Post Marathon Advice

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

LilyG
Warming up

Post Marathon Advice

Post by LilyG »

Morning, First Degree Fitness rower in peace :D (also a long time lurker of this board!).

I started rowing last October and discovered that I much prefer the longer (10k+) distances. I did my first HM in December and have probably done five or six since then - not quite up to your Crazy Bear Challenge yet (you really must be crazy fit bears!) - but getting there slowly.

I am planning on having a go at a FM in a few weeks and have picked up some great advice from this board, but I need a bit more please. When and what did you do after your marathon? e.g. leave it for a few days and then a few gentle 5k rows or just treat it as a clothes rack for a bit?

I only have three aims:

1) finish it!
2) finish it in under 3:25 (I dont have height (5' 3") or weight (9st 6) on my side)
3) enjoy it!

Any advice would be gratefully accepted - thank you
F - 52, 5' 3", 9st 9lbs - good things come in small packages!
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Post Marathon Advice

Post by CamiCrew »

Hi Lily! I love, first of all, that you took the leap and posted. Welcome!

Second, that the question is one I hadn't thought much about... what to do after a marathon. It's great because you're thinking past the event, and therefore seem geared up and ready to rock! Very cool. =D>

After my first, I don't recall how long of a break i took. That one comprised crazy bear HMs 29+30, so I was only done with the long hours on the erg, not physically unable.

My 2nd FM, was only crazy bear HMs 6+7, so i had far less distance prep but it felt better and personally I wasn't concerned about time. Recovery was fine. I went on jury duty shortly thereafter (140 mile commute) so that impacted my rowing more than the marathon itself.

Advice? Take a break, sure, but guess what -- you're hooked :fsbgrin:

Concept2 mails out a pin for one marathon per year, if you request it. I know it sounds silly, but I totally enjoyed getting that little trinket in my mailbox.

It reminded me that I'd accomplished something unique and should keep on.

Do post more!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

Welcome Lily and good luck with the row :D

If you are doing the training required for a marathon, I don't think you will need a break after unless your body tells you, in which case take one :wink:

Please let us know how it goes 8)
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
LilyG
Warming up

Post by LilyG »

Thanks both.

I did 30k on Saturday, which was the longest distance I'd completed in one sitting (no pun intended!)....and it was all good, so am quietly confident :)

Certainly will be posting again too (hooked on this forum too)
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Hi Lily - welcome to the forum - as a bit of a longer distance guy I'm with you on the preference side.

I don't think there is any specific advice to be given for post marathon recovery other than do what feels right for you. You might feel a day or two off the erg is all that is required, not only for energy recovery but also for potential sore spots to recover. Alternatively. you might find that you are good to go the day after.
If you have done 30km with no issues I can't see any reason why adding another 12km should be a deal breaker - but stay ahead of the hydration curve (and energy if you feel you might need it). I've found that the last 10km is where the physical side can be difficult even if mentally you have it "in the bag". FMs can bite back in the very latter stages so you need to be prepared for that.

Where are you doing the FM - at home (do you have your own erg) or at a gym? If you have some support/distraction it can make a huge difference.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Caratacus
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Caratacus »

Hi Lily, welcome to Free Spirits . Not really an expert on really long distances but from my limited experience I would strongly echo Plummy's advice regarding the latter stages. I really suffered in the finish most likely through not being sufficiently hydrated. Keep plenty of water and energy sources close to hand and I'm sure you'll do fine and recover quickly. Please keep us updated on your effort
Felton H
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Hello there Lily and welcome to Free Spirits. :D

I’m not the right person to give you any rowing advice but, as you’re already finding out for yourself, we have many friendly and experienced members who are only too happy to pass their knowledge onto you.

Much admiration for completing at least 7 HMs since December - that’s impressive - which means that you need to hold onto your ambition to take part in the Crazy Bear Challenge one day …

With your first FM coming up soon, you sound focused and you’ve obviously carried out plenty of research in preparation for the attempt, so, when the time comes, good luck to you Lily.

With all the social media sites out there in virtual land, it’s a pleasure to know that you are a follower of the forum and I'm echoing Barbara's words when I say ... Please post more. :)
LilyG
Warming up

Post by LilyG »

Afternoon, this work malarky does get in the way of life and training!

Plummy - to answer your question, my erg is in the conservatory, so am hoping for a reasonably nice day to open the doors and windows. Over the winter, even with the heating off, i was steaming up the windows (god knows what the neighbours thought was going on every evening - me huffing and puffing, the windows steaminng up hahaha!)

Father Christmas got me an Amazon echo, so that's what will keep me entertained. I've got a play list written down already and will also be broadcasting to some of my friends (on facebook live) who want to have a laugh at me getting sweaty......
LilyG
Warming up

Post by LilyG »

Well, I completed the marathon this morning in 3:23:42 and am feeling rather pleased with myself!

Whoever posted the little tip about doing it in 7k chunks - that worked a treat (thanks v much). I took a ten second drink stop every 7k and only got a bit grumpy between 11k & 9k and between 6k & 4k to go.

My thighs were tired for about 15 minutes afterwards, but a sausage sarnie, cup of tea and a hot shower soon cured that!

Thanks for all the advice.......scarily, I'm looking forward to the next one :)
plummy

Post by plummy »

Well done Lily - that's a tremendous first FM time - congrats.

Looking at you time, it;s the 3rd best FM for your weight and age group on the UK this season - and probably very frustratingly, less than 3 minutes slower than the best ranked time this year - target for the next one?? :twisted:

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
LilyG
Warming up

Post by LilyG »

Wow! thanks for that, that's an incentive if ever I've needed one!

Give me a couple of months and i'll have a crack :)
plummy

Post by plummy »

LilyG wrote:Wow! thanks for that, that's an incentive if ever I've needed one!

Give me a couple of months and i'll have a crack :)
The season ends at the end of April - so maybe get an early lead for next season ? :D
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"