Scottish Indoor Rowing Championships 2018

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Caratacus
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Caratacus »

I have taken the plunge and entered the SIRC for the 40-49 Hwt 2k which will be my first ever event. Having done that realised that I hadn't done a real 2k for a while so thought I'd better get one under my belt as a target. Plan was for 1:41, 1:43, 1:43 and then see what I had left so went ok, hopefully can get closer to 6:45 on the day Image Any advice from team veterans more than welcome
Felton H
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Scottish Indoor Rowing Championships 2018

Post by Wolfmiester »

hi Felton, well done for entering, you won't regret it!
Nice 2k base to work from as well.
When is the comp?
Pete Plan intervals would be my suggestion for training, depending on how long you have to go.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

The comp is a week on Saturday so basically just winging it til then. Did the 2k so I knew the worst I could do on the day
Felton H
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Felton, Whilst I would not claim to be experienced here are a few ideas based on entering BRIC for the last two years....

Arrive in plenty of time so you are not rushing and can familiarise yourself with the venue.
Look up online what the monitor race setting looks like and the start procedure is.
Have a plan, row your own race at a pace you can and beware of fly and die.
Online there is a lot that says the fast start important for OTW does not apply to the Erg. It is physically more efficient to hold an even pace. BUT that doesn't account for the mental side. Your adrenaline will be pumping so most people suggest you use it for a quick start (rather than a very fast so you don't knacker yourself). Then empty the tanks at the end with a sprint finish.
Looking up World and BRIC previous results will show you splits so you can look at different approaches people take with times similar to yours.
It always depends who turns up on the day but I suspect you have a good chance of a medal.
And don't forget to breath!

Hopefully I'll see you there as I have entered in the 50-59 category and good luck!
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

MaxMacLaren1 wrote:Hopefully I'll see you there as I have entered in the 50-59 category and good luck!
Great! Good luck to you too Image

I am definitely wary of going off too fast and having to crawl home - I would really hate that Image
I would be happy with any time better than the 6:49 I did the other day but really I'm targeting 6:45, would be really thrilled with that Image

What time are you going for?
Felton H
GuidonTheBee
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by GuidonTheBee »

I'll be there too - 40-49 lwt 1k & 500m for me so just waiting for entrants/timings to be published. I think Max has mentioned most of the key points to remember. Definitely arrive in plenty of time, try & watch a few races before you begin your prep routine to try & avoid a sensory overload panic when you race.

I did the SIRC at the same venue last year and we were facing the spectators who were much closer than e.g. the BRIC which made for some quite intense races. Stick to your race plan & use the energy from the crowd but don't get carried away by it - a 2k isn't won in the first 1500m but can definitely be lost there !

Last year there were plenty of warmup machines in the same hall but separated by a curtain so you had to keep half an eye on time or try & listen out for races starting/finishing. I don't recall being marshalled quite as strictly as at the BRIC.

Sometimes there may not be loads of time between being allowed on the race machines & starting so it's a good idea to have a mental checklist: feet/straps/drag/etc to make sure you don't forget anything.

Any ideas how we can spot each other in the crowd ?
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

GuidonTheBee wrote:Any ideas how we can spot each other in the crowd ?
Red carnation? Image

I'll be wearing some kind of random faded black T-shirt and have a beard and glasses

This is me Image

Felton H
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

GuidonTheBee wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:32 pm Any ideas how we can spot each other in the crowd ?
I reckon any one of the 3 of you could borrow my FS All In One :lol:

It's great that the 3 of you are there, and good advise spread wisely.
Have a super day guys, and don't forget to post reports
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
GuidonTheBee
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by GuidonTheBee »

I'll mostly be looking like this, probably in a black hoodie & black tracksters. Possibly a bit less smiley & a tad more nervous ... ;)
Guy.jpg
Guy.jpg (9.64 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Can't believe how popular the 50+ category is!!! This was taken after a long hike so hopefully I won't look quite so knackered (at least before the race) and I'll have glasses on. Silver Nike top and black fleece.
IMG_20181110_122554.jpg
IMG_20181110_122554.jpg (17.71 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Looking forward to meeting you both Image
Decided to do decreasing sets of 500's in the run up to the comp, mostly at race pace. Quite happy with the numbers at the moment but not really feeling that fit for some reason, probably just a bit fatter than normal Image

Felton H
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

One point not mentioned is the effect of the race start. Not raced for ages, so the monitors may have changed, but it was always the case that there was a delay before the first stroke taht doesn't happen on a standalone machine. As a result, if you have th emonitor set up to show average pace, there is a tendancy to stay at faster than race pace for too long to get the average down to target. this will cost you in the 3rd 500. not certain of the monitor options on a PM5, but with the info on the race positions, you will have less stats to monitor. If what you follow isn't on the screen it can be very disconcerting. Finally, I am always amazed how long I can keep a sprint of sorts going at the end. Ideally your best sprint will be if the pace drops to the pace before your sprint as you cross the line despite throwing everything at it. As a result you should start sprinting way earlier than you would normally do and remember that you should cut the slide if you lose the ability to use your legs as it is [possible to maintain high pace with arms back and rating only.

Good luck all.

Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Thanks for your words of wisdom Iain
I am not a proponent of the 'race start' and plan to just get in my groove as soon as possible and hold on. Also terrible at sprint finishes. I hope the occasion helps me in this regard - probably easier to do a sprint finish with other competitors and people looking on rather than by yourself in the gym with some guy reading the newspaper on the bike next to you
Felton H
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Good luck guys. I'm half tempted to rock up and throw some verbal and moral support your way!!

Is it at Ravenscraig Sports Facility/Motherwell this coming Saturday?
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Yes it is!
Felton H
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

The countdown continues

Felton H
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Nice rowing Felton. Yesterday was my last 2k TT, race start and pace but without a fast finish. It was tough but I hope with rested legs there will be something left in the tank for that final sprint. Today is tapering, 4x500 with plenty rest to practise starts.

P.S. Given your great form, once you finish you'll have plenty of time to catch your breath, stretch and then stroll across to cheer me over the line!
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Good luck, guys. Looking forward to the stories about how it felt. And the results of course.
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Thanks Fred, I will definitely post a report here once I've recovered sufficiently Image

Final warmup today, a mile at race pace(ish), so basically the 2k without the sprint for glory/pace held through gritted teeth/desperate slow fade *

* delete as appropriate

This actually felt pretty comfortable up to about 1k, the last 400 of the 2k would have hurt at this pace but I think on the day I could at least more or less hold the pace and may even manage a small sprint

Felton H
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Courageous Felton, Courageous Guy and Courageous Max, good luck and best wishes for tomorrow and I hope that your race strategies will all go to plan. :)
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Thanks Jill, your kind words will surely spur us on to success Hopefully there will be reports of seasons and personal bests to come!
Felton H
Jill

Post by Jill »

Caratacus wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:54 pm Thanks Jill, your kind words will surely spur us on to success Image Hopefully there will be reports of seasons and personal bests to come!
That’s the Free Spirit, Felton.👍👍👍
Caratacus wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:00 pm I'll be wearing some kind of random faded black T-shirt and have a beard and glasses
MaxMacLaren1 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:28 pm and I'll have glasses on. Silver Nike top and black fleece.
I assume that you and Max will be wearing trousers … or are you both planning to make ‘ A Grand Entrance ‘ ? :fsbgrin: :fswink:
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Jill wrote:I assume that you and Max will be wearing trousers … or are you both planning to make ‘ A Grand Entrance ‘ ? :fsbgrin: :fswink:
Being Scottish we will only be wearing kilts, obviously Image
Felton H
Jill

Post by Jill »

Caratacus wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:01 pm Being Scottish we will only be wearing kilts, obviously Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And most obviously ... a sense of decency and modesty on my part, :^o prevents me from asking the most obvious question. :fsbgrin: :fswink:
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Good to see Free Spirits racing again! Best of luck guys, have a great day out, looking forward to your race reports!
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg