The impact of Science and Technology

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

The impact of Science and Technology

Post by JonT »

As I was rowing the CTC 30 minutes today having:
  • listened to the dietitians and had slow carbs a few hours earlier and fast-release just as I starter the row
  • made sure I was hydrated to avoid too much blood thickening and increased heart rate
  • programmed in two virtual rowers in RowPro - one just ahead of my target pace and one to make sure I didn't drop too far off
  • paced myself with my heart monitor which was connected to my Garmin watch using Bluetooth and my PM5 through ANT+
  • listen to thumping music which has been shown to improve physical performance
  • EDIT - I forgot to mention the performance enhancing properties of Plummy's headbands! :D
I couldn't help but wonder what my performance would have been equipped with just a rower that showed metres covered, and a stopwatch.

I'm not a good rower, far from it, but I wonder how much worse I would be without all of this to support me.

Just sayin'

P.S. My behaviour with RowPro is hysterical. I genuinely put in a burst at around 20 minutes to 'psych out' my opponent pace boat! It's a programme for goodness sake! And then with 4 minutes to go I started to wonder what to do to increase the chances of making sure I didn't beat myself next time I row this event - should I put in a burst now, because I may forget I did that in a few weeks and get demoralised at this point. I need to get a grip! #-o :oops:
Last edited by JonT on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
MaxMacLaren1
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: The impact of Science and Technology

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

JonT wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:58 pm P.S. My behaviour with RowPro is hysterical. I genuinely put in a burst at around 20 minutes to 'psych out' my opponent pace boat!
Never used row pro but that still made me laugh! Whatever makes you row faster :fssmile:.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm