Final Push for Dog Days of Summer

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Final Push for Dog Days of Summer

Post by JonT »

60 brave Free Spirits have made it through the first three weeks of the Dog Days challenge. 14 dropped out in week 3. Some will breeze through it without blinking, but for many this is obviously the toughest week. Good luck all.

Given my travel plans this week I know I am going to have to grab every opportunity to get across the line. #-o

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Re: Final Push for Dog Days of Summer

Post by duffyoz »

I'm with you on this one Jon. Travel early next week and stuff booked for the weekend, it will be tight to get the 40k required.

Lesley
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

I have no excuses except weakness and unfitness 😂. This will be more miles than I’ve ever rowed in a week. If you don’t hear from me again, I expired!
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Due to travelling I missed the first week, otherwise I certainly would have made it :( .
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Threw in my second HM on my Saturday rest day, leaving me only approximately 1500m left to cover over the next available 2 days to meet the final weeks mileage. And the HM was 5 min faster than last time :D

Why do we still refer to things as mileage when we measure in kilometres, should it be kilometreage??
JonT

Post by JonT »

duffyoz wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:53 am Threw in my second HM on my Saturday rest day, leaving me only approximately 1500m left to cover over the next available 2 days to meet the final weeks mileage. And the HM was 5 min faster than last time :D
That's the way to do it! :fsgrin: =D>
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Jill

Post by Jill »

JonT wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:03 pmGood luck all.
Thank you Jon for wishing us all well.
JonT wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:03 pm Given my travel plans this week I know I am going to have to grab every opportunity to get across the line.
I see that you are flying the Jolly Roger, so with 14,931 metres to go and ( including today ) four days left, we shall expect some swashbuckling action from you … Even if it means arising from your bed in the middle of the night and rowing in your jim-jams. :fsgrin: :fswink:
Shmoo wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:43 am I have no excuses except weakness and unfitness . This will be more miles than I’ve ever rowed in a week. If you don’t hear from me again, I expired!
Shmoo, if you are still hanging on in there, then you will have earned yourself some special motivational and fitness Brownie Points. If you have expired … :shock: then I’m sure that Saint Roch will encourage you to try again next year. :fsbgrin: :fswink: 🐕
fkoene wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:26 pm Due to travelling I missed the first week, otherwise I certainly would have made it .
Fred, when your work + travel arrangements are situations that cannot be avoided, then you qualify for the title of Honorary Member of the Dancing Dog Club. :)
duffyoz wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:53 am Threw in my second HM on my Saturday rest day, leaving me only approximately 1500m left to cover over the next available 2 days to meet the final weeks mileage. And the HM was 5 min faster than last time

Why do we still refer to things as mileage when we measure in kilometres, should it be kilometreage??
Lesley, I like your style, especially as you completed the HM a whole 5 minutes faster than the one before. :) =D>

We still refer to the word mileage because my computer dislikes the word kilometreage. :fsbgrin: :fswink:

For me because of other commitments, I knew in advance which were the only rowing days available: Thursday, Saturday, today and tomorrow. After completing today’s row, I’m left with 6952 metres, which unless I am abducted by 👽 ( they’d soon want to give me back :lol: :wink: ) I should be able to complete the challenge tomorrow. :D

Very well done to all fellow competitors :D =D> and I hope that you will be able to keep on track. [-o< :) It’s a deceptive challenge and can catch out the nonchalant if they plan to leave things until the last minute … 😬 Let’s not end up with any Free Spirits consigning themselves to the ‘ doghouse ‘. [-o<

A Fitness of Free Spirits are still go🚀 :D
Last edited by Jill on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

DONE. Following the beginner pete plan at week 13 or somewhere there I knew only this week would be a problem. Dragged myself over the line and added another certificate to the computer file :D

I hope you made it Jon and you didnt get stuck in travel limbo somewhere :D

I shall have to think on that Jill - A Fitness of Free Spirits - hhmmm. I'll get back to you.
JonT

Post by JonT »

I love your updates Jill! How could I not finish after such a lengthy, encouraging response :fsgrin:

The UK public holiday helped me out today and I managed a lengthy warm up/down plus a 10k to complete the event. I have to confess I thought I was comfortably over the line, but ended up doing just 40,085 #-o :oops:

As an added bonus, and despite sticking with my low stroke rate regime, I managed a 10k SB for some (meta)Nonathlon points too. :D :D

Enough effort today and over the month to deserve an Aperol Spritz (or two) this evening I think. :tropical_drink:
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Ditto Jill! And with a very measured 5 lots of 8k (none of this HM nonsense 😂) I hauled myself over the line...
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Congratulations to all that managed to complete the challenge, which is for some of us the result of our regular erging but I still remember doing my first in 2016 and especially the 40k are tough when you have to do it at the gym, during a busy week or while on travel (fortunately the Concept2 erg can be found in many gyms and hotels).
So congrats to all!

Unfortunately the meterboard still gives the dog icon to all that managed the 10k in the first week, as the algorithm does not remove icons by itself. For that I need Thomas’s help to reset it, but I cannot reach him for the moment. Let’s hope he is fine and simply enjoying a great long vacation off the grid. I will try one thing tonight to see whether I can get it fixed, but please be patient.
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

congratulations to all participants !

3rd week was the toughest for me- vacation and no erging - so only 2 days left for the 30k- managed it with my longest row ever: 22230m - a bit more than a HM - did in my shift as a emergency physician - it´s nice to be paid for erging :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!:
Attachments
rw hir 22230 row.JPG
rw hir 22230 row.JPG (108.11 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Last edited by Claudius on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Tako wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:05 am fortunately the Concept2 erg can be found in many gyms and hotels).
unfortunately not in Germany/Austria...i had been disappointed so many times :roll:
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
JonT

Post by JonT »

45 Free Spirits completed the challenge. Some with remarkable distances (Dwayne - 827k) and some with remarkable precision (Sandy Roy - 100,001m).

Well done all. As others have remarked, a walk in the park for some, a real challenge towards the end for others.
Jill

Post by Jill »

Well deserved applause to all of you who were able to complete the challenge. ^O^ =D> 8)

Jon, what an heroic effort and I’m so relieved that I didn’t have to make you walk the plank. :lol: :wink:

Louise, it’s good to read that you are still alive and kicking and ready to row another day … or two … or three … or four. :fsbgrin: :fswink
duffyoz wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:52 pm I shall have to think on that Jill - A Fitness of Free Spirits - hhmmm. I'll get back to you.
Lesley, there are various levels of fitness. I am nowhere near as fit as many other Free Spirits but I know that I'm fitter than I was five years ago. :)

After a lengthy lay off from rowing, you have made some notable progress and must be a fair bit fitter than you were 6 months ago. :)