Nonathlon Analyser

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Nonathlon Analyser

Post by JonT »

I am happy enough with the Nonathlon Analyser to make it available for people to have a look at and a poke around.

You can find the new version here - Free Spirits Nonathlon Analyser

I have put way, way too much work into this and what started as a small project to learn a few things as I take over from Thomas has turned into hundreds, probably thousands, of lines of code written over many evenings. #-o Anyway, I have learned a huge amount of hopefully useful stuff and I've had great fun on the way.

Please take a look, have a dig around and let me know if things are working or not. I have added a far better layout compared to my original effort, and now you can click on any rower in the table and see their rowing history if that rower has more than a single season's history to view.

Anything that you think looks wrong or could be better? Please tell me and I will take a look. Please also let me know if you have used rower names other than your current one and I will change the system to pick up your past rows.

The sight now has a complete copy of the scores for every rower from every season. That means all kinds of analysis is possible. If there is an interesting angle that you think people would like to see. The hard work is done now, accessing the data as a table or graph is the relatively easy part.

The Nonathlon owners would like to share this more widely, but I want you folks to have a look and try first to make sure things are working. You will see that I have put Free Spirits front and centre on the pages. I hope this will raise awareness of the club amongst Nonathlon users.

I could keep adding things to this mini-site for ages, but I will wait to hear from you and meanwhile move on to migrating the website and Meterboard away from Thomas, which after all was what I was meant to be focussing on!

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Nonathlon Analyser

Post by paulgould »

Really excellent stuff Jon, looks really good.
One thing I noticed, and don't want to nitpick, but it looks like the historical Nonathlon scores are based on the current age and weight category - certainly not a problem, just an observation.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
JonT

Post by JonT »

paulgould wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:56 am Really excellent stuff Jon, looks really good.
One thing I noticed, and don't want to nitpick, but it looks like the historical Nonathlon scores are based on the current age and weight category - certainly not a problem, just an observation.
Paul G
Hi Paul, that was quick!

The historical data is lifted straight from the Nonathlon history, so will be based on your age and weight from that season, or have I misunderstood you? The main page should hopefully be showing the correct age and weight for the current season.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

JonT wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:05 am
paulgould wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:56 am Really excellent stuff Jon, looks really good.
Paul G
Hi Paul, that was quick!

The historical data is lifted straight from the Nonathlon history, so will be based on your age and weight from that season, or have I misunderstood you? The main page should hopefully be showing the correct age and weight for the current season.

Jon
Hi Jon - had another look and realised I had got it wrong - what is actually happening is where there is an entry for all 10 events then the annual total is for all 10 events, rather than a total for the 9 highest scoring events - probably even more nit-picky than my original post :D :D :D :D :D

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Dogma Dave
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Dogma Dave »

Superb piece of work Jon...
JonT

Post by JonT »

Dogma Dave wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:51 am Superb piece of work Jon...
I liked your response before you edited it :fsbgrin:

If you want to do something about your score colouring, can I suggest the Premium version, available at a small monthly cost, where your scores are guaranteed to look far better. Money back guaranteed if you are not completely satisfied :lol:
JonT

Post by JonT »

paulgould wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:36 am
JonT wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:05 am
Paul G
Hi Paul, that was quick!

Jon
Hi Jon - had another look and realised I had got it wrong - what is actually happening is where there is an entry for all 10 events then the annual total is for all 10 events, rather than a total for the 9 highest scoring events - probably even more nit-picky than my original post :D :D :D :D :D

Paul G
Paul - you are absolutely right. I had forgotten about that rule. I’ll sort it out. Not at all nit-picky, absolutely the kind of thing I need people to spot for me. Having never rowed all 10, it has slipped my mind.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Brilliant! My one comment is that the +100 doesn't seem to be activated for earlier years. I am sure you have plenty of better things to spend your time on, but at some future date, you could combine with Rodger's Meta-nonathlon if he doesn't object.

Many thanks for all your hard work and hope Metreboard goes well.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:59 pm Brilliant! My one comment is that the +100 doesn't seem to be activated for earlier years. I am sure you have plenty of better things to spend your time on, but at some future date, you could combine with Rodger's Meta-nonathlon if he doesn't object.

- Iain
Yes I agree Iain. This is the same issue, in a different guise, to the one that Paul identified. It’s my own fault. When I built the database on our side I forgot to retrieve the total points for each season. Instead of going back and doing it properly, I instead decided to calculate the total, which I now remember is more complex than just the sum of all of the scores. I will fix it. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Great work, Jon, lots of thanks. Good to see I'm scoring more blues getting older.
Superb that you put all your time and effort into this.
JonT

Post by JonT »

JonT wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:05 pm
Iain wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:59 pm Brilliant! My one comment is that the +100 doesn't seem to be activated for earlier years. I am sure you have plenty of better things to spend your time on, but at some future date, you could combine with Rodger's Meta-nonathlon if he doesn't object.

- Iain
Yes I agree Iain. This is the same issue, in a different guise, to the one that Paul identified. It’s my own fault. When I built the database on our side I forgot to retrieve the total points for each season. Instead of going back and doing it properly, I instead decided to calculate the total, which I now remember is more complex than just the sum of all of the scores. I will fix it. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
I am looking into this at the moment. As a side effect the points from previous years will look very odd for a while.
JonT

Post by JonT »

JonT wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:54 pm
JonT wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:05 pm

- Iain
I am looking into this at the moment. As a side effect the points from previous years will look very odd for a while.
....and there was a perfect demonstration of me learning as I go along. Today's lesson "Don't run something to update the database that everyone can see unless you are sure you have tested it first!". #-o :oops:

Anyway, I think the scores for all years are now correctly calculated. At one point there they were all set to the rower's 500m score :shock:

Now I just spotted the bonus points are missing from years other than the current one. I'll look into it. :evil:
Last edited by JonT on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:59 pm You could combine with Rodger's Meta-nonathlon if he doesn't object.

- Iain
Rodger's Meta-nonathlon is of course a different beast, and only works for Free Spirits at the moment. For now I think we will leave Roger to work his magic, but it is worth thinking about at some point.
Dogma Dave
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Dogma Dave »

JonT wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:25 pm
Dogma Dave wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:51 am Superb piece of work Jon...
I liked your response before you edited it :fsbgrin:

If you want to do something about your score colouring, can I suggest the Premium version, available at a small monthly cost, where your scores are guaranteed to look far better. Money back guaranteed if you are not completely satisfied :lol:
Haha. Caught in the act Jon... :lol:

For those that were not as lightning quick as Jon, I originally noted pre-edit that the analyser was great. The one small problem it had, however, was that, for some reason, all my entries were completely the wrong colour... :roll:

Time to fess up I reckon. My nonathlon strategy is quite simple. As at Christmas 2019 I was 85kg. Currently, subject to daily fluctuations, I am 77kg. Just another 2kg to go... :oops:

Until then, I’m happy to sign up to the Premium version. Cash in hand OK Jon?... :lol:
JonT

Post by JonT »

JonT wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:47 pm Now I just spotted the bonus points are missing from years other than the current one. I'll look into it. :evil:
This is now fixed (I hope).
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

JonT wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:48 pm
Iain wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:59 pm You could combine with Rodger's Meta-nonathlon if he doesn't object.

- Iain
Rodger's Meta-nonathlon is of course a different beast, and only works for Free Spirits at the moment. For now I think we will leave Roger to work his magic, but it is worth thinking about at some point.
Great work, Jon! I particularly like the radar graphs and the 'interesting facts'. Maybe a worthy addition to the season radar graphs would be to show a distance average across all seasons.

I wonder, why would you say the meta-nonathlon is a different beast? Both use data from the same base for multiple seasons of each rower.

To be honest, I have been putting off starting the new meta season because I haven't sat on my rower in all of 2020 and I don't think this will change anytime soon. Without the personal motivation it's harder to commit, but I do feel the sense of duty. I can start up the new meta-nonathlon soon if people want me to, but I certainly would have no objection if it gets integrated into this analyser instead.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Crushy

Post by Crushy »

Jon
Just having a look and picked Stan as someone that I knew had been doing Nonathalon for a while. The radar graph section of his personal has a Fatal error message as he hasn't done anything this year (or for the last few). I don't think it will affect too many as most people looking at things will be currently active but you might want to catch that for a wider release version.
Crushy
Irregular socially competitive rower. (b. 1966) Always hated erging. Started again for excersise in lockdown.
Crushy

Post by Crushy »

BTW I don't want this to sound negative, I love what you've done with this analyser, really useful.
Irregular socially competitive rower. (b. 1966) Always hated erging. Started again for excersise in lockdown.
Crushy

Post by Crushy »

All

One thing that has been puzzling me is why the 10k and 30min seem to be switched around?
I can see that it wouldn't necessarily be a given but I would think that for a majority of people there 30min score would be below 10k ;-)
I guess it's historical but if you look at peoples sigs they do have the 30min and 10k the other way round.

Crushy
JonT

Post by JonT »

Crushy wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:43 pm All

One thing that has been puzzling me is why the 10k and 30min seem to be switched around?
I can see that it wouldn't necessarily be a given but I would think that for a majority of people there 30min score would be below 10k ;-)
I guess it's historical but if you look at peoples sigs they do have the 30min and 10k the other way round.

Crushy
Yes - that is a bit weird. I hadn't noticed it until I started this work. It's a dilemma really. Keep it in line with the Nonathlon, or switch it to the more logical order. I suppose being in line with Nonathlon makes more sense.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Crushy wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:30 pm Jon
Just having a look and picked Stan as someone that I knew had been doing Nonathalon for a while. The radar graph section of his personal has a Fatal error message as he hasn't done anything this year (or for the last few). I don't think it will affect too many as most people looking at things will be currently active but you might want to catch that for a wider release version.
Crushy
Great spot, thanks. As you say, it won't impact many people, but it still needs fixing. That's what this testing is all about. I'll put it up at the top of the to-do list. I see the 2020 radar also looks very odd for Stan because he has no data for that year either. This shouldn't bee too hard to fix.

And, by the way, that isn't being negative. It's being really useful at spotting the things I have missed. I'm sure there are many more lurking.
Last edited by JonT on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Rodger wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:45 am I can start up the new meta-nonathlon soon if people want me to, but I certainly would have no objection if it gets integrated into this analyser instead.
I certainly appreciate the information in the meta-nonathlon page, Roger. I can imagine that you're not very keen on updating the board when not rowing yourself though.
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

It looks great Jon. I just have one issue to report. My record only goes back to 2016, although I have been competing in the nonathlon for a lot longer.

I thought it might be a general issue, but I note that other members have records going back to 2007.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Crushy

Post by Crushy »

Paul V
Looking at Nonathlon you seem to have varied your name over time.
Current Paul Victory
Previously PaulVic and PAULVIC
I think this might be what's causing the issue.
Crushy
Crushy

Post by Crushy »

JonT
From a purely geeky PoV I was thinking re the 30min/10k thing and noticed that my graphs would have a more pleasing shape if the two were reversed. I seem to be better at the 2K to 30min section and it slopes off at either end except for a bump where the 30/10 thing happens.
This is all just my slight OCD (I think all geeks have this to a degree) but thought I would mention it.
Crushy