2019 Mud Season Madness - a review

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

2019 Mud Season Madness - a review

Post by Claudius »

Ok it is over, yesterday was the last day to enter some meters, i tried in the first half of the month to challenge the 10k, wasnt that difficult with my secret weapon - the bikeerg- but then had to pause for 4 days- but managed to ship the 5k home. And i couldnt resist to look for the winners - maybe its me - no it´s not - but Tako - won on the 28th March ! =D> Congrats !

How do you experienced this years challenge ?
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Grobi

Re: 2019 Mud Season Madness - a review

Post by Grobi »

At the beginning of the challenge I couldn't imagine to make either the 5k or the 10k challenge. Therefore one day I rowed only 8.5k ("doesn't matter anyway"). Later in the month it turned out I would be able to complete 25 days of rowing so this one day <10k cost me the 10k challenge. But nevermind, it was tough nevertheless with 339k rowed. As a side effect a good portion of these meters is counting towards the world erg challenge.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Since starting on the Rowing Erg in Summer 2016, this was my third Mud Challenge.
Like the previous two years, I also managed the 10k challenge, mainly motivated by my goal to get all the challenges this season, hence, all the icons on the meterboard, get my daily average above the one from last season, meters for the WEC...
This year was definitely the toughest, although last year I was struggling with travel and had to erg add different gyms. This year I was hit by a cold that caused me to paddle the last 8 10k's slowly.
Fortunately I had put a good 10k for the IRL early in the month, and my C2CTC time turned out to be good enough for Boat 1 :D
Having a cold was really tough; hence, the suprise on Friday of getting an email from C2 about being one of the lucky winners felt extra good, as the 10k of that day were extra brutal.
Like Claudius I had checked the winners list a couple of times and wondered whether I would ever be that lucky, now I can look forward to receive another C2 T-Shirt :fssmile:
Now I am happy of having all icons (have to admit that with Thomas' help I made sure they all show on the meterboard :fsgrin: ) and ready for the next month.
I still have a lot of work to do to get my Meta-Nonathlon all green, but I am afraid that that season goal won't be fulfilled.
Anyway already a great season :-)
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Sandbaggerone
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Sandbaggerone »

I had a good month. I completed 28 days of 10k plus, and topped 800,000 meters for the month. I'm about to have a lot less free time so need to find a way to maintain fitness with fewer meters.

Cheers,
Colin
Tempus rerum imperator.
Male, 37, 5'10.5", 160lbs.
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

As usually I made it but 'only' the 5K challenge. February had been a bit of an off-month, so I used the 5K's to get back in shape. Which I think paid off ok with a 10K PB and a Boat2 CTC result ((a bit off topic, but well...) only because Morten presumably is a bit out of practice, still happy I went for it on saturday, otherwise he would have beaten me by two seconds) in the last week.
I was also happy our rowing boat wasn't in the water for most of the month, since last week we're rowing twice a week on the Rotte again, also doing the Mud season Madness would have been a bit too much, since on-water meters don't count.
I don't make as many meters as some of you by a long shot, but I think I'm in pretty good shape, so I'm satisfied with the 5K certificate.
Tako

Post by Tako »

Sandbaggerone wrote:I had a good month. I completed 28 days of 10k plus, and topped 800,000 meters for the month. I'm about to have a lot less free time so need to find a way to maintain fitness with fewer meters.

Cheers,
Colin
800k in 1 month!!!
There are many words that come into my mind regarding that, but I choose to say here: Impressive & crazyImage Image
Hopefully without any injuries Image

Does that mean that I might dream of getting my 13th spot on the Meterboard back? Maybe you are superstitious and don’t want to finish on it??

Thanks for the valuable meters for the World Erg Challenge! Unfortunately not all FS have registered, but looks like we might finish in the top anyway.
commodoreann
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by commodoreann »

After counting the icons on the meterboard, a total of 19 Free Spirits met the Mud Season Madness goals.
This challenge gave me enough incentive to get back on my rower after a long period of time off. I set realistic goals
and I achieved them. :) Congratulations to all who took part of this challenge. =D>

Ann :fsbgrin:
I am not getting older, just better. (not bad for a 74 year young lady)
CRASH B silver medal 65-69 lwt 2016
33 million lifetime meters plus and counting......(05/12/20)
5 million season 4/07/11
actually 5.301,526 4/30/11
#44 on the C2 board
Tako

Post by Tako »

Congratulations Ann!! Good to see you back in action!

13 for the 10k: https://log.concept2.com/challenges/mud ... &sort=days

27 for the 5k: https://log.concept2.com/challenges/mud ... &sort=name

The meterboard only shows rowing erg meters, so there might be someFree Spirits doing BikeErg and SkiErg only.
Sandbaggerone

Post by Sandbaggerone »

Thanks Tako. I don't mind #13 so much so we might have to keep fighting over it :-)

Cheers
Colin
Tempus rerum imperator.
Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Tako, thank you for the links - it was plucky of you ( if perhaps not altogether wise :fsbgrin: :fswink: ) to tough out the last three 10,000k when you were not feeling 100%.

My compliments to all Free Spirits who were courageous enough to take on and complete either challenge. :D =D> ^O^ 8)
Tako wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:00 pm Congratulations Ann!! Good to see you back in action!
Well said Tako. :D =D>

Commiserations to those of you whose good intentions were sabotaged by unexpected distractions. :( You must have some brownie points though and there's always next year. :) 👍

For Colin … were the metres rowed … owed .. to Pasta Power? :fsbgrin: :fswink:

Dreadful pun alert. :roll: [-X

You obviously had your ‘ spaghetti vest on ‘. #-o #-o #-o :lol: :wink:

Okay, I’ll get my cardigan - I’ve run out of coats. :lol: :wink:

See you. :)
Sandbaggerone

Post by Sandbaggerone »

Jill wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:37 pm
For Colin … were the metres rowed … owed .. to Pasta Power? :fsbgrin: :fswink:
Jill, don't be fusilli, of course it was pasta power.

Cheers,
Colin
Tempus rerum imperator.
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

:lol:

Colin, I cannelloni apologise. :fsbgrin: :fswink: