Metatarsalgia (Foot pain)

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

MaxMacLaren1
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Metatarsalgia (Foot pain)

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Has anyone suffered from metatarsalgia (foot pain near the ball of your foot)? I'd welcome any thoughts on recovery and how to avoid it in future.

I woke up on Saturday with a sore foot and was hardly able to walk. It was very painful when pressure was applied next to the ball of my right foot. The physio on Monday thought it might be Morton's Neuroma (nerve issue) but a podiatrist has said it is metatarsalgia caused by my high foot arch. It has never happened before and I can't find anything online about rowing causing metatarsalgia. I have been told to... rest, keep the foot taped with a pad for 3 days, then roll the foot on a frozen bottle of water and to wear spongy trainers.

The problem is I can't row and and the Scottish Championships are in 11 weeks :(.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Re: Metatarsalgia (Foot pain)

Post by Claudius »

And a fatigue fracture ? Difficult to make a diagnosis without examination...but looks like a acute process with sudden beginn- i would also advice to rice schema: rest , ice, compression (diclo-bandage) and elevation maybe a xray to rule out a fatigue fracture, maybe vary the footstrap- is the pain exactly under the footstrap? And in addition to the frozen bottle training- try also propriozeption training when things works better, with a waggleboard...more to stabilize the ankle...
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
MaxMacLaren1

Re: Metatarsalgia (Foot pain)

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Thanks Claudius. Yes, the pain is under the foot strap (on the bottom of my foot) so I will play around with the height. The physio and podiatrist did not think it was a stress fracture becasuse there was no swelling or redness. A couple of years ago I had orthotic insoles made for a knee problem and the podiatrist suggested wearing these when I row. Balance board ordered and a few trips to the physio will hopefully fix things. Toes crossed :fssmile:.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm