Tach cable error

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Tach cable error

Post by Ian Bee »

Hoping for some assistance/piece of mind....

Through necessity, my C2 needs to be broken down and popped in the corner of a room after each work out. As part of this, I tuck the monitor arm out of harms way. Over the last couple of days, the PM5 has presented me with an error suggesting that the tach wire is faulty.

I've unplugged/plugged in the jack, and can see no clear signs of the wire being damaged - though I can easily see how it could be given the route past the monitor arm hinge. I've contacted Concept 2 for assistance given the negligible age of the erg.

The error message can be cancelled off and I've recorded a couple of days worth of sessions without issue. In the interim from a response from Concept, has anyone got any words of wisdom about this particular fault - i.e. is there somewhere obvious I can look for wire damage?

Thanks in advance.
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Re: Tach cable error

Post by Grobi »

Hi Ian,

I'm afraid I can't help you from personal experience but a similar topic has been discussed on the US forum:

http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160305

Some people had this issue only with firmware version v24. Did you upgrade recently? Then you might try v25 and it should be gone.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I found a problem similar to that with a second hand machine I bought/sold on to a friend and it turned out to be degraded copper tracks on the PM3 circuit board (it was bought from a seaside location) so I put it down to age and salty air. I had to run bypass wires around the degraded copper tracks - but got it working.

The discussion thread suggested above seems to be more firmware related - where I run out of knowledge VERY quickly.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Thanks both - I'll read further.