Madchester 2017...

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Madchester 2017...

Post by plummy »

Paul Victory wrote:As I'm scheduled to arrive 30 minutes before Peter, perhaps we could travel together from the airport?
Yes, that would make sense. I think you are both T3 and I was picking Peter up anyway so hang around for him and I'll grab the pair of you. Peter knows the routine for getting in the car (officially it's drop off only so scrap the pleasantries, just throw your bags in the car, get it and I'll scoot away)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Grobi »

plummy wrote:Yes, that would make sense. I think you are both T3 and I was picking Peter up anyway so hang around for him and I'll grab the pair of you. Peter knows the routine for getting in the car (officially it's drop off only so scrap the pleasantries, just throw your bags in the car, get it and I'll scoot away)
Dave, having checked my boarding pass it seems I'm flying into T1. No problem, just allow me 10 minutes to walk over to T3 when you reccon pickup time.

Paul, wait at the exit of T3, I'll meet you there.
Last edited by Grobi on Wed May 03, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy

Post by plummy »

You are right Peter - Easyjet have moved to T1 now.

When you exit the terminal (T3) for pick up, go as far left as you can to the farthest "drop off" bays on the road. I'll be less conspicuous picking you up there.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Plummy

As my flight gets in first, would it not make more sense for me to walk over to T1? Or is it easier to pick someone up outside T3 than outside T1?

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Last year I arrived at T1 and met Paul V at T3. from that experience I found it took 5-10 minutes to walk from one Terminal to the other, but unknown factors could be flight could be delayed (neither wasn´t) and queue at the passport gate, at the time I arrived there I couldn´t walk right through, because of a rather long queue and the self-service "gate" was closed in Manchester T1 at that time...

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Paul Victory wrote:As my flight gets in first, would it not make more sense for me to walk over to T1? Or is it easier to pick someone up outside T3 than outside T1?Paul V
It would make sense time wise but pick up situation is easier at T3 than at T1.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy

Post by plummy »

Grobi wrote:
Paul Victory wrote:As my flight gets in first, would it not make more sense for me to walk over to T1? Or is it easier to pick someone up outside T3 than outside T1?Paul V
It would make sense time wise but pick up situation is easier at T3 than at T1.
Correct - I'd have to pay to pick up at T1 (and it's a much larger waiting area/car park so easier to miss you)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

That's grand so. It makes life easier for me. I'll head straight for the exit once I get through passport control.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

Paul Victory wrote:That's grand so. It makes life easier for me. I'll head straight for the exit once I get through passport control.
If Peter is coming over from T1 to meet you, wait in the T3 terminal and let Peter meet you there. Hanging around outside will only attract the attention of the parking police zealots. Only move to the outside pick up point when you are both together.
I'll watch Peter's plane on my radar and leave my house 10 minutes after he's landed and just circle the block until I see you both
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

Moving away from pickups etc...

For lunch I suspect most will not want to eat much (with races impending) so I'll just get some trays of sandwiches and nibbles etc. If anyone (Jill/Sheena) is bringing anything foody over please let me know asap so I don't duplicate anything on my Costco trip.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Sheena wrote:We gave up on trying to find somewhere to rent and ended up buying a place. We hope to move in within the next month, until that time we are continuing our holiday . The house is in a village in Northumberland, not far from where we are staying at the moment. It feels good to have somewhere more permanent to live!
Jan and Sheena, that's excellent news. :D
Sheena wrote:Jill, I'm looking forward to some of your dotty stories, maybe it should be an entry requirement to tell a story
Sheena, please don't egg me on! [-X :wink: Too late! #-o :lol: I'll probably forget, but I do have a story that involves my favourite handbag and scrambled eggs. :fsbgrin:
plummy wrote:For lunch I suspect most will not want to eat much (with races impending) so I'll just get some trays of sandwiches and nibbles etc. If anyone (Jill/Sheena) is bringing anything foody over please let me know asap so I don't duplicate anything on my Costco trip.
David, I wasn't planning to bring anything in the way of food but let me know if anyone would like some triple chocolate brownies etc. A lot of sugar though isn't it? :oops:

Hope you are recovering well from jet lag?

Safe journeys everyone - see you all on Saturday. :)
plummy

Post by plummy »

If you weren't planning to then I would leave it Jill. I'll buy a Costco cake (they are pretty huge anyway). I suppose my only debate is carrot cake or chocolate (tough decision)... :?

As a final count I have it as

Jan and Sheena
Jill and Richard
Ann and Peter
Peter W
Paul V
Erik C P
Tako L
Dave P
Mrs P

(did I miss anyone?)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Sheena
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Sheena »

Jill, Sounds hilarious I will remind you on that!

Dave, no plans on the food front and either cake sounds good to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jill

Post by Jill »

plummy wrote:If you weren't planning to then I would leave it Jill. I'll buy a Costco cake (they are pretty huge anyway). I suppose my only debate is carrot cake or chocolate (tough decision)...
Thank you David - either cake also sounds good to the Underwoods.
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

plummy wrote:If you weren't planning to then I would leave it Jill. I'll buy a Costco cake (they are pretty huge anyway). I suppose my only debate is carrot cake or chocolate (tough decision)... :?

As a final count I have it as

Jan and Sheena
Jill and Richard
Ann and Peter
Peter W
Paul V
Erik C P
Tako L
Dave P
Mrs P

(did I miss anyone?)
Paul Findlay?
And what about Stan?

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy

Post by plummy »

Paul told me this morning he can't make it and I haven't heard from Stan at all (I have asked him directly more than once)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

It's a pity neither of them can make it. Have you given any thought to what type of challenge you're going to set up? I know a handicap 5k was suggested.

I'm not sure I'll be able to row. My back has been pretty uncomfortable since doing the CTC last Sunday and I've done no erging since. I'm tempted to try this month's CTC, but sprint intervals is possibly the worst thing I could do with lower back problems, not that something like that would stop me! :shock: :lol:

I think the most sensible thing would be not to bring any rowing gear with me so that I'm not tempted to have a go at something, but I'll see how I'm feeling on Friday before I make a final decision.

Paul V
Peter_S
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by Peter_S »

Paul, I am willing to ply you with drink until you come around to my point of view that attending rowing events does not imply, nor create any pressure to, doing any rowing. 8)

Peter

ps: Plummy, If you have not completed all your shopping on Thursday, we can help on Friday.
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Sorry, yes if course it would be nice if Stan could come, too :!: :fssmile:

Yes, I know it can be tempting to erg, Paul :!: :wink: :wink: Hope you are feeling well, and will make the right decision in that respect :wink: :!:

Right now I´m still affected by the increase in BBs one week ago. Only been doing very little erging recently. Well, trying to find some arguments - but just to say Ì´m determined not to row :!: (Well, I rowed twice last year - doesn´t that count for something :?: :lol: )

Looking forward to seeing you all :!: 8)

Edit: Side-effects from the BBs were a bit too tough for me, so now back on the initial dosis so hopefully I will feel better in a couple of days :!: :D
Last edited by Liefcat on Thu May 04, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jill

Post by Jill »

David, I forgot to say that we will be food shopping ourselves tomorrow; happy to bring some wine and bottles of different beers, although not too much ... of what my dear Methodist, maternal grandmother, always called the ' Demon Drink ' . :wink:
plummy

Post by plummy »

Happy to accept any additional donations for drink as that's not something on my shopping list (being a non-drinker). I'm off to Costco with Mrs P tonight and shall be utilising my expertise - not in choosing foodstuffs but more like in pushing the cart and then extracting my credit card at the end of proceedings.
Getting my excuses in early: - with me being away last week and chasing my tail catching up this week I fear I may forget something important but I'm hoping as long as it isn't leaving someone at the airport, we'll muddle through somehow.

P.S. the weather appears to be playing nice with a dry forecast and around 14 degrees (good for rowing).
We will only have 3 ergs this year so I've set up a schedule of head to head races (handicapped to a degree). The schedule is short owing to lack of numbers fit and well enough to take part but it'll leave more time for any technique work and/or eating and drinking :-)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Peter_S wrote:Paul, I am willing to ply you with drink until you come around to my point of view that attending rowing events does not imply, nor create any pressure to, doing any rowing. 8)

Peter

ps: Plummy, If you have not completed all your shopping on Thursday, we can help on Friday.
I've more or less decided not to do any erging at this year's Madchester, so I'm happy to take you up on the 'ply me with drink' offer! :mrgreen:

If I have a brainstorm tomorrow and decide to bring my rowing gear 'just in case' I'll know that I'm a lost cause and should take up something more sensible like bungee jumping. :twisted:

Paul V
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Paul Victory wrote: If I have a brainstorm tomorrow and decide to bring my rowing gear 'just in case' I'll know that I'm a lost cause and should take up something more sensible like bungee jumping. :twisted:
Paul, on several occasions I mentioned the term ´reverse psychology´, so... :lol: :wink: No, seriously, as I said before, I´m sure you will make the right decision :!: :fssmile:

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

I am really jealous as I know how great these get-togethers are having attended the inaugural one back in 2010 :(

Have a great time everyone and I hope the weather is kind to you :wink:

I am off for my annual jaunt to Cornwall :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Thanks Alan, it's a shame you can't make it but you've got a very good reason not to come :fswink:

I'll be leaving office in 15 minutes to head to Munich airport. Looking forward to meeting new and familiar faces, see you all tonight or tomorrow by the latest! :fswink:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg