Mud Season Madness 2018

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Mud Season Madness 2018

Post by Ian Bee »

jhaveman wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:49 pm Here's a link that we find useful to track the progress of Free Spirits in the 10k challenge:
https://log.concept2.com/challenges/mud ... &sort=days

Thanks very much :fsbgrin: , and well done everyone else.

Practicalities might mean I limp to 20x 10km, but hope to hit the mark for 5km.
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

I've done 10k+ for the last 8 days in a row and 10 days out of 11 so far this month. My back is holding up well, but I've decided to be sensible and take today off. It's the first time in a long time that I've had to FORCE myself to take the day off - over the past year or so, it's been more the opposite.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Massi
Warming up

Post by Massi »

Today was tough for me too: I felt like I was pulling with my arms rather than pushing with legs. Also the back was not as stable and engaged as it is usually. Managed to complete 12km and it's now 13 out of 13. Problem is tomorrow I'm travelling, leaving home very early and coming back very late and I'm not sure I'll find the time to row :-(
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Massi wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 am Today was tough for me too: I felt like I was pulling with my arms rather than pushing with legs. Also the back was not as stable and engaged as it is usually. Managed to complete 12km and it's now 13 out of 13. Problem is tomorrow I'm travelling, leaving home very early and coming back very late and I'm not sure I'll find the time to row :-(
If you've done 13 out of 13, I think you can afford to take a day off!
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Almost halfway through the journey now ‘ me plucky young hearties ‘ - best virtual flotilla out there on the virtual open seas. :) =D>

A very extra special mention for Commodoreann Ann, who has come out of ‘ retirement ‘ :D and taken her rightful place at the helm of our flagship, the FSS Thirty Two Million Metres. 8) =D> x 32,000,000

An extra special mention for Captaen Victory who is steering a straight and steady course ( could that be because someone has marked the grog barrel? :lol: :wink: ) aboard the FSS Twenty Seven Million Metres. 8) =D> x 27,000,000

A special mention for our three new members, Massi, Sharky and Sally ( Sarah ) and no, they were not press-ganged, but joined of their own Free Spirits’ free will. :)

Sharky and Sally kept me company during the Holiday and January Challenges and I am so pleased to see that they are both taking part in this one. A little bit of Meterboard Motivation might be helping of course. :wink:
dykebert wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:52 pm Chiropractor appts are lined up, and working on getting massages scheduled!

I have the added motivation of weight loss challenge at work that ends on March 27, so 10K a day could be a total Win-Win!
Sharky, I hope that you will not be on the receiving end of too much pummelling and let’s see if you can better your previous 3rd place, in the work, weight loss challenge. :)
Sheena wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:34 pm Jan says to keep the energy levels up we need to eat more doughnuts and peanut butter
Jan and Sheena, can I assume that you are carrying a plentiful supply of citrus fruits? Otherwise … one word … Scurvy! :shock: :lol: :wink:

Make sure everyone ( and that includes Paul and Massi ) that you take sufficient rest days - we don’t want you falling overboard or toppling out of the crow’s nest, due to tiredness and strained muscles. 8-[ And … sharks are rather partial to sashimi. =P~ :lol: :wink:

11th day completed for me today - still managing to keep things at a steady 62/63 minutes. I’ll row tomorrow and then my next scheduled rest day will be Thursday.

We all have various demands on our time and there will be occasions when other activities must take priority over the erg. With that in mind, a well deserved, “ Tremendous efforts everyone. “ :D =D> =D> =D>
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Thank you very much for your great post Jill!

Yes, a great applause to all fellow free spirits for hanging in there!

Yesterday my body demanded my first rest day after 12x10k, unfortunately that will probably mean that I will end up at least one day short at the end of the month due to travel and vacation, but you never know where one can find a C2 Erg, so I won’t give up before April1st.

Good luck to all and as Jill wrote: “Take care and do not overdo it as we have other challenges ahead!” Starting tomorrow 🤪
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
dykebert
Warming up
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by dykebert »

Hey Jill,
Great post and thanks for the shout-out.

12 days for me so far. Today is a rest day and Pi day (3/14) which may be a dangerous combination as far as my weight loss challenge goes. :lol:
Tomorrow is also a rest day. I'm hoping for some good recovery before going back at it again.

So here's my question to the group: What's your motivation for taking on this challenge?

My motivating factors are: (in no particular order)
  • Weight Loss challenge at work.
  • Puts me within striking distance of 1 million meters for the season.
  • It is a true challenge for me.
  • Friends know I'm attempting it and I don't want to admit defeat! :P
Sharky
keep on rowing, just keep rowing
commodoreann
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by commodoreann »

Thanks Jill,

This was day 14 of the 15 so far. I am pretty sure I will complete the challenge. I haven's done this for years. :shock:
Our daughter is flying in from Los Angles tonight to help celebrate Peter's birthday, which is Monday, so I know I will lose a day Sunday for the party. :lol:

Well," Here's mud in your eye".

Ann :fsbgrin:
I am not getting older, just better. (not bad for a 74 year young lady)
CRASH B silver medal 65-69 lwt 2016
33 million lifetime meters plus and counting......(05/12/20)
5 million season 4/07/11
actually 5.301,526 4/30/11
#44 on the C2 board
Jill

Post by Jill »

Thank you Tako.

It was sensible of you to take a much needed rest day.
dykebert wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:28 pm 12 days for me so far. Today is a rest day and Pi day (3/14) which may be a dangerous combination as far as my weight loss challenge goes.
Tomorrow is also a rest day. I'm hoping for some good recovery before going back at it again.
Sharky, I have the perfect remedy to counteract the temptations of Pi/Pie Day. Tomorrow, you will be able to row 2 x 3.14 miles or the equivalent 2 x 5.05km. :fsbgrin: :fswink:

Four good reasons though to keep you positive and on track.

To begin with, I had decided not to take part in the challenge - March was going to be a busy month and I didn’t know if I would have enough time or incentive to commit to 25 days.

The two motivating factors that changed my mind:

1 - Jan and Sheena - when they told me of their plans, I found their enthusiasm very infectious. :)

2 - Reaching 2 million metres for the season - 250,000 challenge metres would be a good start. :D

I usually row sometime during the morning but at the moment, for practical reasons, it has been necessary to do so much earlier. The ‘ boss ‘ has had to get up and make his own cup of tea. :fsbgrin:

The erg is in the garage, normally not a problem, as it’s out the back door, three steps to the right and in through the side door. One morning, ( around 6am ) during the week when we had the snow, I thought I was well wrapped up against the ‘ Beast From The East ‘ : my hat with the earflaps, which I had bought in Alaska, a thick fleece and thermal gloves. Wrong! :shock: When I opened the back door, I was hit by such an icy blast, that me and my motivation, very nearly turned around and went back to bed. :fsbgrin: :fswink:

I hope that you all still have plenty of wind in your sails. :)
Massi
Warming up

Post by Massi »

15 out 15, feeling good. The only problem is I had to switch to evening training because of the traveling. I definitely prefer training early thing in the morning, but I will be back on track on Saturday. As for the motivation, unfortunately I'm competitive in about everything i do, and I want to improve in rowing.
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

12 out of 16 as of this morning, and settled into a happy 42 minute session in the morning so I'm going to pick my rest days going forward with extreme care :)

Motivation lies in giving some variation to the Pete Plan I'd been slogging with for the last 6 months and also pushing towards 3 million metres for the season.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I'm starting to struggle a bit. I don't really feel up to doing tough sessions, so I have been setting the PM4 to 'Just Row' and just plodding away until I've completed 10k or slightly more. I've done 14 out of 16 as of this morning.

I'm going to Portugal on Monday and will be there for 8 days. I'm hoping to keep going while I'm over there, but the day I'm travelling over and the day I'm coming back are likely to be problematic, so I don't have too many days to play around with if I want to complete the challenge.

Paul V
Tako

Post by Tako »

Great to see so many active in the Mud challenge! Good luck to all and I hope you can all make it! If not 25 days then try as many as you can because all meters count from now on also for the World Erg Challenge! Remember to sign up!! Our team there is needing every meter and contributor it can get!

My first rest day this week felt like handling down, as I realised that planned travel and job will make it close to impossible to reach the 25 days, so I struggled to get started again. I tried to find different ways to motivate me for the 10k each day.
Yesterday I made it sprint day by having several sprint intervals, which funny enough resulted in 4 new PBS for the 1min, 4min, 100m and 500m. The 1:30.7 for the 500m also resulted in some Nonathlon points ;-)
Today’s goal is the 4MM mark :-) Hope Dave has an orange star for that one.

Have fun and stay injury free!

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Well done Tako. 4 new PBs! :shock: That's just astounding. =D> =D> =D> =D> ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

Paul V
Sheena
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Sheena »

Well done to everyone still on for the 10K or 5K challenge this month =D> =D>

Myself and Jan are now on 14 days for the 10K challenge and today seemed particularly unpleasant as we'd been out in the morning planting trees in the cold, with the occasional snow flurry or blizzard depending on which part of the country you're from :lol: By the time we got home our hands and feet were dropping off :shock:
dykebert wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:28 pm So here's my question to the group: What's your motivation for taking on this challenge?
I don't think we can remember what this was #-o, Jan says it was so we could eat more [-X I think the main motivation was to get to our highest ever monthly total and we've twice done the 5K and wanted to try for the 10K.
Jill wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:41 pm The two motivating factors that changed my mind:

1 - Jan and Sheena - when they told me of their plans, I found their enthusiasm very infectious. :)

2 - Reaching 2 million metres for the season - 250,000 challenge metres would be a good start. :D
Glad to have been of service here Jill, you're doing great, hope the garage isn't too cold early in the morning especially with the weather we're having at the moment.

I've been struggling a bit this last week with a pain in my bum :shock: In particular in my left sit bone area, after about 2.5K it gets a bit sore so I tend to have to break up the 10K row at least once to walk around a bit :( I may try adding some extra padding on top of the Concept 2 seat pad but I don't want to aggravate something else.

Well done on the PBs Tako, looks like you're on a roll ^O^

Our next scheduled rest day is in two days :fsbgrin:

An extra special well done =D> to anyone combining this challenge with work or other commitments ^O^ ^O^

Sheena and Jan
Tako

Mud Season Madness 2018

Post by Tako »

Yes, thanks; really on a role as it seems :fswink:

First noticed it this morning but the board is clipping off constantly those that cannot reach the 25 days anymore.
Feels like being chased :shock:

Hope to be on it by the end of the month together with as many FreeSpirits as possible! The Easter foods will taste much better then :fssmile:

https://log.concept2.com/challenges/mud ... &sort=days
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Did an extremely slow 10k+ today. Not feeling great after overindulging yesterday (it's kind of obligatory on St Patrick's Day if you're Irish :roll: #-o :mrgreen: ) and having done 10+ plus on 13 out of the last 14 days. So I plodded along at about 2:13 pace for 45 minutes or so. Strange thing was that my HR never got above 65! :shock: Not sure if this was a glitch with the PM4.

Anyway, I'm hoping the snow will clear enough to allow me to travel to Alvor tomorrow and I'm planning to take the day off, one way or the other.

Paul V
dykebert
Warming up

Post by dykebert »

Had an unplanned rest day on Sat due to travel, but got back in time on Sunday to get my 10K

16 days down, which leaves me with 9 to do and 11 days left in the month!

Starting to look forward to finishing this! And not just because I promised myself pizza. :lol:

Sharky
Massi
Warming up

Post by Massi »

21/21 done, feeling great, I might row 30 minutes more tonight. I did an hour strapless which always help me to keep good form and cadence, really enjoyed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Well done Sharky and Masso=D> =D>
Day 21 for me too - had a good strength workout this morning - it was nice and fresh and I managed to get the highest DF that I have seen on my erg - DF390.
Did 12k@2:06.9 strapless(I do all my rowing except for TT's strapless)

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Tako

Post by Tako »

Thumbs up for all still in the race!!

Thanks to a small gym that had an old Model D with a very old PM3 Firmware (couldn’t get a verification code out of it) I managed to row last three days anyway.
So should be able to finish by Wednesday next week :-)
Massi
Warming up

Post by Massi »

paulgould wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:51 am Well done Sharky and Masso=D> =D>
Day 21 for me too - had a good strength workout this morning - it was nice and fresh and I managed to get the highest DF that I have seen on my erg - DF390.
Did 12k@2:06.9 strapless(I do all my rowing except for TT's strapless)

Paul G
Thanks Paul! Interesting that you're always rowing strapless, definitely something to discuss in a different thread. I can say it definitely helps to focus on form. Your PBs are impressive so it definitely works for you! :-)
dykebert
Warming up

Post by dykebert »

Getting close to the finish line!

I've passed 20 days and and I'm hoping that pure stubbornness will see me through the end.

I woke up Saturday morning and just about called it quits on the challenge. It took a while to convince myself to get on the erg. I did, but it was a definite struggle.

Much respect to all those still in the mix and too all of those who even tried this challenge! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

Sharky
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

For everyone still in the hunt: [-o< [-o< [-o< ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ =D> =D> =D> =D>

This past Friday nearly saw the towel thrown in, but I'm hopefully to complete before the UK Bank Holiday (at which point I believe I've accumulated significant credit in the Easter Egg eating ledger).
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hang on in there ' me hearties ' - must go and have some supper and then I'll be back. :)