Covid-19

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Covid-19

Post by JonT »

I know this is a bit of an odd topic, but like me I am sure that many of my fellow Free Spirits are becoming increasingly isolated, and any community is a positive help in my opinion. So I thought I would start a topic here for people to share how this is impacting them and what they are up to....and are they ill with the virus I suppose. If nothing else, it will keep us aware of what our fellow Spirits are experiencing. It will also go into the forum archives for that day, in years to come, when we say "Remember when the world was overtaken by that virus?!".

So. I will kick off....

I work for myself and so my workplace is wherever my clients are or my home office. My clients have all closed down their offices and are working remotely. So, for the foreseeable future I am at home all of the time. Many of you will know that the UK is taking a slightly different approach to many other countries right now. Technically I can still go out and about, but I am choosing not to do so unless I have to (food shopping etc). Videoconferences to replace meetings are working well, but I am aware that I am sitting completely still for hours on end, and let's be honest it doesn't compensate for those chats over coffee or at the water cooler!

I have not been feeling well for the last few days: headache, aching legs, slightly sore throat. If it is covid-19 I have got off very lightly, but I suspect it was some other minor virus. My wife has had the same thing and my daughter (who lives across the City from us) also has it. So I have not been training for the last few days.

Just to make matters worse, the builders arrived on Monday to do work on the house. The work has wiped out about half of the ground floor, including the area where my erg is. So I will be focussed on indoor cycling at this point - I am already working out how I can do next months CTC, luckily this month's is in the bag.

Over to you fellow Spirits. What are things like for you?
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Covid-19

Post by Paul Victory »

Apologies for encroaching on this thread, but I like to feel I'm still an honorary member of Free Spirits! I was due to go to Alvor yesterday as part of my annual March pilgrimage (for an owners' AGM).

Up until last Saturday, I was still hoping that I would be able to travel, but common sense prevailed and here I am, stuck in Dublin, with schools and pubs closed and everywhere else due to follow suit shortly.

I'm fortunate enough to have an erg in my back garden, but back problems have led to me doing practically no erging for the last several months, although this may change if I'm no longer allowed to go outdoors without a specific health related excuse. There's talk about people only being allowed out to go to pharmacies or to shop for food or other essentials or to walk their dog. A neighbour has offered to hire his dog out for those suffering from cabin fever. :lol:

I retired a few years back, so I don't have to deal with work related issues, although I've managed to replace that with worry about the state of my pension fund! :shock:

I hope that all Free Spirits are keeping safe and well and that we will all come through this crisis (relatively) unscathed.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Good idea Jon, and you are always welcome here Paul (as long as you promise never to mention pension funds again!!).
I've worked from home for years, so no change there for me. If anyone needs any tips on how to deal with it (it can be very strange at first) here a couple of biggies ... 1 - try and separate work from home, keep a desk space that is work only. When you 'leave' the desk you leave work. 2 - take regular breaks, oddly that is easier said than done. If you have a tea/coffee break, sit in the lounge or garden for example.
Work for me has gone bonkers because of COVID-19 (I work in communications) so I'm having to really focus on my own rules!
Luckily our spare room has the erg and treadmill, so no issues about exercising.
Biggest impact for us so far is travel. We were due to go on safari to Botswana next Wednesday for our 25th wedding anniversary. Never been to Africa before. That's not going to happen now.
Our son lives in Australia and he had a big European summer trip planned for his 30th birthday, that's not going to happen now.
Our youngest daughter is also in Australia and she's suffering from anxiety as she can't be close to us. So lots of face time there.
My wife Linzi has a low immunity due to some drugs she has to take for an eye condition, so we are doing our best to conform to the social isolation.
Insignificant compared to many or indeed anyone unlucky enough to catch it.
Stay safe everyone,
Wolfie
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
JonT

Post by JonT »

