Strapless times

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Roo
Warming up
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Strapless times

Post by Roo »

Hi is there any info anywhere on peoples’ stapless times? Rankings etc? Not sure why I can’t find anything ,
Is there any info on comparison times ( straps in / straps out) for different distances ?
Thanks
Roo
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Strapless times

Post by jainser »

Not sure there is, but I’ve been rowing strapless for years. Well over long distance / time. Short burst tend to lock myself in!!
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

jainser wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:01 am Not sure there is, but I’ve been rowing strapless for years. Well over long distance / time. Short burst tend to lock myself in!!
Blimey Jainser - long time no see!!

Re strapless, I've never seen any posted times. It's something I've never mastered (or care to try) as a technique.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Iain »

I have known some people claim that at R25 or so they row at the same pace. Personally I am lucky not to have to clamp onto the rail at some point which would definitely slow me down, so I always strap in for any TT and have no data to answer the question from first hand experience. However, the purpose to rowing strapless is to improve technique so ultimately it should not be slowing you down, but it may take a long time for that to be the case.

Also at R20 or so many people get a positive advantage by extending their leanback t a point that is not possible strapless, so R20 times only a few seconds less than free rate aren't achievable.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Derrylad convinced me that strapless was the way forward. For the same reason you put down. Technique, first off I really struggled but now prefer. Tends to keep meat around 25/26 spm but can go higher - 28+
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Roo
Warming up

Post by Roo »

Thanks for replies
Yes I find below 24 or so rate not much difference with or without straps, but for shorter distances eg 2k, 1k , 500m, one minute, Who can give any strapless data compared to straps on ?
I can give one from today :
313m in one minute, rate 35 ( Best straps on 341m @ rate 46)