Nonathlon 2021

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

RichK
Warming up
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Re: Nonathlon 2021

Post by RichK »

hi,

can you please add me too?

RichK

Many thanks
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by JonT »

RichK wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:04 pm can you please add me too?
I've added you to https://copernicusservices.com/phptest/Nonathlon.php Rich.

Stan will add you on the Nonathlon site when he is next on. At some point we will get these in sync :D
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

paulgould wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:52 am
JonT wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:53 pm The latest iteration of the tool is here - https://copernicusservices.com/phptest/Nonathlon.php
Very nice job you have done there Jon - also nice to see I am the only one without a garish colour scheme for my scores :D :D :D

Paul G
I really love what Jon has done with the above tool and it's helping to motivate me to keep improving. Very well done, Jon. =D> ^O^ =D> ^O^ =D>

By doing a 2k today, I've managed to replicate Paul G's feat of having all my scores the same colour. I've also achieved my initial target of having nonathlon scores of 800 or above over all distances up to 10k, so I need to set new targets. I think 850 should be achievable over at least some of the distances, so that's my new objective.

Watch this space! 8)
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Dogma Dave
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Dogma Dave »

I must agree. Jon has brought the Nonathlon to life. Well done young man ...
JonT

Post by JonT »

Thanks for the feedback folks. It is appreciated and I'm glad you are finding something that started out as "just having a play" to be useful. :fswink:

I have a few other ideas but I also need to shift more of my time here on getting the ownership of Meterboard etc shifted over from Thomas.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

It's certainly stimulating, Jon. Got rid of my last lght green 'score' and turned it into blue, 905 points for 7840 meters in 30 minutes. Thought it might be to warm to achieve a score like this but I managed. A nice even pace with something left in the end. Here a higher pace then my 5K as well, so there's work to be done there. On the other hand there is also a orange 'average' and a light green 'average'. Hm, lots of work to be done, but the season has only just begun.
As uyou can sen, Jon, your work is appreciated.
The score today is also better then last season, which is good for the meta-nonathlon as well.
30Min.JPG
30Min.JPG (39.52 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

RichK wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:04 pm hi,

can you please add me too?

RichK

Many thanks
Hi Rich you are in
pb times
Stan

Post by Stan »

ok exciting news. Got an email today saying I am now eligible to buy a C2, so I placed the order a few minutes ago and it should be arriving early next week. Excited and scared at the same time now.
pb times
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Stan wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:48 pm ok exciting news. Got an email today saying I am now eligible to buy a C2, so I placed the order a few minutes ago and it should be arriving early next week. Excited and scared at the same time now.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
plummy

Post by plummy »

No turning back now Stan. I expect to see a plethora of SBs and PBs in the near future.. ;-)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Stan, it'll be great to have you back rowing again.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

That's great news Stan. Looking forward to seeing you back on the meterboard and taking part in the monthly challenges. It might even arrive in time for this month's CTC! :twisted:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Stan

Post by Stan »

ok its arrived. Found it abandoned in my car park when I got home from work yesterday :evil:
Will post my first session later today. :shock:
pb times
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Great, Stan. Have fun!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FP3 met Tapatalk

fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Originally planned to do something else today, CTC for instance, with Wolfie so close to me :fswink: , but had to do some work and my wife needed the study for her work (where my C2 is located) so decided to do a 500m, which was my lowest score to date in the Nonathlon. Very pleased with the result, 1:33.3, faster then last season, a bit slower then two seasons ago, but nevertheless another blue score on Jon's inspiring board. My 6th 900+ score this season.
I've reached my highest position now in the Nonathlon I guess, the gap with number 13 is too big. I'll be losing spots from now on.
My highest total score has been 8140, I think that will be my goal, now it's 8094.
Dogma Dave
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Dogma Dave »

Genuine question. Clarification requested.

Talk to me about interpolation. I’m confused.

If people take actual intermediate metre readings at actual intermediate times within a piece, then this is not what i would consider interpolation. Rather it’s an intermediate split. Happy with that.

Are we though saying that people sometimes take their 5k time as simply 50% of their 10k time?

If so, what please is the point in/reasonable justification behind interpolating scores for the nonathlon?

Regardless of that though, given that one has 365 days to register merely 9 scores, ie one score every 40 days, why interpolate anyway?

Are we really saying that people can’t be arsed to post just nine different performances over a one year period?

Is not the entire point of nonathlon to showcase one’s performances across nine different events?
JonT

Post by JonT »

Dogma Dave wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:12 am Are we though saying that people sometimes take their 5k time as simply 50% of their 10k time?

If so, what please is the point in/reasonable justification behind interpolating scores for the nonathlon?

Regardless of that though, given that one has 365 days to register merely 9 scores, ie one score every 40 days, why interpolate anyway?

Are we really saying that people can’t be arsed to post just nine different performances over a one year period?
Dave, you can only interpolate, you can't extrapolate (i.e. you can only go to a lesser time/distance, not a greater one). You can use half your 1k time as a 500m score, but you can't double your 500m score to get a 1k score

I agree with you about doing the actual event rather than interpolating. I always end up doing this by the end of the season, but sometimes I interpolate at the start of the season just to give me a bit of a target to aim for when I do the actual event. I think this is the case for most of the people on the forum. A good example is this month's C2CTC. I interpolated the 2,112 down to a 2k Nonathlon score so I know what I should be aiming for later this year when I do a 2k for the Nonathlon.
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

A good question Dave, and a good answer from Jon ...
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Cwd74
Warming up

Post by Cwd74 »

I’m back to rowing after a decade or so away! Would be grateful if you could add me. Thanks!
Stan

Post by Stan »

Cwd74 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:25 pm I’m back to rowing after a decade or so away! Would be grateful if you could add me. Thanks!
You are in :D
pb times
Cwd74
Warming up

Post by Cwd74 »

Stan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:05 pm
Cwd74 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:25 pm I’m back to rowing after a decade or so away! Would be grateful if you could add me. Thanks!
You are in :D
Thank you Stan - time to start working on my scores 👍
JonT

Post by JonT »

Cwd74 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:02 am Thank you Stan - time to start working on my scores 👍
Welcome to the FreeSpirits and to the Nonathlon. :fsbgrin:

You can also look at your scores relative to the other Spirits and get some analysis of your scores so far using the colour-code options at the bottom of the page here. This is a work in progress, with an updated version showing more analysis for those who have rowed this for some years now, coming in a week or so. At some point we will move this tool to the main Freespirits web site, and the Nonathlon team have also asked if they can publish a link to it when I have finished what is turning out to be a real labour of love. #-o
Cwd74
Warming up

Post by Cwd74 »

JonT wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:28 am
Cwd74 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:02 am Thank you Stan - time to start working on my scores 👍
Welcome to the FreeSpirits and to the Nonathlon. :fsbgrin:

You can also look at your scores relative to the other Spirits and get some analysis of your scores so far using the colour-code options at the bottom of the page here. This is a work in progress, with an updated version showing more analysis for those who have rowed this for some years now, coming in a week or so. At some point we will move this tool to the main Freespirits web site, and the Nonathlon team have also asked if they can publish a link to it when I have finished what is turning out to be a real labour of love. #-o
It's a really impressive piece of work - makes it much easier to see areas for improvement. I started the Pete Plan three weeks ago and seeing very clear progress so far :D
JonT

Post by JonT »

Cwd74 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:02 pm It's a really impressive piece of work - makes it much easier to see areas for improvement. I started the Pete Plan three weeks ago and seeing very clear progress so far :D
You're braver then I! I've never gathered the courage and determination to do the Pete Plan. I always convinced myself that I was working away from home too much to be able to focus on it - that excuse has long gone #-o

You should let people know how you are getting on on this thread...
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Jon, the only ything scarry about PP is the paces that you set yourself. If you follow the suggested starting paces (for interval sessions - the tough bit - the pace you have done for the total session without rests, so with rests they are fairly easy) then the sessions are quite gentle to start with and essentially allow you to build a bit of a base before they get tougher. People use it to sharpen for a particular event and so dive in at tough paces as they are only intending to stay on it 6-9 weeks, that is why it has the reputation for being scarry. It is actually a cut down version of the Wolverine designed to fit into lunch breaks. I used it from about my 3rd session back to go from couch potatoe to moderately fit.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.