Nonathlon 2021

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Nonathlon 2021

Post by Wolfmiester »

I've just noticed that 16 of the top 17 in our FS filter are in our 50's....
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

New 2k and 6k times in the past week have given me 2 new 900+ scores :shock: 8)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Wolfmiester wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:41 am New 2k and 6k times in the past week have given me 2 new 900+ scores :shock: 8)
Well done Steve some great times your putting in 👍💪
Crushy
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Crushy »

New 6k PB taking 25 seconds off of my old time.
An extra few Nonathlon points.
Irregular socially competitive rower. (b. 1966) Always hated erging. Started again for excersise in lockdown.
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Apologies if this is very belated, but congratulations to Jon for breaking through 8000 nonathlon points for the first time ^O^ =D> ^O^ A
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Mike Channin
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Wolfmiester wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:40 am I've just noticed that 16 of the top 17 in our FS filter are in our 50's....
I'm not showing on the FS Filter, but if I was, I am also now in my 50's ;-)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Hmm. And I need to update my footer, having done some SB's recently.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
JonT

Post by JonT »

Mike Channin wrote:
Wolfmiester wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:40 am I've just noticed that 16 of the top 17 in our FS filter are in our 50's....
I'm not showing on the FS Filter, but if I was, I am also now in my 50's ;-)
Mike, what is your Nonathlon user name, and have you used any different ones in the past?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Hi Jon - it is s3mjc, and I've used that throughout my Nonathlon 'career'. Thanks!
JonT

Post by JonT »

Mike Channin wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:27 pm Hi Jon - it is s3mjc, and I've used that throughout my Nonathlon 'career'. Thanks!
I've added you to the Nonathlon Analyser which has picked up all of your past history too.

Stan has to add you to the team on the Nonathlon website, but I don't think he has been on the forum recently.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Wow - that's really impressive - thank you!
Iain
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Dogma Dave wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:12 am...given that one has 365 days to register merely 9 scores, ie one score every 40 days, why interpolate anyway?

Are we really saying that people can’t be arsed to post just nine different performances over a one year period?

Is not the entire point of nonathlon to showcase one’s performances across nine different events?
Sorry about returning to this after so long, but it really stung. I don't think I have ever finished a season with all 9 events included from TT at those distances.

I think the issue is 3 fold:

1) Some distances are really scary, it takes a special effort for me to commit 100% to a 2k and to a lesser extent 5k. Feeble I know, but despite this being privately done I actually have a few nights if broken sleep when getting ready for them. Stupid I know as it is entirely self imposed and I will never do times that worry the larger erging community! Last year I went through this for the "Henley" CTC and knew there was little increase to be had so didn't do a flat out 2k.

2) Nonathlon is not the only competition. I always prioritise the CTC and IRL when entered as well as the C2 challenges. There are limited opportunities each month to do all out TT as I need to be well rested and take at least 2 days since last hard row, one preferably a complete rest day. This interferes with training.

3) most importantly my form varies massively through the season with injuries, illnesses and other things getting in the way of erging. Other than 500 and 2k I did an all out TT at all distances last year (with lock-down I had more time and I was injured when IRL sign up happened so wasn't included in that). 500 was a bit of laziness at times, but I had a reasonable 500 from intervals (much faster last) and had back issues and I knew 500 would make this worse (actually think it is worst for my back due to technique compromises as I tire). But my 1 hour time was interpolated from my HM PB. I think there were only a few weeks in the year when I was capable of doing a quicker PB. I had hoped to have a go, but then pace faded. I even failed in April to break the poor 10k I did as part of the Heptathlon challenge, the average was only 0.5S/500m faster than my HM, but I failed and finished at a slower average than the HM over 10k.

Now I agree that there is a case for changing the rules to only allow TTs at those distances. This would change the event. It is surprising how many people fail to complete 9 events (many obviously not taking advantage of interpolation as they have times / faster times for longer distances). I think maintaining participation is one of the nonathlon's key attributes so if this was reduced I think the erging community would be the poorer. If fitness has been maintained there are improvements available on the interpolated results that provide an incentive to do an extra TT over a less favoured distance and I think this balance is sufficient. But this is FS and I acknowledge and respect your right to disagree :fsgrin:

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain,

I have to admit I had not really thought about this, and had missed this debate previously.

I have to agree that I agree with you on this. Everyone gets their own benefits and motivation from events like the Nonathlon. For me it has the attraction of some friendly competition, a reminder of where I have and have not been focussed during the season, and sometime a motivator to go for a flat-out TT. You are quite in saying that a TT, even you are serious, is sometimes a daunting prospect, in when mixed in and amongst other challenges on and off the erg is something that many will not have the time and energy to attempt across every Nonathlon distance. So a mixture of pure TT attempts and interpolated scores is always going to be the way that I go with the Nonathlon.

If others choose to be more purist about the Nonathlon, then that is their prerogative and they are almost certainly going to produce their best Nonathlon score because of the focus that this would involve. But I don't think there is a need to be prescriptive about these things. Each to their own. What really matters is that we are erging, we are trying, and we are getting some form of enjoyment and satisfaction from the process.

Jon