My upcoming charity 100k - eek !

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

GuidonTheBee
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM3

My upcoming charity 100k - eek !

Post by GuidonTheBee »

In what seemed like a good idea at the time, I have entered the Row For It 100Km erg in Solihull in 2 weeks time. Training has been slightly patchy due to a series of colds since March but I'm philosophical about over 7 hours on our beloved machine of doom & we'll see what happens. I even collared our own ultra distance expert Dave Plumb for some advice at the EIRC, although that may have just made me realise how far away from his superhuman achievements I am !! Ah well ! If anyone has any ultra distance tips, feel free to share !

Of course, there's a reason I'm putting myself through all the pain & Row For It is all about raising money for The Brain Tumour Charity. I know its a bit cheeky on my part seeing as how little I post on here (in my defence I have done a few CTC's recently ;) but I though it was worth posting my justgiving link on here in case anyone would like to donate.

Guys Row For It Justgiving Page

It's a worthy cause and raising what I can will hopefully keep me motivated in the darkest pit of the final hours. Any contributions would be most gratefully received. I'll try & man up & remember to post some updates here too !
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: My upcoming charity 100k - eek !

Post by CamiCrew »

Glad you are going for it!

Will be interesting to see updates, if they can be part of the plan. Dave does a great job on those too... being super human and all.

Best wishes!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
millie
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by millie »

Great stuff Guy,

100k is certainly a long way, sure you'll be up for the challenge though!
My brother in law had a brain tumour removed about 9 months ago and appears to be recovering well, very worthwhile cause.

Good luck with your training, I hope you have a good seat pad :lol:
*All PBs set on a Model D on slides
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Good luck Guy, I wish you all the best with your row :wink:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Guy, where/when is it?
I'm 10 minutes from Solihull, so if not golfing ( :oops: ) will pop in an cheer you along.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
GuidonTheBee
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by GuidonTheBee »

Thanks for all the support & sponsorship to date. It might sound cliched but knowing that we're raising money for such a good cause is really helping me find motivation to step up to the plate. Of course, at any given moment I have a fear that I may not make it, but I'm going to try to remember everyone's positivity in the deep pit of despair where I'm bound to find myself somewhere in the second half !

Wolfmiester: Its at the Touchwood Shopping Centre, Friday 19th - Sunday 21st May. I'm starting at 0900 on the Friday so hopefully finished by 1630ish (Though to be fair I have no benchmark for this so it could just as easily be much later !) I think its Marathons & half marathons on the Sat/Sun, I'm less sure about timings for those at the mo. Give me a shout if you do come down !

Not quite started tapering yet but being careful not to overdo it so this morning was a steady 90 minutes at 2:00 pace. Practising drinking while rowing one handed which seems mad given the length of the challenge but its fightening how quickly the split slips away isn't it ?!
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Best of luck with this Guy. I did my 26 hour WR tandem at this event last year and it was great to be doing it in the midst of a very busy shopping centre as the distraction of stuff going on around you and money going into buckets helps a great deal. I envy you "only" doing 7.5 hours as the last 9 hours of my 26 were all horrible having gone sleepless through the night.
I was offered the chance of doing a tandem 100k on the Friday but I just can't make it this year - (time, holiday allocation, fitness etc are all against me this year).
I'm sure you'll do great! :-) ^O^
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky