PM5 upgrade, is it worth it?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

PM5 upgrade, is it worth it?

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hi All,
I'm considering buying a PM5 to replace my PM3.
The PM3 still functions perfectly normally, as does my original Polar HR strap.
So, the cost is approx £200, and I don't really need to do it.

Question is, what 'extra' would I get for my £200 (the £200 includes a new Bluetooth HR strap), and is it worth it?
(an extra consideration is that I'm now a member of a rowing club, and they have some model Ds with PM5. So possible use of the HR monitors there...)

thanks in anticipation of any replies.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: PM5 upgrade, is it worth it?

Post by plummy »

I'm a bit like you in that I have a perfectly functioning PM4 so although thinking it would be "nice" to get PM5 I'd rather keep the cash in my pocket until mine dies.

The only feature I liked was the fact that it has a backlight but the issues with battery charge vs firmware updates vs losing rows from the log on USB sticks put me off
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:18 am The only feature I liked was the fact that it has a backlight but the issues with battery charge vs firmware updates vs losing rows from the log on USB sticks put me off
As some of you will know, I've had no end of issues with the PM5 since I bought my erg, but I wouldn't let that put you off. Things seem to have been ironed out over the last 12 months. No issues with firmware for ages. I no longer use the USB - use ergdata instead which is miles better anyway (richer data and no messing about with USB sticks), and the battery life seems to have massively improved. I have never lost any data.

The only real benefit I can see is the ability to connect wireless and Bluetooth. That means I can use ergdata and a HR monitor at the same time. I think the PM5 is the only one to do that.

To be honest though, I don't see the point of splashing £200 if you are happy with what you have and it is working fine.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Hi Steve,

I changed from a PM4 to a PM5 the expensive way (selling my old Model D and getting a new one when they were only available with a PM5).

What I like about the PM5 is that you can connect it to your smartphone via Bluetooth and have Ergdata running on it. Like Jon mentioned, Ergdata gives you a lot of data and it's safer in terms of losing data. I never used the USB stick as I had been warned reading several complaints on the US forum. Another advantage of Ergdata is that the screen of the PM won't go dark after longer inactivity. So if you get the PM5 use Ergdata.

What I also like about the PM5 is the backlight. This might be a matter of taste but once you have started a let's say HM and end up not being able to read the PM any more with 2k to go because it's getting dark (don't ask me how I know that...) you will like the backlight of a PM5.

What I don't like is the battery management. The PM4 charges the battery, the PM5 doesn't. Add to that the power consuming backlight and you end up with a battery change once a year (in my case with approx. 1MM per season).
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

thanks guys.
Don't think I'm convinced yet...
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
JonT

Post by JonT »

Grobi wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:28 am What I also like about the PM5 is the backlight. This might be a matter of taste but once you have started a let's say HM and end up not being able to read the PM any more with 2k to go because it's getting dark (don't ask me how I know that...) you will like the backlight of a PM5.
:lol:
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Juergie
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Juergie »

Grobi wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:28 am What I don't like is the battery management. The PM4 charges the battery, the PM5 doesn't. Add to that the power consuming backlight and you end up with a battery change once a year (in my case with approx. 1MM per season).
I connect my PM5 to a wall outlet via usb before I start rowing. It seems to me that using this method the PM5 gets all the needed power from the outlet during the workout and is not drawing energy from the battery.