do you want a new captain

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

do you want a new captain

Post by Stan »

Good Evening all.
I took on the role of captain pretty early on to ensure we could take part in various erg challenges as a team. This was pretty easy for me to do as I was regularly rowing. Over 3 or 4 years I have not been rowing as much and have admittedly neglected some of my captainly duties. I am hoping that once c2 begin manufacture that I will be able to purchase my own machine and get back into this sport. However I do feel somebody who has been and will continue to be more committed than me may want to take on this role. Peter Weiss has expressed an interest providing I am the one to suggest it as he didn't want it to look like a mutiny! Frankly I probably deserve to made to walk the plank.
There may be others who would also welcome the opportunity to serve the club in this way so perhaps we could start a debate about who should take this role on and then maybe hold a vote. In my view it does need to be somebody like Peter who has been here a long time and is likely to continue to be heavily committed. David Plumb springs to mind also.
The procedure would be simple as I just need to nominate somebody who is listed by C2 as a member of free spirits. The message would go to the nominee who would presumably just need to accept.
Feel free to debate and nominate.
pb times
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: do you want a new captain

Post by JonT »

First of all Stan, many, many thanks for your excellent captaincy. You certainly have no plank to walk in my eyes.

Second, do you want to give it up? I would be perfectly happy to keep things as they are if that is your preference.

Third, Peter would get my full support if you want things to change.

Finally, I am very grateful to all the Free Spirits who keep the group going through their efforts and to all of those who contribute to the forum and events.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Thank you very much for your efforts so far! And as Jon points out no need to fear the plank :-)

Both Peter and Dave would be great candidates to take over, and would get my full support, if you decide to hand it over. Although if you plan to be more active with the new erg that might not be needed?

I have to admit that I have my moments where I think that a captain could be more visible and active to gather and motivate the team, especially when we see the high numbers of members on the C2 teams page and the Meterboard. Those numbers do not get matched by the turn up at team challenges, C2CTC or the forum.
Therefore I often wonder why those people sign up for a team but never show/contribute/....
But on the other side we are the FreeSpirits so not sure it goes well with the teams origin to expect anything from members.

Not sure though what a captain can do to change that. I would be a terrible candidate as I would throw out all the dead weight that hasn’t signed up for the team challenges in over a year and done at least one C2CTC a year ;-)

I am very happy and thankful for all the active members in the challenges and the forum, as without them there would be no team and I would have left already.
\:D/ πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ‡³πŸ‡±πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡©πŸ‡°πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

A big thank you and no planking need from me as well, Stan.
Peter has offered to be of service, I'm sure he's a great candidate and I fully support him. Which would be the case in Dave's candidacy as well, but I don't really know if he has mentioned any aspirations in this direction. Perhaps he's scared stiff seeing his name popping up in this discussion (though I don't think so). But, as said, both would have my full support.
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Stan, thanks for starting this thread! You have served the team for a long time, literally from the beginning of Free Spirits. I understand that it's difficult to keep up motivation with no access to a rowing machine. I do hope you will enjoy erging again as soon as you get your own rower. If you still want to change over captaincy, I'd be happy to take over. But like you said, David plumb also springs to mind.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

"Do I want a new captain" ? No.
But do I respect the fact that you have done it for 14 years and feel like a change would be beneficial for both you and Free Spirits? 100% yes.
Thanks for being there Andrew (getting formal now :-) ) and the efforts put in.
One proviso, you do commit to buying your own machine and take up again as a casual member!
(Have you seen the price of 2nd hand ones currently?!! A 'new' one went for over Β£2,000 the other week. Which gives a whole new meaning to an erg 2k)
Not sure about a 'vote' as it would be very difficult to choose. If Peter has been nominated, and given a willingness, that's good enough for me.
Cheers Stan, Steve :-)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Stan - first of all - thanks for your 14 years of effort as captain - I would be happy to see you continue but if you feel you want to hand over the reins to someone new I would also be happy to see Peter(or David if he is interested) as both have been active and committed members for as long as I can remember.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

One of the best summing ups of my character came 4 jobs ago when I got "promoted" to Assembly Warehouse Manager for a company in Leeds (UK) and (through absolutely no fault of mine) it "didn't go very well". The then Managing Director said of me "some people make better Lieutenants than Captains". At the time I didn't think too much of it but as I've matured I think that pretty much hit the nail on the head.

So, although very flattered to have seen my name suggested positively on more than one occasion above I'm very happy to let Peter step into the Captain's shoes if he wants to - and if he wants me to be a faithful sidekick if and as needed, I'll fill-in with pleasure. That said, maybe Stan can carry on in a deputy/adviser/consultancy role as he is so well experienced already.

Of course, I wouldn't want to presume that someone else from within the team isn't interested but I think if they do, they should shout up as soon as possible. I do agree that whoever is chosen, they should be very visible to all in regular contributions to the forum and active in as many challenges as possible.

Dave Plumb
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Dave,
plummy wrote: ↑Tue May 19, 2020 9:19 am and if he wants me to be a faithful sidekick if and as needed, I'll fill-in with pleasure. That said, maybe Stan can carry on in a deputy/adviser/consultancy role as he is so well experienced already.
I'd very much appreciate that, from both of you.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

redshell
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

Stan, its obviously your call but I agree with Wolfie & Paul G I'm very happy for you to continue. You done great work over the years......a big thank you
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Stan, I think you've done a great job over the years and I would be very happy to see you stay on as captain. But I also feel that you've more than done your duty and are entitled to hand on the reins if you feel that you would like a break.

However, you say that you are planning to by a C2 and get back into erging regularly. I think you should do this before making any final decision on whether to relinquish your role.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

This is an interesting discussion. On one hand there are a few times where I would have expected a Captain to be more visible. However, on the other hand having a leader that takes their duties lightly is very much in the ethos of Free Spirits. It's part of who we are and I think it's important not to lose that or we risk being just another team. On balance I like the light touch, but I do think there are times where leadership can be important. For example the future of the leaderboard (I'm not sure if it's been fully resolved or not). A huge thank you to Stan for keeping Free Spirits special for 14 years and if it's the right time for you to step down then I'd be happy for Peter to step up :fssmile:
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

I totally agree, Max, keep the free spirits free. But sometimes the captain can give just a little stimulation or guidance in some matters. But I want to emphasize the freeness. There were times when I was not very active either on the erg or in the forum (where I'm not a very frequent participant anyway) but the team helps me to start up again when needed after a slow erg period.
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

MaxMacLaren1 wrote: ↑Thu May 21, 2020 8:37 am This is an interesting discussion. On one hand there are a few times where I would have expected a Captain to be more visible. However, on the other hand having a leader that takes their duties lightly is very much in the ethos of Free Spirits. It's part of who we are and I think it's important not to lose that or we risk being just another team. On balance I like the light touch, but I do think there are times where leadership can be important. For example the future of the leaderboard (I'm not sure if it's been fully resolved or not). A huge thank you to Stan for keeping Free Spirits special for 14 years and if it's the right time for you to step down then I'd be happy for Peter to step up :fssmile:
You have raised some very good points here, Max.
I, for one, am really attracted to FS by the ethos of the club and would not be happy if that changed, so would hope that whoever takes over from Stan if he does not wish to continue, maintains the laissez-faire approach.
There are plenty of clubs out there who will harangue you every month to take part in all the challenges and to row gazillions of miles but would not want FS to become one of them.
Just my 2p worth :fsgrin: :fsgrin:

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Thanks for your input, Stan!

Yes, I guess in most other Clubs they want a Captain that is very visible and active! But as various stated above, the heart and soul of our Free Spirits is the only-one-rules ethos we have. As such you're still my image of our captain, even though less active erg-wise than say 10y ago! So what I am trying to say, is that it is your call if you want to continue, Stan! :D

Even though it is good of you to think of the future, I guess it should be separate, so the members (that want) should decide who should become our New Captain in that case.

(if the choice is between Peter and Dave I will probably vote for Peter, and I guess this has much to do with with the Lieutenants vs Captains dicussion that Dave himself bought up...)

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thank you very much all of you for the kind words.

I think Paul hit the nail on the head when he said Free Spirits needs a light touch because the whole reason we were founded was to enable us to do what we want and not be tied down by what a captain wants. The team has been blessed with a lot of sensible people who don't need telling what to do all the time. If people don't wish to participate then the should not have to, at the same time the idea is to provide opportunities to take part. The 3 separate rowing events c2 hold requires the captain to sign the club up to, and I have managed to do that every time. It simply requires you guys to sign up as well. C2s recent spring viii was a little different and slightly cumbersome but easy to do once I figured it out. To be honest if these events did not exist there would be no need for us to have a captain at all.

On a separate issue there is also the matter of the nonathlon captaincy, which I need to get started this year. I am not sure how the captaincy would transferred for that or whether it even needs to be.
The reason that I asked about whether you needed a new captain was because I felt my absence was possibly holding you back and you should have the opportunity to debate it, and Peter had volunteered to take it on (with your agreement of course) if I didn't feel able to do it anymore. Once c2 start manufacturing again I hope my position on their waiting list is nearer the top than the bottom, but when the opportunity presents itself I will be purchasing one. Wolfie I have seen the prices for 2nd hand machines of Β£2000 and I simply will not be ripped off like that!

With that in mind I would very much like to carry on being captain if there are no serious objections, so I will be logging in more often and I will let you all know that I have the new machine by mysteriously reappearing on the meter board. On that note I have no idea how we could replicate it, that's going need somebody with some computer knowhow!
pb times
JonT

Post by JonT »

Stan wrote: ↑Sun May 24, 2020 12:21 pm With that in mind I would very much like to carry on being captain if there are no serious objections, so I will be logging in more often and I will let you all know that I have the new machine by mysteriously reappearing on the meter board.
That gets my vote Stan. Thanks for offering to keep going.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thanks Jon, appreciate the vote of confidence and I wont let you down. I have started by getting us registered on the nonathlon site as a team again. I have added those names that I recognise but if you are a free spirit who has been missed off, please let me know on the nonathlon thread that I am about to start.
pb times
Tako

Post by Tako »

Sounds to me that you will continue Stan :-) ImageImage

Hope you get your erg soon!!

I fully agree with almost everything you said; however, personally I think that if one does not contribute the meters to the team then why at all sign up?

Example:
On the c2 log honour board there is currently a rower that has an incredible amount of meters, while he is not visible in the team/affiliation listing, Meterboard or elsewhere, he has Free Spirit as his affiliation. Daily average of more than 47k on the rowing erg!!!
Maybe it is sometimes just a question of not knowing how to sign up? That there is a forum? A Meterboard?

Do you as a captain have the possibility to reach out to individuals that chose FS as affiliation?
Maybe it would be an idea to update the teams description on the c2 log page and send new members some info on how and where to set the settings?

\:D/ πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ‡³πŸ‡±πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡©πŸ‡°πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

JonT wrote: ↑Sun May 24, 2020 12:32 pm
Stan wrote: ↑Sun May 24, 2020 12:21 pm With that in mind I would very much like to carry on being captain if there are no serious objections, so I will be logging in more often and I will let you all know that I have the new machine by mysteriously reappearing on the meter board.
I echo that sentiment - delighted that you want to continue.

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

paulgould wrote: ↑Sun May 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Paul G
The same goes for me, Stan. Good to hear you decided to do this.
commodoreann
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by commodoreann »

Stan gets my vote too!
fkoene wrote: ↑Sun May 24, 2020 8:38 pm
paulgould wrote: ↑Sun May 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Paul G
The same goes for me, Stan. Good to hear you decided to do this.
Thanks for everything over the years. You are truly a great Free Spirit. =D>

Ann :fsbgrin:
I am not getting older, just better. (not bad for a 74 year young lady)
CRASH B silver medal 65-69 lwt 2016
33 million lifetime meters plus and counting......(05/12/20)
5 million season 4/07/11
actually 5.301,526 4/30/11
#44 on the C2 board
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

One clarification from my side, to avoid a wrong impression: in a PM based discussion how to get along with the spring viii series Stan suggested to hand over captaincy to Plummy or me. In the interest of transparency I asked for an open discussion on the forum, hence Stan started this thread. It was not my intention to start "mutiny".

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Personally I never had that idea, Peter. Just good team intentions from your side I believe.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FP3 met Tapatalk

JonT

Post by JonT »

fkoene wrote: ↑Mon May 25, 2020 8:58 am Personally I never had that idea, Peter. Just good team intentions from your side I believe.
Same here. I was just really pleased you had offered Peter. No sense of mutiny, just a willingness to step up for the team.