C2 Summer Solstice challenge 2017

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

avail
Warming up

C2 Summer Solstice challenge 2017

Post by avail »

Congratulations to those folk that have already completed the 'bum-numbing' Summer Solstice Challenge so far. :fsbgrin: :D :fsbgrin:

I'm sure that more sunny-icons will pop up on the Meterboard throughout the day (hopefully myself included).

Think the first person to complete (correct me if i'm wrong) was Stephen C-P, surely there is some special merit for first to complete. Closely followed by Collette L-L (also an Aussie, who said being that side of the date line doesn't help?). Special mention of course should go to Richard Morrice, third to complete the challenge and yet only started rowing 11 days ago (with Gregor twisting his arm). He managed to complete the challenge with an awesome time for a first (or any) Half-marathon, although i'm sure his warm up consisting of coffee and ginger-nut biscuits must have helped! However the selfie he took after the event with the PM should never.... be published... ! :lol:

the gauntlet is thrown down Gregor... Richard is shaming us both!!! :shock:
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: C2 Summer Solstice challenge 2017

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Yes, congrats to the three who have completed this gruelling challenge so far.
I'm not sure if Stephen Craig-Pearson will appreciate being called an Aussie and though the NZL flag is very similar. :wink:

I am amazed Richard even attempted to do this distance given how long he's been rowing. He even had a morning ciggie with his coffee and biscuits before tackling the HM. :lol:
I don't think it has put him off rowing thankfully, I've even spotted him looking online to buy a cheap 2nd hand C2.

And yes, I'm planning to try the HM today. Probably the only one I'll attempt this season. Assuming I manage to finish, that is.

Good luck to everyone who is planning to do the 21k or HM today.
6'6" 1971
avail
Warming up

Post by avail »

Whoops.... Apologies to Stephen.... major faux pas... :oops:

Expecting big things from you Gregor... big wingspan calls for big strokes... i reckon 80 mins should suffice? :^o
avail
Warming up

Post by avail »

Richard van Hees and Peter Weiß are in on the action.... good work. :fsbgrin:
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

For those planning to do the HM today and like using RowPro, I have scheduled a HM at 18:00 GMT and saw one scheduled for 16:00 as well. So maybe I see you on the RowPro river later today.
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
avail
Warming up

Post by avail »

Tako wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:29 pm For those planning to do the HM today and like using RowPro, I have scheduled a HM at 18:00 GMT and saw one scheduled for 16:00 as well. So maybe I see you on the RowPro river later today.
Well Tako, if you need any more incentive I've just poked my head into the gym and Gregor is there, ploughing through his half marathon... Expect some more postings soon!
RdGkA

Post by RdGkA »

Good idea with RowPro, but I can't make it, because I have to give my weekly rowing course today.
I will try to puzzle the 21k together from smaller pieces, hitting the gym a bit early today. At least that's the plan.
♂ - 1971 - 6"8" - 103kg

Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

1hr 27m 55.3 seconds. Just managed to get to 2:05.0 splits after sitting at 2:05.3 for most of the row. I quite enjoyed that.

Over to you Tony...

:D
6'6" 1971
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

I was hoping to have a go at this today, but having done nomrowing for the past week and having a slight touch of food poisoning today, I'll probably give it a miss. Well done to everyone who has completed the challenge.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
avail
Warming up

Post by avail »

Gregor Andrews wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:48 pm 1hr 27m 55.3 seconds. Just managed to get to 2:05.0 splits after sitting at 2:05.3 for most of the row. I quite enjoyed that.

Over to you Tony...

:D
'you quite enjoyed [it]'... HA! :^o your face told a different tale....

1hr 27m 55.3 seconds ... think you might have it in the bag today.... :| Well done.

Just completed my effort.....ok.... how do i get a buttock-transplant... :lol: ?? Just completed it and seen that many others have also added their KM's to the Meterboard .. what a day! Managed to bag a few Nonathlon points as well.....Can't be bad!
RdGkA

Post by RdGkA »

I got lucky and could do it without break.
summer.jpg
summer.jpg (53.61 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Pace is a bit silly but I rowed a 10x 2:30' @SR30 interval in the last hour
♂ - 1971 - 6"8" - 103kg

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Did it - but it was horrible. Absolute utter sweatfest and had to stop multiple times to refill my glass of water and try and pour it in as fast as it was pouring out. 1:33:39.6 - one of my slowest ever (then again, the trips to re-fill my glass added a minute or two.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
avail
Warming up

Post by avail »

Well done Ralf, good to see you warmed up beforehand. Know how you feel Plummy, you still bagged a good time though!

A good show all round judging by the amount of sun icons that have burst onto the Meterboard.
Last edited by avail on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichK
Warming up
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by RichK »

Phew,
I managed to crack my first challenge!
did it in 10k, 5k, 2k and finally 4k finished at 22:11

Ill be taking a day off today.
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

Hello and congrats to all solstice participants. I did it also as a half marathon...my overall 2nd.
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

I got sunshine! On a cloudy day... !

Celebrating the fact that I remembered solstice challenge day at 8 pm and still managed to squeak in that little 2 hour endeavor. \:D/

Great job all. Time to tilt toward winter, over here. Cheers!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Peter_S
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by Peter_S »

Barbara, you are my girl, my girl, my girl !

I'm talking about my girl. :lol:
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

CamiCrew wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:25 am I got sunshine! On a cloudy day... !

Celebrating the fact that I remembered solstice challenge day at 8 pm and still managed to squeak in that little 2 hour endeavor.
Barbara, perhaps Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me would have been a more appropriate choice? :fsbgrin: :fswink:

Well done everyone; as his chariot carried him across the sky, Ra said that he welcomed and appreciated all your efforts. :D ^O^
Paul Victory wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:04 pm I was hoping to have a go at this today, but having done nomrowing for the past week and having a slight touch of food poisoning today, I'll probably give it a miss. Well done to everyone who has completed the challenge.
Ra said it was very wise of young Mr Paul not to row that sort of distance, and in that sort of heat, when suffering from an upset tum and a dodgy back. :)
plummy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:51 pm Did it - but it was horrible. Absolute utter sweatfest and had to stop multiple times to refill my glass of water and try and pour it in as fast as it was pouring out. 1:33:39.6 - one of my slowest ever (then again, the trips to re-fill my glass added a minute
Ra also hopes that young Mr Plumb, also known as Sweaty Betty, hasn't exacerbated the pain in his shoulder. [-X :fsbgrin: :fswink:

PS - I managed to finish in 2:5:3:8 - slow I know compared to everyone else, but then I'm a lot older than the rest of you. :lol: Technically speaking it's a PB as my last HM in 2015 was 2.20.19.8.
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

A PB is a wonderful thing, congrats Jill! =D>

And thanks Peter. Important to know who in life stands by your side, ready to burst into spontaneous song. :fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Sheena
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Sheena »

Congrats to everyone completing the challenge, and Jill that's a great improvement on your PB =D>

We got our erg out of storage this month but it was a bit too soon to attempt the challenge, 5K the other day was more than enough!