonathlon board.

And in defense of Bangers - it isn't his fault that less people row in his age/weight - it is to his credit that he does when most of his peer group don't. And his times as a 69 Lwt are pretty awesome, so it's only reasonable he gets great scores for them. I will be immensely happy if I have anything like that level of performance if/when I reach that age.

Youth of today, I don't know.... :roll:
Quit whining and get rowing :twisted:
The mighty shrimp has spoken :wink: :lol:
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
MaxDev
True Free Spirit

Post by MaxDev »

Well, I've been consistent - MaxDev on Nonathlon and CTC...

In resonse to BDK, I'd have to agree with Mike on this:

Looking at the performance graphs, I've got my work cut out, because as a 29-yr-old (well, on May 1st anyway) the targets I've got are on average harder than at almost any other age (because not all the peaks are at the same age - shorter events the peak is low 20s, longer events its high 20s-low 30s).

Even if I was fairly fit (which I'm not, yet), I wouldn't expect to come anywhere near the top in the Nonathlon - 7667 currently leaves me 87th, and I'll have to erg myself to death to get much over 7800, but that's not the point...

I view the Nonathlon as competing against yourself - setting yourself that target of another 50 or 100 points, mainly regardless of what others are doing around you. And looking at the longer term - next year I'll be able to have another go, and see if I can beat this years score, without necessarily having to row faster in order to do it.

Max
Maxim Devereaux
32, 6'1", less than 100kgs if I'm lucky

PBs:

Designed for living; built for erging
big dave k
Rower and forum addict...

Post by big dave k »

maybe i misinterpreted the scoring system, the example graph on the website definately is at it's lowest around 21-23. that's for 2k tho, it might be different for other distances.

as i said, i didnt want to devalue the efforts of others. and as banger's scores are over 1000, it just shows that his performances are even better than some trends suggest. the trouble with the top rowers not setting times as they get older is that we can't compare, so we'll never know for sure whether they'd be so much quicker, was just my gut feeling they would be.

but i agree i should be getting more points, all part of the plan. am aiming at getting much closer to a 6min 2k within a a couple years, so the rest of the times should come down with that. and then i'll be getting close to 1000 on some distances. still not sure whether i'll do a FM though. there's hardwork, and then there's just plain crazy
Dave

19, 6'8", 93kg