Christmas Present Ideas / Heart Rate Monitor

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

MaxMacLaren1
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Christmas Present Ideas / Heart Rate Monitor

Post by MaxMacLaren1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:30 pm

Christmas is coming and I'm hoping Santa is going to bring me a heart rate monitor. So I would welcome any thoughts you have on which one is best. Having searched online, Polar, Wahoo TICKR and Garmin get frequent mentions. But which works best and importantly which is the most comfortable? Also do you link with anything better than the PM and Ergdata. Many thanks and feel free to post your own Christmas wish list :fssmile:
Max

Male, 52yrs, 83kg, 181cm

Claudius
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Christmas Present Ideas / Heart Rate Monitor

Post by Claudius » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Hello Max,

I got the Tacx T1994 - it comes with Ant+ and Bluetooth, small piece, works fine for me in most cases

and i got the Polar H7 - as Polar and Garmin do not like each other it havent got Ant+ thats the bad news - but for someone who have got the old Polar adapter on the erg could use thisone as well (and BT with a watch/phone) - it have the advantage (if you have the dongle)that it neednt to be connected before every row.

wishes ? -maybe the bike erg :mrgreen: , but already got the tacx neo smart - but hey what...i recently tested the bike erg...and it is much better in my opinion than a smart trainer...the tacx neo is great- if you road over that hammock bridge in zift watopia...great...but c2 bike erg is just better

lcantey
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by lcantey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Hello Max,

I'll just confirm that the Wahoo TICKR works well with PM5 and phone. Comfort is what I would expect with a soft strap (good). I do like the dual ANT/BT flexibility.

JonT
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by JonT » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 pm

I spent a long time looking into this when my Polar monitor stopped working. I use the TICKR and connect it to my phone, erg and Garmin watch with no issues at all. Having ANT+ and Bluetooth is a must nowadays. It is also easy to adjust and very comfortable. The running app with the TICKR also provides very detailed analysis if that is what anyone is into.

Jon
52 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent

MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks all. Looks like the Wahoo TICKR is the winner. And Claudius you get some great presents!
Max

Male, 52yrs, 83kg, 181cm