The Newquay Mixed Small Team 100km Relay Challenge

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

The Newquay Mixed Small Team 100km Relay Challenge

Post by Jill »

I posted my initial introduction about this event, on last Friday’s ( 23.9.2016 ) ‘ What Training Have Free Spirits Been Doing Today? ‘ thread.

Joe posted an excellent write up about the challenge, on Facebook but for those of you who will not have seen it, he is quite happy for me to quote all or parts of his account here. I’ll then add my personal take on the day.

“ Many thanks to Tommy Gee for arranging such a memorable weekend at Newquay. He spared no effort in making the best arrangements possible in regard to the venue, equipment, hydration and nutrition and contingency plans both for the rowers and machines.

Eight rowers completed the 70 + men small team “ No Surrender “ relay: Tommy Gee, John Gibbons, Peter Jones, Tony Lorrimer, Chris Marrow, Tim Sherriff, Roger Stainforth and Tom Yule. They rowed 20 strokes for most of the distance but cut back towards the end. The finishing time of 5hrs 49mins 50.2secs @ 1.44.9 established a record which will be very hard to beat.

The 60 + mixed small team “ Anne Yates’s Diamonds “ consisted of 6 women, Georgina Price, Denise Puzey, Marjorie Roome, Hazel Stainforth, Jill Underwood and Heather Yule with three men, Joe Keating, Alain Mangin and Andy Osborn. We experienced a breakdown after 24km @ 1.49 pace when the top bolt securing the left-hand foot-stretcher loosened, leaving the nut inside the enclosed box beneath the stretcher. Thanks to Tommy’s contingency plan, we lost little time in transferring to another machine programmed with the remaining metres. Andy Price and Norman, there really to cover medical emergencies, fixed the problem so we could transfer back to the more comfortable Model E. By a bizarre coincidence, we then had a similar problem with the bottom bolt on the right-hand stretcher with a similar rigmarole until it was fixed.

The final 56km was trouble-free.

Two vital precautions when undertaking these events are:

1) Always have a spare machine
2) Keep a stop-watch running so that there is an accurate recording of the total time taken from the first stroke to the last over the 100km.

We arranged the stints so that the men and women rowed 200 metres alternately throughout. This meant that the two genders rowed half the total distance. The overall time was 6hrs 13mins 48.5secs @ 1.52.0 for 100,063 metres. This includes possibly 30secs for the four changes of machines and, perhaps a minute lost in paddling one-footed as the other machine was being set up with the remaining metres. As someone remarked “ It’s a bit like Formula 1 racing. “

We had a convivial dinner at the excellent Griffin Inn later that evening and a good crowd turned up for Sunday lunch and an excellent view of the Cornish Gig Championship at the Surfer’s Bar.

Andy Price took a great number of photos; no doubt these will be released over the coming days. “

I'll post my write up later today.

In the meantime, Darth Vader awaits ... :fsbgrin: :fswink:
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: The Newquay Mixed Small Team 100km Relay Challenge

Post by strider77 »

Fantastic-I can hardly wait for the sequel Jill :D =D> ^O^
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Jill

Post by Jill »

Thank you Alan - after Joe’s account, things might take a bit of a nosedive on the technical side but here goes …

Despite my trepidation, it was a pleasure to meet and row with such a wonderful group of people, who never once made me feel that my lack of experience and speed, compared to theirs, was going to be a handicap to the team. They only provided me with plenty of kindness, support, encouragement and humour.

It was decided to start the challenge at 11.30am ( which in reality became 11.45am ) - Georgina had advised me to have some breakfast, so at 8.00am I had yoghurt, a banana and then some scrambled eggs with a slice of toast.

We spent plenty of time before the ‘off ‘ warming up and practising the changeovers; it was agreed that there would always be someone on ‘ seat duty ‘ and if needed, someone on ‘ helping a team mate off the erg duty ‘.

In order to make it easier to slip our feet in and out of the foot straps, Alain had adapted them into something resembling a stirrup, ( a method used successfully by the French relay teams ).

Each strap was encased in sponge tubing, which was then held in place, by wrapping it around tightly, with masking tape.

Most of us then chose to go without our shoes and just wear thick socks; this was my preferred option, as my rowing shoes tended to catch on the heel part of the foot-stretcher - I wore The Pink Star socks underneath. :fsgrin:

We then decided the rotation order and with Joe pulling back the handle for that first 200 metres, The ‘ Diamonds ‘ were off!

Before I go any further, it’s important to mention, that from the first 200 metres to the last, the other team members rowed with good technique and controlled and even pace, the latter only dropping slightly when fatigue started to set in. They were impressive. ^O^ =D>

In Plummy’s reply to my original post, he said that he knew I’d be worrying about my pace compared to the others … Very astute of him and again spot on, as this is a major problem with me; how to pace myself properly, so that I don’t start off too quickly ( it’s invariably a type of panic ) and then pay the price later. It’s funny how things go, I can apply common sense to plenty of other situations in my life …

This is what happened during my first two sessions and I was very gently advised to slow down, as there was a long way to go still … I took note and decided that I needed to be sensible and stay at a slower but realistic pace of 1.55; better to arrive than not at all. This worked most of the time, until the final 10 x 200 when my legs started to let me down during those last 50 metres:

Right leg, “ Is the old bird with us? “ :roll:
Left leg, “ Haven’t a clue mate! “ :lol:

Practising at home, my fastest pace had been 2.05 and I was desperate not to let it creep above that, although, at this point, I could at least take some comfort from hearing others say that they were also starting to feel tired. I think it was the penultimate 200 when, almost at the end of the row, I hit 2.11. Mmmm … :roll: Managed to redeem myself a little during the final 200 and didn’t let the pace go higher than 2.07.

My ‘ technique ‘ started to unravel; very sloppy by the end. [-X

Alain rowed the last 200 metres and the Diamonds gave a huge cheer. We had done it! =D> =D> =D>

Of course, there were plenty of amusing moments along the way. I think it was one of the young 70’s who came across when Joe was rowing, and called him the ‘ Duracell Bunny ‘, which was a good description because whatever he might have been feeling, Joe did give the impression that he could have gone on and on and on and on … In my mind though, he will always be ‘ Joe The Jet Man ‘. :)

In the rowing order, I had Andy in front of me and he set off at a cracking pace and hardly seemed to let up at all, so in my mind he will always be ‘ The Cracking Cornishman ‘. :) It was my job to make sure that he sat down safely but on a couple of occasions he was so raring to go that he nearly missed the seat. In order to guide him down safely, I took to holding onto the back of his shorts - we both agreed that if I accidentally pulled them down, I wouldn’t see anything that I hadn’t seen before … Apart from his tail … :shock: :lol:

I was nervous about taking over from Andy because I knew that I wouldn’t be able to keep up his pace - I mentally told myself to shut up and get on with it.

It was therefore a great advantage to have Alain come after me as I knew that he would make extremely short work of getting the pace back down again - please imagine an express train and you’ll get the picture; in my mind, Alain will always be ‘ The Flying Frenchman ‘. :)

Three Great Gentlemen and five Great Ladies. ^O^ =D>

Sometimes, during one of my rest intervals, I’d look around the room and take in the scene: the 70’s, laughing and joking and counting down the twenty strokes for whosever’s turn it was on the erg, Andy calling across to them and saying that we were at least 20,000 metres ahead and Tommy Gee booming back that he didn’t believe him, Denise, urging us to have one of her honey sandwiches and Marjorie, blessed with long legs, sprinting beautifully, with her hair flying out behind her, or one of the men, taking their turn and seemingly, getting on and off the erg in the time it takes to blink an eye.

It has taken me a while and a lot of reflection to think of a word or words to try and describe how I felt watching all this lively activity and I’ve finally decided on joyous and uplifting.

Question: What do the ‘ Diamonds ‘ all have in common? What connects us?
Answer: We are all young.

When I’m rowing, one of the groups I like to listen to is Snow Patrol. One song in particular sums it all up for me; it’s called ‘ PPP ( Studio Version ) and it consists of one lyric, repeated over and over again:

“ You won’t be around forever girl you ‘ gotta ‘ grab life with both hands. “

Thank you too, Free Spirits, for helping me get this far. :fsbgrin:

Jill :)
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Great write up Jill. It makes me feel like I was there (and makes me regret even more that I couldn't be). ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

These sorts of events are more special to me than the big "races". The team spirit, camaraderie and friendship built around them lasts a long time, uplifts and inspires.

Great write up Jill- and very well done again. =D> =D> ^O^
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Sheena
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Sheena »

Really well done Jill for keeping it up until the end, great achievement =D> ^O^ ^O^

Loved the write up, especially you holding on to Andy's shorts :shock:

I see you're back clocking up the meters for the fall challenge so I guess you're fully recovered :fsgrin:

Sheena and Jan
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Jill - agree this is a wonderful write up. So happy you took the leap and did it!

Did Andy have on his pink star... OK nevermind, but I also enjoyed that part of the story.

The pacing strategy was really interesting. Wonder how 200 was selected.

CONGRATULATIONS!!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Tgtaylor
Warming up

Post by Tgtaylor »

Great resolve ! =D>
Great result. ! =D> =D>
Great rower ! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

Good one Jill
Trev Age 60 184cm 84-89Kg Started Rowing Oct 2014
Jill

Post by Jill »

Thank you all. :D
Paul Victory wrote: It makes me feel like I was there (and makes me regret even more that I couldn't be).
Paul, you were a 1st Class contributor to the January mixed large team event =D> - you should have provided us with a write up. There is now talk of an over 60’s ladies' large team event and an over 60’s men's large team event to hopefully run together, sometime next year.

Pleased to hear that your erg is back in action. :)
CamiCrew wrote:Did Andy have on his pink star... OK nevermind, but I also enjoyed that part of the story.

Young Barbara, that’s very naughty … :shock: [-X :lol: :wink: But then again, I do have a very naughty imagination. :lol: :wink:

Well done on the 30 minute score of 7023m, and, achieved on your birthday too =D> - you now have access to a very special energy source called, Fifties Fuel - extremely high octane, but perhaps not quite as high as Sixties and Seventies ... :fsbgrin: :fswink:
CamiCrew wrote:Wonder how 200 was selected.
It was thought that anything over 200m would be too much for each rep and although it was suggested the ladies might prefer to row 150m, we decided that would mean too many changeovers. 200m was also used for the January challenge.

I’ll take this opportunity to congratulate those of you who have recently achieved new PB’s and SB’s and great going and best wishes to all of you who are undergoing any sort of training. =D> Good luck. :)

Lots of congratulations in advance to those taking part in this month’s CTC and also the IRL.

Jan and Sheena. Are you really going? If so, then have a wonderful time, although I do hope that you will be back. :D Sheena, you are one of our very precious ladies. :)

As a past contributor to the Weight Loss thread, it’s heartening to read about how well ( this does of course include Paul ) you are all doing. Keep going everyone. =D> :)

This is going to make me sound incredibly nosy and a fusspot, but I do hope that Sarah Warren is okay. Since I joined FS, I’m so used to seeing her daily Meterboard entries, ( apart from the occasional short absence ) that it seems strange looking at the continuous line of blanks against her name. Could be for any number of reasons I know, just hope she's alright.

Take care everyone. :)
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Thank you for the great and very lively writeup Jill! Also many congratulations on your great rowing and the world record of course! =D> =D> =D>
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Jill

Post by Jill »

Thank you Peter :D - I'll put my ' great ' rowing down to being in the company of some really great rowers. :fsbgrin:

For me, it's always a great pleasure to look back at other FS's write ups - in the archives, we have a wonderful, well written collection, including many of yours. :)

Mind how you go everyone and best wishes to those of you, who, due to injury, illness or other reasons, are having to rest up at the moment. Health and well being should always come first. :)
Sheena

Post by Sheena »

Jill wrote:Jan and Sheena. Are you really going? If so, then have a wonderful time, although I do hope that you will be back. :D
Still in the planning stage at the moment Jill but we are making progress having sold my car and the house :shock:
Once we get the flights booked it will really feel like we are on the way!

We will certainly be back and will keep up with the forum even if we can't find an erg anywhere :fssmile:
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Fantastic achievement Gill, belated congratulations =D> =D> =D>
(treat yourself to a nice frame for the certificate :P )
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Jill

Post by Jill »

Sheena wrote:We will certainly be back and will keep up with the forum even if we can't find an erg anywhere
Jan and Sheena's ' Notes From A Large Southern Hemisphere ' perhaps ... :fsbgrin:
Wolfmiester wrote:Fantastic achievement Gill, belated congratulations
(treat yourself to a nice frame for the certificate )
Thank you Steve. :)

The last certificate that I received, was for for completing a Food Hygiene Course and it was immediately filed away. This one will definitely be framed and hung on the wall. :fsbgrin: