Mud Season Madness 2017

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Mud Season Madness 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

March 1–31
Row or ski 5000 meters a day for 25 days in March to meet the basic Mud Season Challenge! Kick it up a notch and row or ski 10,000 meters or more for 25 days in March to meet the advanced Mud Season Madness Challenge.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jill told me I am to do this challenge. Amusingly enough, I'm sitting here on March 2nd having completed 3 days of the Mud Season 5k level challenge. Pretty cool!!

I am a time bender, you see. One who usually bends it the wrong way. :lol:

What I've learned is that if I join the 30 minute sessions on RowPro at 9 pm my time (pst), and then auto-upload the row to C2, it logs as the next day (est) and there's nothing I can do about it.

So I ended up having to row 10,000m the first day of the challenge (5000 autoloaded to day 2, another 5000 entered manually), just to get in my 5k as day 1.

And now I'm a day ahead! But so be it.

Cheers
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Re: Mud Season Madness 2017

Post by zootMutant »

CamiCrew wrote:And now I'm a day ahead! But so be it.
That doesn't happen every day! Keep going, don't stop now! :P

You have to exceed 5k on 25 different days, right?
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

That's the basic idea. I'll be away Sat through Tues midnight so likely to miss 3 days here imminently.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

CamiCrew wrote:Jill told me I am to do this challenge.
“ I am very grateful to have Barb relatively nearby, as she often prods me into action. “ :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was a quote ( complete with smileys ) by Christine, taken from last year’s October CTC. On her behalf, I was merely returning the favour, even though virtual big sticks are extremely difficult to come by. :lol: :wink:

As you know, Peggy and I, will be delighted to keep you company and allowances will be made for OTW activities - see, we’re not that mean. :) :wink:
CamiCrew wrote: So I ended up having to row 10,000m the first day of the challenge (5000 autoloaded to day 2, another 5000 entered manually), just to get in my 5k as day 1.

And now I'm a day ahead! But so be it.
This definitely deserves a Triple A Star for using your wits and ingenuity whilst under pressure. =D> :D
zootMutant wrote:You have to exceed 5k on 25 different days, right?
CamiCrew wrote:That's the basic idea. I'll be away Sat through Tues midnight so likely to miss 3 days here imminently.

Enjoy your days away and remember, there’s always the diluted, default position to fall back on: [-o< :lol: :wink:

The Muddy Water Madness Challenge - row 2500m a day for 12 days in March.

Take care. :)
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Jill my car is packed and I'm ready to head out, but before leaving, I connected the HQ to my erg and did not only my requisite 5k, but tacked on a few meters to log a CTC piece for Bob S. You, my dear, get full credit. ^O^

Back Wednesday! Will be on and off the grid in Yosemite Natl Park.

Cheers!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by K_Cat »

Well done with the motivation, Jill! :lol: Keep going, Barbara! Hope you have fun in Yosemite. =D>

Peggy
FarSide rowing schedule.jpg
FarSide rowing schedule.jpg (133.91 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Peggy that is hilarious.

I spent today just below Yosemite, awaiting my ski buddy. The morning started with pelting rain, which returned in the afternoon as mini-hail, then giant swirling snowflakes. For Californian (beach dwellers), this is amazing stuff!

Back to the slave schedule Wednesday :)
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
BorisZ
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by BorisZ »

Thankful for challenges that occasionally pull me out of my rowing slump that affected me in the past couple years. Calluses forming to swat those handle down demons away.
So many FS show up in the Honor board - even here in WI!
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130
Jill

Post by Jill »

CamiCrew wrote:Jill my car is packed and I'm ready to head out, but before leaving, I connected the HQ to my erg and did not only my requisite 5k, but tacked on a few meters to log a CTC piece for Bob S. You, my dear, get full credit.
Thank you Barbara, that’s a lovely thing to say.

I’m glad that I was able able to provide the motivation but you were responsible for the rest, as you were the one who sat on the erg and rowed the metres. For that, I would say that you deserve to reward yourself maximum Brownie points. =D> :)

I do hope that you are having a marvellous time in Yosemite - the sight of giant swirling snowflakes may fill you with wonder but for us here in the British Isles, ( apart from the Scottish Highlands where they are appreciated because of the ski-ing ) the mere mention of the word snow … :shock: :-s

One flake = Countrywide anxiety.
Two flakes = National emergency
Three flakes = We’re all doomed. :lol: :wink:
CamiCrew wrote:Back to the slave schedule Wednesday
Me too. :lol:

Safe journey home. :)
K_Cat wrote:Well done with the motivation, Jill
Thank you Peggy. :)
CamiCrew wrote:Peggy that is hilarious.
Yes Peggy, it’s a wonderful cartoon. =D> :lol: Only worrying thing is, I’m not certain if I’m supposed to be the front left, or righthand figure. Hang on … it’s the one on the left, I recognise the necklace. I’ve changed … My hair is shorter now. :lol:

Hi Boris - glad to hear that this challenge has motivated you also and you’ve been able to literally shake the dust off your erg and figuratively speaking, off yourself as well. Keep going. =D> :)

:fssmile: You’re a fine one to talk about motivation!

Oh! :o :oops: Hello Mb. Fancy meeting you here, How lovely. :^o Can’t stop though. Must dash.

:fssmile: Not so fast young lady. I want a word with you … [-X
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Glad you showed up, Boris. How are the callouses?

Peggy & Jill - rock stars! Jill do you and Richard still share an erg? Surely you're negotiating the premium time slots with all those meters cranking out.

Yesterday was "take 2 advil and call me in the morning". Yosemite was fantastic, but verging on Type II fun. :lol:

Christine joined me today for a 5k paddle & that was great.

Cheers.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Jill

Post by Jill »

Barbara, Richard and I still share an erg, although we do have two now, a Model E, bought last summer and the original Model D, which our son, Ian, has ‘ inherited ‘.

If Ian no longer wanted the Model D, I’m not quite sure where we would put it - some mega re - organisation in our ( double ) garage would be necessary.

I’m quite happy to erg in solitude, with only the occasional spider to keep me company. Recently, during a row, one abseiled down from the garage ceiling, landed on my arm, then stayed put as he rode the wave. Barbara, I’ve just had a mental picture of a spider on a surfboard. Amazing balance. 8) :lol:

Larks rather than owls, we’re usually a couple of early bird rowers and it suits us both to let Richard have the first slot. It’s habit really - when I started rowing, it made practical sense to let Richard go first, as understandably, I was a lot, lot slower. I’m just slightly slower now. :lol: :wink:

So glad to hear that you had a wonderful time in Yosemite, the photos were beautiful and I hope that your protesting muscles aren’t protesting quite as much as they were?

More Brownie points for you and a generous helping for Christine - my mock bossiness apart, I do appreciate, that along with everyone else, including myself, you have a life away from rowing. :)
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Thanks Jill. Muscles are done protesting but you may recall during crazy bear one of my "weak spots" was a nerve or disc or something that acts up and bothers my left side. It's decided to flare up, so even sitting is painful. We've been doing long car trips with Jack's mom here, which are not helping. Back to the doc Thurs meanwhile I'll need to defer to the muddy waters challenge. Hope to be back to it soon.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by K_Cat »

Very sorry to hear that your back is acting up, Barbara! Sitting in a car for long periods of time is a sure way to get a pain in the butt!

If they're not positive that it's a disc issue, I get sciatica from my piriformis sometimes. Running and long slow rows usually loosen up my muscles and give me temporary relief from the pain (after the first several minutes of gritting my teeth). Figure-4 stretches and lots of lots of foam rolling my glutes helps me too. I've heard good things about using a squash or even a tennis ball for "trigger point therapy" too. Sounds sort of like the figure-4 butt foam rolling that I do.

Hope your doctor can get you fixed up, and that you're feeling better soon!

Peggy
Jill

Post by Jill »

Barbara my dear, I am sorry to hear that you are in such discomfort, it sounds very unpleasant. I hope that your doctor will be able to provide some helpful suggestions that will alleviate the discomfort.

Don’t worry about the challenge - right now, the most important priority, is you, and your well being. :)

Best wishes and take great care.xxxx
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

Hello,

I am still participating on that challenge despite of a common cold...so there is a thin window to perform sports within heart rate limit sessions. In this mud season challenge i do due heart rate limit 5001m within a HR range 96-109/min - regenerative. If there is any sign of fever or affecting the lungs- stop sign: no sports...So this thin window is only open for a mild upper respiratory infection...and only in a regenerative setting. Hope it will be better soon. And congrats to all who earned a lots of meters with this challenge. HR limit is like driving on German Autobahn with speed limit 100...waiting for the repeal sign...
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Wishing you a speedy recovery Claudius. Going at 100 REALLY sucks!
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg