Dog Days of Summer

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Dog Days of Summer

Post by JonT »

For those of you who may have missed it, the Dog Days of Summer event started yesterday. The challenge icons are up and running on the Meterboard (my first solo effort at setting up a challenge which seems to be working except for the icons disappearing randomly. I suspect that is the same issue as the missing PB signatures).

I think I will struggle with this challenge this year. I seem to have picked up a urine infection which has knocked my sideways a bit #-o and I haven't done any form of exercise for more than a week now.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Re: Dog Days of Summer

Post by Jill »

Jon, thank you for the reminder. :)

This is my favourite challenge and although during the last few months, I have been taking the opportunity to be out and about as much as possible, doing far more walking than rowing, ( and feeling the benefits ) I’m all set to earn my Dancing Dog icon.

I am sorry that you are not feeling 100% again and hope that you are starting to feel more on the mend.

With everything that you have been involved in at the moment, it’s important that you do not neglect your health and well being. There are plenty more challenges in the pipeline and they will keep.

Is this the right time to ask how the building work is going? 😬

Take care,
Jill xx
jolo
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by jolo »

Week 1 is completed for me. I get a lot of meters from bike erg but they only count half.. cheers!!
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Ive done the first weeks total, but now have a problem with the achilles tendon. Not sure if its rowing related, but its painful. Not as bad as yesterday so some hope of improving further. I will need to keep an eye on that though. Up until then I was doing ok, seasons best for 5k and 30 mins. Just hoping I can get back on for week 2.
pb times
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Good luck Stan.

Jon, I see we already have the Dog badge on the meterboard. Shouldn't that appear after week 4?
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Wolfmiester wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:44 am Jon, I see we already have the Dog badge on the meterboard. Shouldn't that appear after week 4?
I was thinking the same thing - you beat me to asking the question.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 am
Wolfmiester wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:44 am Jon, I see we already have the Dog badge on the meterboard. Shouldn't that appear after week 4?
I was thinking the same thing - you beat me to asking the question.
Good question. This is a slightly odd challenge. The Meterboard picks up the Concept2 honour board. C2 populate that as you complete 10k and then you either survive the following weeks or drop off. Our options are to not start the challenge until the final week, or to start it when the honour board starts. Last year we did the latter which is what I have done this year. I hope that explains things.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

thanks Jon, meaning we will lose the badge if we don't complete the 4 weeks?
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
JonT

Post by JonT »

Wolfmiester wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:11 am thanks Jon, meaning we will lose the badge if we don't complete the 4 weeks?
Correct. If you miss a target you drop off the Concept2 honour board for the challenge and your prancing dog will be no more.......in theory 🙏🏻
JonT

Post by JonT »

Jill wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:20 am Is this the right time to ask how the building work is going? 😬
Jill xx
Let's just say I am still rowing in the garden. #-o
milt
Warming up

Post by milt »

Jon - Hows that infection coming? I’m sure your getting good medical advise, but just wanted to pass on that when I had the same thing it was the 1st sign of a real issue with my bladder. Not to be dismissed with just a round of antibiotics. Hopefully a good urologist is getting a look at it.

Now, back to happier thoughts.
JonT

Post by JonT »

milt wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:59 pm Jon - Hows that infection coming? I’m sure your getting good medical advise, but just wanted to pass on that when I had the same thing it was the 1st sign of a real issue with my bladder. Not to be dismissed with just a round of antibiotics. Hopefully a good urologist is getting a look at it.

Now, back to happier thoughts.
That's good advice, thanks. Things are getting worse rather than better at the moment, hence my complete lack of activity of any form.
JonT

Post by JonT »

The third week has started and the number of Freespirits has dropped from 135 to 88 determined spirits.

I'd love to say that this all happened automatically. Let's just say my to-do list just got longer. #-o
Jill

Post by Jill »

Jon, I am sorry that the UTI is still causing you such discomfort and let’s hope that this coming week will see a noticeable improvement and you will start to feel a little more perky.

Thank you for the Dancing, Prancing Dog Days update and I wish that there was something ( of a non-technical nature ) that I could do to help.

Quite a drop in participants, although in fairness, there might be some FS who are unaware that they have been taking part in the challenge.

Staying on the canine theme and for anyone who fancies an easy challenge:

Who was Spotty Dog?

No googling.
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Was Spotty Dog friends with Louby Lou? Gosh that’s a long time ago!
Jill

Post by Jill »

Shmoo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:48 pm Was Spotty Dog friends with Louby Lou? Gosh that’s a long time ago!
Very good Louise but unfortunately, not the correct answer. :fsbgrin: Louby Lou was friends with Andy Pandy and Teddy. :)
Shmoo

Post by Shmoo »

Oh, lord, it was something on watch with mother! I can picture Spotty Dog but not his friends...
Jill

Post by Jill »

Shmoo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:49 pm Oh, lord, it was something on watch with mother! I can picture Spotty Dog but not his friends...
Getting there Louise as you are correct that this particular BBC programme was part of the Watch With Mother series.

A clue: the family ( and the name of the programme ) that Spotty Dog lived with were all made from an organic material. :fsbgrin:

Good to see you back on board the Metreboard. :)
Shmoo

Post by Shmoo »

Ah, the wooden tops! How could I forget? Maybe because I was 4 last time I saw it 😂
Yes, good to be back rowing. A bit fat and unfit though - dog days was out of the question...
Louise
JonT

Post by JonT »

JonT wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:40 am The third week has started and the number of Freespirits has dropped from 135 to 88 determined spirits.
Make that 92 determined spirits. It looks like a few trickled through before the final cut off for week 2 meters was applied.
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Well the achilles tendon trouble has almost sorted itself out, so I am tentatively hoping to get back on the rower this week. No chance of doing this challenge unfortunately.
pb times
Jill

Post by Jill »

Shmoo wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:55 pm Ah, the wooden tops! How could I forget? Maybe because I was 4 last time I saw it
Yes, good to be back rowing. A bit fat and unfit though - dog days was out of the question...
Louise
Spot on Louise. =D> Gone are the days though, when I could do a fair impression of the Spotty Dog walk. :fsbgrin:

Keep up with the rowing and your fitness levels will soon improve and the excess pounds will be but a figment of your imagination. :)

I’ll leave you with what was always the closing line from my favourite programme in the series:

“ Goodbye Rag. 🦔 Goodbye Tag. 🐁 Goodbye Bobtail. 🐇💕💕💕
Dogma Dave
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Dogma Dave »

JonT wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:55 am
Wolfmiester wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:11 am thanks Jon, meaning we will lose the badge if we don't complete the 4 weeks?
Correct. If you miss a target you drop off the Concept2 honour board for the challenge and your prancing dog will be no more.......in theory 🙏🏻
It’s all about motivation, and Jon’s system encourages you to push yourself harder each week to avoid the drop. Works well, I reckon... (Shame Hull City didn’t employ the same approach this season... :cry: )
JonT

Post by JonT »

78 prancing dogs remain on the Meterboard after this week’s cut. So, the majority of the determined Freespirits made it through week 3. Onwards!
Last edited by JonT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
commodoreann
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by commodoreann »

For some reason, and I can give you plenty, this challenge is especially hard.

I try not to give up on these challenges and I have come this far.

I will try to push on the complete the rest of the meters I need this week, but, "it ain't fun". :shock: :cry:

Ann :fsbgrin:
I am not getting older, just better. (not bad for a 74 year young lady)
CRASH B silver medal 65-69 lwt 2016
33 million lifetime meters plus and counting......(05/12/20)
5 million season 4/07/11
actually 5.301,526 4/30/11
#44 on the C2 board