Paul Victory wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:37 pm Apologies for encroaching on this thread, but I like to feel I'm still an honorary member of Free Spirits!
It’s always good to hear from you Paul. Sorry to hear your rowing has been limited by back issues. I’ve never used an erg outside, I’m not sure what I would make of it.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Good idea indeed and as mentioned, always welcome, Paul.
Sad to hear all those trips are cancelled and your daughter misses you that much, as I can imagine.
As for me, I've taken over the study for working at home. My ERG was standing there already, so it's easy to take a rowing-break.
Normally I work four days a week, while working at home I've changed that to five shorter days with room for rowing and shopping during the lunch-break.
My sons follow online lessons from school, which are set up pretty quick. Respect for the teachers for adapting to the situation this way.
My wife, being a physician in the hospital, still has to work of course. Not very busy yet, she being a children's pulmonologist and children not being very much affected by Covid-19. That may change of course, when things get worse she will also be asked to help out with the adults.
Not a complete lock-down here (yet?) but it's very quiet on the streets.
Here's my office and gym for the next couple of weeks at least:
werkplek.jpg
werkplek.jpg (66.16 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
Stay safe
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Nice thread Jon.
I, like Wolfie, work primarily from home.
Added to that , I already live with a degree of isolation, by choice, on IOW, so not greatly affected.
Although we only have 1 active confirmed case on the island, there is still a lockdown.
It is affecting me as I can’t have visitors to hospital where I am currently, but that’s OK considering visits are restricted to acute and end of life patients only.
BTW, nice to hear from Mr V again - I have always found his achievements a great source of inspiration

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Hi All,
I'm in Milan, Italy so more or less the coronavirus epicentre at the moment.

We've been in lockdown for about 10 days now. Haven't left the house apart from a weekly visit to the shops and an emergency dental appointment.
Things are pretty crazy here, there's the constant noise of sirens from Ambulances in the background.

On the bright side, we have a large terrace so can relax in the sun.
The Concept2 in in the corner of the lounge and I can feel it looking at me, so I might need to do row now.

Stay safe folks and keep rowing!
6'6" 1971
plummy

Post by plummy »

So many of us appear to work from home - and I'm pretty much the same although I do usually go out and see customers at least one day a week (not this week). I'm not worried for myself (which may be tempting fate) but for others a lot more e.g. Mrs P and my dad are Type 2 diabetic, my mum and dad or both in their late 80's and my mum has COPD and emphysema so needs to stay away from the planet right now. My daughter has slight asthma (in addition to all the other recent traumas reported on FB).
I recently had laryngitis and it's taken nearly 2 weeks to fully clear it but it only slowed me down, didn't stop me.

I have my own trusty erg (about to get used) so there's no worries re keeping fit bar the on-going lack of mojo to climb on the thing. That said, the little battle on the meterboard has been quite fun recently.

One thing I did read recently was for all those exercising to stay out of the red zone completely and avoid the amber zone as this can in itself make your body more susceptible to bugs. So, plenty of paddling for me for now. Keep well, stay safe everyone.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:42 pm One thing I did read recently was for all those exercising to stay out of the red zone completely and avoid the amber zone as this can in itself make your body more susceptible to bugs. So, plenty of paddling for me for now. Keep well, stay safe everyone.
That's interesting Plummy. I'll try to keep that in mind, but it is a major weakness of mine. No matter what intentions I have at the start of a steady session, I always find some ridiculous challenge part way through ("I wonder if I could get past xK meters by the end". "I wonder if I could end with a pace of xx:yy"). It's ridiculous, but it's how I am wired I suppose. Perhaps your warning will help me be more disciplined. None of that is a problem right now given I still feel pretty rough and I had the added delight of waking up at midnight to the sound of running water. The plumbing in the building site that is my house had sprung a leak. Grrrrr. All sorted now though. Looking forward to going back to bed.

Meanwhile, the monthly rugby referee training session has become a virtual meeting using a video service. The topic for this month is "Managing play close to the touch line". My wife just rolled her eyes when I told her.

Take care all.
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

I usually go in to work but we have been told to get 50% of staff at home wherever possible. With computer based projects at the moment I was happy to save the hour drive each way. Here in Oz, Queensland, so far we are not in lock down. Large events all cancelled, social distancing highly recommended, self isolation if in doubt. Panic shopping is rampant, lucky I did the big weekly shop before the shelves were emptied. We seem to be lagging a little behind some other countries in case numbers etc but it is ramping up fairly fast. I have a sore throat and a headache for a number of days but I believe it is just a change of season thing as we head into winter. Everyone is paranoid of anyone that coughs or sneezes but that will only get worse as the flu and cold season ramps up.

I erg at home in the mornings and Im keeping that up to stay in the habit. The gym is still open so im still going there 4 times a week. Im hoping the exercise physiologist will be able to write a home based strength program quickly if we all get told to stay home and/or the gym shuts. Queensland indoor titles are being postponed until early October at the moment. New South Wales may be a bit different as they have more cases. I am concerned about my parents both with emphysema and 1 with lung cancer and in the middle of moving house to a retirement community so stress is high.

I hope common sense and decency remains and returns for those that lost it during the panic buying.

Stay safe out there people
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Draggon »

Indiana boy here. I work at an electric utility, but I am not considered essential operations, so as of Monday evening, I packed up my workstation and brought it home. I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future as the US's numbers continue to climb and are likely out of control beyond our current knowledge. We've been using Microsoft Teams to communicate, and I hate to admit I'm actually growing to like it a bit.... :)

I've always been a bit of a loner, so this isn't really bothering me yet. Gimme a couple of weeks, and I might change my tune. My wife is a real estate appraiser, so she's still getting out and into others' homes. I've made her promise to wear latex gloves and a mask at each appointment, and to try not to touch anything.

My new work desk is the end of our long dining room table. Luckily, I'm kind of a computer nerd, so I've got a fairly robust wireless network in the house. That's certainly helping with this VPN and cloud services business.

The erg is upstairs in the bonus room where it's been since 2012. I've been whipping myself back into some semblance of shape a bit at a time over the last 10 weeks or so. I've always been partial to 30 minute rows, so that's my staple. I've never cared for the red zone, so I don't have to worry about that... :D

I hate to say it, but I'm kind of digging this work from home thing. It's nice to get a row in at lunchtime when I want to.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks for the kind thoughts folks and I’m glad to hear everyone is keeping well. That’s good advice from plummy, not that it’s particularly relevant to me right now. :roll: But I will try to row back my tendency to overdo things if I venture back onto the erg at some stage.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
JonT

Post by JonT »

Well my daughter is now out of work with her gym shutting down for the foreseeable future and with her being a self-employed personal trainer.

Her plan is to set up our back garden as a makeshift training area for clients who want to keep training.

I was the test pilot yesterday....hopefully you can access the time lapse.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkUZayJmsaCe6UYQrQGMLP-UOJOW

I’m “sore in parts” today.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Every cloud has a silver lining. The builders working on my house have moved off-site because a number of them have gone into self isolation. The room where my erg is is still intact. I can still row!

I'm just looking for some positives in a pretty negative period.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I think it's important to keep a positive attitude and humour can help. See attached clip for an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyziHklQXTo
jolo

Post by jolo »

Michigan goes on lockdown at midnight. Glad I have my c2 rower and BikeErg. The BikeErg has been getting a good workout on Zwift lately.

Lots of strength training on rower at high drag and low rate. Good for build strong core. :)
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg
Iain

Post by Iain »

I am between contracts (had a new one cancelled as the crisis struck), so stuck at home. Able to do much more training than previous. Was doing a lot of baking, but am now out of bread flour! Trying to keep in touch with as many as possible through facetime etc. As an introvert, not too affected by the isolation. Last night had a hockey goal keeping training session in the kitchen (reactions) to keep my son active. Have even persuaded him to do some erg sessions now his 7+ sports sessiosn a nwek has come to an abrupt stop!

