Meta-nonathlon 2020-2021

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Meta-nonathlon 2020-2021

Post by Rodger »

Hi all,

Shortly I will post the first meta-nonathlon table for the current 2020-2021 season. It works the same as in previous seasons. For anyone new to this or as a quick reminder, here's a basic Q&A.

What is the Free Spirits meta-nonathlon?
The meta-nonathlon is a motivational tool, based on the nonathlon of two consecutive seasons. The meta-nonathlon compares your current nonathlon scores with those of your previous season. In essence, you are competing against your former self. The scores are sorted into a Free Spirits meta-nonathlon ranking that shows who is doing the best job of improving on last year.

How does it work?
For every nonathlon distance (500m, 1k, 2k, etc.) and timed piece (30 min, 60 min) your 2020 nonathlon score will be divided by your 2019 score. The outcome is then multiplied by 100, basically giving a percentage as your score for that distance. So, managing a better score on a piece than in the previous season gives you a score over 100. The scores are rounded off to whole numbers, for easy-view purposes (showing decimals makes the sheet look messy). Just like in the nonathlon itself, the total score is calculated as the sum of the nine best individual scores (out of all 10). There is no bonus for doing all 10 distances.
All scores in the table are rounded off. The sum score in the table is the sum of the actual (ie. not rounded off) scores. This means that the sum score you see in the table can be 1 point higher or lower than the score you would get if you added up all the rounded off scores.

What do the colours mean?
The cells are colour coded:
- Dark green: over 2.5% better than last season (big improvement)
- Light green: less than 2.5% better than last season (modest improvement)
- Yellow: exactly the same as last season
- Amber: less than 2.5% worse than last season (small decline)
- Red: over 2.5% worse than last season (large decline).
Note that because scores are rounded off, cells with a score of 100 can be either yellow, amber or light green.

What if you didn't row all distances last year?
If you haven't entered a time/distance for a piece in the previous season, the score to beat will be equal to your highest score in that previous year. There is a threshold of 5 ranked pieces though, so If you entered less than 5 nonathlon scores in the previous season, the benchmark for un-entered pieces will be set at 1000 instead of your highest ranked score.

What if you weren’t in the nonathlon last year?
The point of the meta-nonathlon is to compare your current season to your previous, based on nonathlon scores. If you didn’t enter any nonathlon scores last year, there is nothing to compare your current performance with. You will have to wait until next season to find your name in the table (sorry!).

What do you have to do to take part?
If you registered at least one score on the nonathlon website both last season and this season, you're almost good to go. You can either ask Stan to be included in the Free Spirits 2021 nonathlon filter list in this thread and I will take your name from there, or you can request your inclusion on this thread. If your nonathlon user name was different last season than it is this season, don't forget to mention both user names.

When are the scores updated?
I intend to post new table updates once every two weeks on Wednesdays.

How does this meta-nonathlon relate to the new Nonathlon Analyzer?
I'm glad you asked. It makes sense to try and bring both together. Jon has confirmed he will take a stab at integrating this meta-nonathlon into the Analyzer. Seeing the great work he has done on the Analyzer so far, I have no doubt it will work. When that happens, this old meta-nonathlon table here will be discontinued.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Rodger

Re: Meta-nonathlon 2020-2021

Post by Rodger »

For the first table, we have 18 participants. Five people have a 900+ score already, indicating an overall improvement over last season.

M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Many thanks Rodger. Great to see 19 dark greens already against 9 by the end of last season and the highest number are for HM =D>
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by JonT »

I have agreed with Rodger that I will work out automating this analysis so that it can sit alongside the Nonathlon Analyser. It is on the growing To Do list, but with the website migration etc it has taken a bit of a back seat.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
JonT

Post by JonT »

I have had a first go at automating the production of the Metanonathlon.

Take a look and let me know what you think, whether I have got all of the calculations correct and any improvements you can see that could be made.

Metanonathlon

The weekend project is to incorporate this and the analyser into the website menu structure.

By the way RichK has leapt up the table since Rodger posted the last results. I've added an "Average score" column (which isn't used in any of the calcs.) and looking at that I think he is looking like a candidate for top spot by the end of the season =D> =D>
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Iain

Post by Iain »

Looks good to me. THanks for all your hard work.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

It seems this horse is being replaced by the automobile. I can now go graze in the fields.
My thanks to Jon for taking the meta-nonathlon off my hands. And, since I haven't been rowing for some time now, that is not a bad thing.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
JonT

Post by JonT »

Rodger wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:09 pm It seems this horse is being replaced by the automobile. I can now go graze in the fields.
My thanks to Jon for taking the meta-nonathlon off my hands. And, since I haven't been rowing for some time now, that is not a bad thing.
Now you make me feel guilty Rodger :oops:

Thanks for all of the work you have done on this over the past seasons. I have to admit there will be something missing when we don't have to wait for you to reveal the results and where people are up to. I always enjoyed that. Maybe I should programme a virtual Rodger that holds back any updates for at least a week :D

Meanwhile, I see Lesley (aka 971417) has jumped to the top of the table. =D> =D> I'm still expecting Rich to jump to the top with his average a full three points higher than everyone else at the moment. ^O^
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

JonT wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:25 pm Now you make me feel guilty Rodger
No need. I like grazing in the field. It's actually good timing.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Iain

Post by Iain »

Thanks Rodger for all your hard work that has been really motivational.

- Iain
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Also from a big thank you, Rodger, for the inspiration over the years. Enjoy grazing, you deserve it.
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Cheers Iain and Fred!
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Iain

Post by Iain »

Jon, after 5 days, my Meta hasn't been updated for my improved 500. WOrked in the Nonathlon analyser 'though. Is there something we have to do to update it?
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:19 pm Jon, after 5 days, my Meta hasn't been updated for my improved 500. Worked in the Nonathlon analyser 'though. Is there something we have to do to update it?
Updates will come through automatically Iain - taking away the suspense of Rodger's updates :(

It looks correct to me. You had 812 points last year and 797 this year. That is 98% of last year's score, which is what I can see in the table. Do you see something different?
Iain

Post by Iain »

No, increased 500 to 822 points on Friday, changed on Nonathlon site and in the analyser, just not in the meta.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:06 pm No, increased 500 to 822 points on Friday, changed on Nonathlon site and in the analyser, just not in the meta.
Hmmmm. Your Nonathlon Analyser Profile is also showing the old points value for 500m. So something has got out of sync somehow.

I suspect it is a result of some pages fetching data from the Nonathlon database (where your score is correct) and some pages looking in our local database which has got out of sync somehow. It will be a simple, silly mistake somewhere. I'll look over the weekend if I get a chance.

Thanks for spotting this.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:06 pm No, increased 500 to 822 points on Friday, changed on Nonathlon site and in the analyser, just not in the meta.
Iain, I have fixed this so that your scores are correct again by forcing the database to update itself - this brings you breathing down my neck which strikes me as ungentlemanly given I can't row at all at the moment :evil:

What I can't do is reproduce the problem. If I go to the Nonathlon and update a score it feeds through completely automatically. all the way from Nonathlon->Analyser->Rower Profile->Meta. So I don't understand how your scores somehow got out of sync.

I will keep my eye on things, but if anyone else sees anything like this happening, can you let me know please?
Iain

Post by Iain »

Still quite a gap, just failed to complete a 30', would need to improve that by 140m to match your score. I don't think that is going to happen any time soon. Many thanks for fixing this and I hope you are recovered soon, (but thanks for lending me your boat II spot in the meantime :twisted: .

- Iain
JonT

Post by JonT »

I'm missing Rodger's regular updates, so.....

RichK still looks like the future leader based on average and missing scores, but it will be tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonT

Post by JonT »

Crushy spotted that I had not implemented the rule that states that if you did less than 5 events last year then the score for any event not rowed in that year would be 1000, not the maximum of the scores that you had rowed. I had completely missed this out - so thanks to Crushy for spotting it.

The only two Nonathletes that were impacted were RichK (who has plummeted down the tables I'm afraid), and Shmoo. The rest of the table is broadly the same as my previous post.

Apologies for the cock up :oops:
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Jon, it has been a while since the last update. Are you planning to do one in the near future?
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

JonT

Post by JonT »

Grobi wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:57 pm Jon, it has been a while since the last update. Are you planning to do one in the near future?
It is always available nowadays on the Utilities menu or at http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/nonat ... athlon.php

Or did you mean something else?
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Thanks for the hint Jon I wasn‘t aware of that. All good! :fswink:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

JonT

Post by JonT »

Grobi wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:13 pm Thanks for the hint Jon I wasn‘t aware of that. All good! :fswink:
I have to admit now this is automated I am starting to miss Rodger’s updates 😟
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Jon, I seem to have the same problem that Iain had, interestingly also with the 500m, if that helps tracking down the problem:
Iain wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:19 pm Jon, after 5 days, my Meta hasn't been updated for my improved 500. WOrked in the Nonathlon analyser 'though. Is there something we have to do to update it?
I updated my 500m on Saturday (Nov 14th) which gave me a nonathlon score of 815 (was 754). I can see the new score in the nonathlon and in the nonathlon analyser. Last season's score was 809. So my Metanonathlon score was 93 (754/809) but should be 101 (815/809) now. It's still showing the 93 though?

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg