Thomas Fire 12/4/17

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Thomas Fire 12/4/17

Post by CamiCrew »

Hi FS -- Not 100% sure what to say, but here goes.

My home burned to the ground in the wildfires in Ventura, California this week. My 87-yo mum, husband, and myself got out safely, and that -- truly -- is all that matters.

The rest, erg included, is gone. Fate of the 1997 Hudson 2x I had recently bought from a friend is tbd at the mercy of the fire, still raging around the lake tonight.

Today after a difficult week, I managed to find an erg and log a warmup, 5k, and cooldown. I can tell you this... when you're happy to be alive, it's a fabulous thing to sit down and row.

Do me a favor. If anyone reading this has not refreshed your emergency plan lately, nor documented your belongings, or other misc aspects of insuring your life... please take a few steps on that this month.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Thomas Fire 12/4/17

Post by Rodger »

When I was watching the news about the sweeping fires in California earlier this week, I thought of you. So sorry to read this terrible news now. Glad you and your family made it out safely.
Don't know what else to say really.

I hope Zoot is okay.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Barbara,

that's terrible and good news! Terrible because you lost your home which is a nightmare besides losing a loved one. And that leads to the good part of the news, that you and your family arre still alive!

Lives can't be rebought or rebuilt, material things can (I do hope you are covered by insurance?)!

Thinking of you when I get on the erg tonight.
Rodger wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:43 am I hope Zoot is okay.
I was in contact whith zoot, he and his wife are safe. Not sure about the house though.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Pepe
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Pepe »

Barbara,

I’m so sorry to read your dreadful news. The great relief, though, is that you and yours have survived intact; that’s the most important thing. All we can do is wish you well and give you our encouragement. You have shown great spirit in getting back on an erg in spite of what you’ve been through: that’s what I call moral fibre. You have it in spades.

Philip
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Barbara,
I just cant imagine how you are feeling. Thank goodness your family are safe.
Can we, the FS team, donate to any emergency fund or anything to help with temporary accommodation or the like?
Please accept love and best wishes from the UK.
Wolfie
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
RdGkA

Post by RdGkA »

Sorry to hear Barbara, I can't even imagine loosing a house to the fire to be honest. In theory it is comprehensible but that's not the real thing.

All I can say is: That sucks big time, very sorry for you!

Best of Luck
Ralf
♂ - 1971 - 6"8" - 103kg

plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I know we've "spoken" on Facebook so I'll not re-iterate the conversations there other than to say it's inspiring to see you posting and erging!

As far as I'm concerned we are all collectively standing ready to do anything in our power to help you back on your feet and ultimately back into a home you can call your own.

I'm glad to hear that Zoot and his family are safe and well too. xx

Christine contacted me and said that fires near her in San Diego were only 20 miles away but with winds blowing at 50mph - that suddenly becomes very very close very quickly.

Dave
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 am I know we've "spoken" on Facebook so I'll not re-iterate the conversations there other than to say it's inspiring to see you posting and erging!

As far as I'm concerned we are all collectively standing ready to do anything in our power to help you back on your feet and ultimately back into a home you can call your own.

I'm glad to hear that Zoot and his family are safe and well too. xx

Christine contacted me and said that fires near her in San Diego were only 20 miles away but with winds blowing at 50mph - that suddenly becomes very very close very quickly.

Dave
Like plummy, I've been part of the exchange on FaceBook and I can only echo what he says. I know from reading the discussion on FaceBook that you have great friends who have been very supportive in this time of crisis, but please let us know if there is anything we as a group can do to help.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Very relieved to hear that you and Zoot are safe. Very best to you.
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

OMG, Barbara!! I'm so sorry to hear this news! Best of luck with the monumental task of piecing your life back together after this. :(
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by paulgould »

Devastated for you losing your home, but relieved to hear you all got out safely.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Barbara, as another who has exchanged Fbk and email messages with you I’ll not add any further comments about last week’s events.

I am glad though that you decided to post on the forum and so pleased that despite everything, you have sought out a little piece of normality in your life, an erg. Even better, that the experience made you feel better.

Good to hear that Zoot and his family are safe and trust that Christine will be also.

So much in our thoughts,

Jill and Richard xx
Sheena
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Sheena »

Barbara, dreadful news about your home.

Good to see you are all safe and that you've found an erg on the base.

We wish you all the best, and as per the other messages if there is anything we can do in support then do let us know.

Sheena and Jan
Tako

Post by Tako »

Having friends and former colleagues in California, I often worry when seeing the fires on the news.
Really sad to hear about your loss Barbara. Wishing you all the best for the coming weeks!
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

So brave of you to be already erging and posting again, Barbara :!: ^O^ Yes, it was really shocking news on Facebook. There were and are some short stories on the Danish news, it hits so much harder when it is about yourself or someone you know :!: I´m sure both you and Jack are extremely resourcefull people, but it is an immense task to cope with this devastating situation, though it is most probably a lot more taxing that I´m able to imagine. Good luck with the coming times :!: :!:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

All the best from me too, Barbara.
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Thank you all. I'm getting by on these messages for now. Suffice it to say, it's surreal and I can't describe well. Just dealing with my own thoughts is exhausting. I am, however, working hard to find the positives, and keep a sense of humor. I won't post the bad days or worst images on Facebook, because to be honest I don't ever want to see them again.

Upsides? People are overwhelmingly kind, from dear friends to total strangers. It's a profound lesson in what is essential.

Peter - yes, we're learning quickly what insurance covers and what it does not.

Ron - monumental is a good word.

Rodger - heard from Zoot. Still ok, but haven't been back yet to the house. And flare ups continue.

Wolfie - yes, since you asked. My brother put up a go fund me, much to my dismay. https://www.gofundme.com/hoytshoad

Jill, Erik, Peter, David & Paul - thanks for fb & email notes.

Fred, Tako, Sheena, Ralf, Paul G, Ian - thank you.

Pepe - moral fiber is good for the diet, I hope?
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Barbara I am so sorry to hear of your devastating news, my thoughts are with you and your family.
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Barbara, so relieved you and your loved ones are safe and i apologise for not seeing this earlier.
pb times
Dogma Dave
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Dogma Dave »

What desperately sad news, Barbara. My thoughts are with you and your family at what must be an extremely difficult time.

As you so rightly say, though, the main thing is that you, your husband and your mum got out unscathed. Everything else can be replaced, after all. You appear to be handling this amazingly pragmatically, and a lot better than most of us would (me especially), I am sure.

Best wishes from Yorkshire, England to you and yours.

Dave
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

thoughts are with Barbara, family and friends again this week.
I hope you've managed to avoid any further heartache with the mud slides.
Steve
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
JonT

Post by JonT »

It's been a while since we heard from Barbara, which is understandable. Is anyone in contact with her?
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi Jon and Steve.

I've only just checked out the forum, this thread and today's paper.

I decided not to send anymore emails to Barbara for a while, as I thought that she must have quite enough on her plate already without answering my messages. Her last Facebook update was over the Christmas period.

Anyway, I have now sent her an email and hopefully will receive a reply and will keep you posted.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Jill wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 pm Anyway, I have now sent her an email and hopefully will receive a reply and will keep you posted.
Thanks Jill
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Hi all. Nice to see your notes. The mudslide situation is up the road 40 miles. We were not directly impacted, based on our decision to move south not north. Definitely grim scenes still occurring, we know people who are doing search and rescue. I'm so sad to see that at least 17 people have not made it through.

Our former neighborhood was under evacuation (again) the night before that storm - and our hillsides held up. The rain was much needed, just not right after the hills were stripped of vegetation and the soil rendered dry and unstable :(

Meanwhile we are now in a rental that happened to be furnished. Long story so I'll not go into that here, but it was a blessing for us. Far less stress for my mum than if we'd had to figure out how to furnish an empty place overnight. We are back to our full time jobs, with the additional full time job of wrangling insurance, debris removal, architects, builders, a mountain of paperwork, etc. I will say it was our easiest move ever as everything we owned fit into my car and Jack's (new, replacement) pickup truck. I call it my alternate reality. Like I've stepped through a portal into someone else's life.

My rowing club here all pitched in and delivered me a replacement Model D. I've done several rows and for some reason, that's when all my buried emotions come out. UGH! But, it's also where I feel the strongest and most in control. Hopefully can return to fitness soon. The lake is full of contaminated debris from the storm, so 2 rows is all I've managed to get on the water.

Thank you for your concern and notes. Back soon with attempts at CTC, IRL etc. It'll feel good to do something that's only mildly challenging, instead of epically challenging. #-o :D :fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"