Posed the issue of what training we should be doing on the C2 Forum. Received the following paper for anyone interested:
http://researchonline.ljmu.ac.uk/id/epr ... %20EIR.pdf

Keep safe:

Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

In Mallorca, Spain we're in the 2nd week of lockdown and already it's been extended by a further 2 weeks. Glad to say everyone is taking it seriously and if you are out the police are likely to stop you and ask why. I was even told off on Saturday for not going to the bakers nearest to my home (in my defence the nearest one was shut!). Unlike the UK there is no 'allowed out once a day for excercise' so thank goodness we have a dog as are allowed to walk him. But only one of us at a time.

Interesting article from Iain, I always thought pushing yourself too hard made you more susceptible to infection and hadn't realised there is so much debate about it. But I'll be (mostly) erring on the side of caution and taking things easy.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
jolo

Post by jolo »

Thank you for the article Iain. If I am reading it correctly moderate exercise is good. No exercise or extreme exercise is bad.

They also say drinking lowers my immunity #-o
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg
MikeM
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by MikeM »

I'm an hour south of Philadelphia in a rural area. Pennsylvania is in a lock down type of situation, you're only supposed to go out for food shopping or doctors etc. I retired a year ago and with the lock down I have more time to row but wonder if I'm over doing it after reading the article posted by Iain. I'm not going out much, I erg and so far painted one whole bedroom. Does anyone know what "overdoing" it is? I usually keep my heart rate below 130 bpm so I'm really not stressing and straining, just going for distance. I hope everyone stays safe! -Mike
Iain

Post by Iain »

Mike,

No-one knows where the transition from moderate exercise improving immunity changes to reducing immunity. The research has all been at the extremes, so over training and training to exhaustion seems to be detrimental (although one-off hard sessions are not beyond doubt). Personally I m still doing tough sessions, but only when I am refreshed , while I am still doing 15k sessions, just making sure some of it is UT2 rather than UT1. I would guess that doing a bit less or slower than you are used to shouldn't compromise your system too much. Also being extra cautious of any minor ailments and not doing the hardest sessions just before or after any significant exposure risks that you run.

I would be interested in knowing how others are interpretting.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Yes, as for me you are always welcome here, Paul V! 😃 And yes, we have had that not-overdoing-things dicussion like a million times! :lol:

Plummy, I hope your daughter is doing fine! :fssmile:

Yeah, as for me I was experiencing some very vague and strange symptoms. .. I got tested twice, one time even hospitalized, both were negative... So the result was surprising to me... It was my anxiety "producing" those symptoms... :shock: Anyways, it is all being taken care of, so no worries, my fellow Free Spirits!

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Glad to hear you're OK Erik. It's a stressful time for all of us, particularly those who have had health issues. Stay safe and well, my friend.
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Thanks for your nice words and concern, Paul! :fssmile:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Jill

Post by Jill »

The following ( from yesterday’s The Times newspaper ) is from an article about the possible availability of a coronavirus vaccine. Jonathan Van-Tam is the deputy chief medical officer.

“ Jonathan Van-Tam said that given that the elderly were much more likely to die of the virus, regulators were likely to need less assurance about the safety of a vaccine before giving it to them. “ :shock:

It’s official then … we **old codgers/wrinklies, are expendable. :-({|= 8-[

It looks as if graduating from The Howard Hughes Academy of Hygiene with a First Class Honours Degree in Hand Washing and Homo sapiens phobia, will have all been in vain. :lol:

Today, in the Letters to the Editor page, a reader has written:

“ Sir. As an older person, I’m pleased that a use has been found for me. You report that less assurance about the safety of the Covid-19 vaccine will be required before giving it to older people. Nice to be of some use at this late stage of life but that is perhaps not the best choice of words. “

** Seventy, is now recognised as the start of old age. I'm 71 and my old codger/wrinkly toy boy, Richard, will be 71 next month.

I do hope that you are all still keeping well and managing to stay on the right side of sane. :)

Jill xx