September CTC: Tribesports Ten

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: September CTC: Tribesports Ten

Post by Grobi »

zootMutant wrote:Not exactly according to instructions, but fairly close. Not quite as smooth as last time, but stronger! I'm very happy with this...
And you have every reason to be! Quicker pace with a slower stroke rate, well done! Did you work on yout technique in the meantime? Interesting that your heart rate didn't rise during the finish sprint. Is 165 your max heart rate?
zootMutant wrote:but Peter is probably going to make me do it over. :lol:
Of course :twisted: :fswink: Gain is getting smaller now but you still managed to improve by 41m compared to your first go. Why not start the next one at 2:03 for the first six minutes, then 2:02 for the next two minutes (you'd be at PB pace by then which should give you additional motivation for the finish sprint) and then see what's left in the final two minutes? :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Excellent stuff from all. =D>
This should really be an engaging piece, but I've lost ALL motivation to train. No gym or rower in Sept whatsoever. :(
I plan to drag myself to the garage today and post a score.
hoping this post will keep me honest.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Come on Steve, you know you want it. It's ten minutes of pure fun :^o :fswink:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Posted my first "not by accident, I'm actually trying 10 minutes" on my local gym PM5 last night. Slightly broken through training the night before, so I offer humble apologies to those others in boat V.

Its a marker (repeat ad nauseum).
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Managed a small improvement yesterday - from 2684m to 2702m. I've been really struggling to hold any kind of pace for anything more than a couple of minutes, so I'm just glad I managed to see this piece through. Only about 1 second faster than my 5k pace from Madchester and over 5 seconds slower than my 2k pace from my May.

It's worrying how much fitness I've lost. In particular, my 'mental toughness' seems to have all but disappeared. I'm going to try working on this aspect over the next while, with a 'no HD' rule and I promise to own up to any time I fail to keep to this rule. I expect to be severely reprimanded by my teammates if this happens.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Well, after finding myself in boat III I thought I give it another try and plotted Dean's time in as pace boat. It all went well but at the start the sliding erg tempered with my concentration and at about 3-2,5 min left to go I blew up and went to 2:10's :-( but the month ain't other yet and the new erg-anti-slide mat from C2 is going to be ordered today ;-) ) so don't feel to comfy in boat II :-)
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
J-Dog

Post by J-Dog »

It's really comfy in boat VII.

Can just see the river, through the doors of the boat house, when the folks in boats VI and V move their heads a bit.

:-)

J-Dog
58 yrs 91 kg 5' 10" BMI 28.7
Lifetime metres: 901,463
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

elbow seems totally healed but want to give it another couple of days to make sure, then I will have a gentle 10 mins so I can at least register a time.
pb times
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Very enjoyable Sunday afternoon session on RowPro with the GLRC guys and Shirley G. Couple warmup pieces and then a first 10 min CTC marker. 2486 and a 2:00.6 split at a 28. Hung out at the entrance to the pain cave for this one. Suppose next time I'll need to plummet headlong into the darkness. :twisted: :~c ](*,) :lol:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
angrytongan
Warming up

Post by angrytongan »

@Tako I feel both privileged and scared to be used as a pace boat :)
Male, 42, 5'11", 96kg. Hoping Santa will bring me a SkiErg.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Being a bit of a numbers freak, I've just noticed that 3 of the last 4 scores entered for this months CTC were for the exact same distance - 2672m. Odds against that must be pretty high!

BTW, first of the 3 was our very own Grobi. Well done Peter!

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Thanks Paul, I noticed that too. I was wondering if I should enter my score today while writing the report but then decided to do it right away. Good choice I'd say :D

So I had my fourth go at this month's ctc. On the one hand I had done some decent training since my last attempt, on the other hand I had a quite intense :lol: visit of the Okoberfest in Munich on Sunday which was still in my body (in my head to be precise). I hadn't seen my good friend Alan for quite a while because he's 25m ahead of me in this challenge so the plan was to get anywhere near his pace of 1:51.6. My pace from last time was 1:52.6 so I tried to stick to a 1:53 pace as long as possible and see if there's anything left for a finish sprint:

02mins. / 1:52.9 / 28 / 167
04mins. / 1:52.7 / 28 / 170
06mins. / 1:52.5 / 29 / 176
08mins. / 1:52.1 / 29 / 180
10mins. / 1:50.9 / 31 / 184

Total: 2672m / 1:52.2 / 29

There was no chance of catching Alan today, in fact I was happy to just improve my score, if only by 8m. I seriously considered to h/d with 3 mins. to go but overall pace was at 1:52.6 at this point, too much energy invested to just give it up. I concentrated on keeping the split below 1:52 to ensure I'd get a new PB for this ctc, not much left for a real finish sprint though.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy

Post by plummy »

Strong effort Peter. Now, if you'd just get on with it and push a bit faster it will completely stop me wondering if I have any chance of attacking it. As it stands I keep thinking it's worth a shot but after re-aggravating my elbow moving a washing machine around on Sunday I think I may just stick with the slower rows for a while longer.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Rodger
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Had my second go today and managed 26 meters more than the first time.
I tried to avoid the 'mid-session slump' that I have so often. Didn't succeed completely, but at least this time I was able to postpone it to the penultimate split and limit its severity.

M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Well done Roger! That's an unbelievably high heart rate by the way! :shock:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Really fantastic effort Peter =D>

I must confess that I have tried several times to beat my first attempt but have been having Paul's problems of lacking any mental toughness.

Instead I have been doing quite a few metres for the Challenge-however the 60 mins I did on Sunday was really hard, I wanted to stop at 30 mins but "gutted" it out to finish, first time my hamstrings have ached during a row ever !, it could have been the Squats I did on Saturday which was a singularly silly thing to do :roll: :lol:

Rodger thats a great effort and your heart must be made of Titanium 197 !! WOW :shock:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Thanks Peter. It's less than 100m under your score, so that's good enough (for now). :)
That is, until I get kicked out of boat IV by another lwt (Jan? Jon?), then I may have to consider a third attempt. :-k

Yes, I have a high max HR, sometimes reaching 200. Looking at it now, it seems I left three heartbeats on the table there. :twisted:

Edit: Thank you, Alan, too. :fsgrin:
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
J-Dog

Post by J-Dog »

Mucho respect to all the proper rowers. Very impressive speeds/distances.

At the other end of the list, I'm making you all look better by steadfastly holding onto last place, now on my own in a boat again.

Managed to add another 56m, and just crept under 2:20 for the first time since getting back on the erg.

A bit more steady progress, and I'll be able to give Sheena some pressure on 2:12 ish :roll:

J-Dog
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

strider77 wrote: I must confess that I have tried several times to beat my first attempt but have been having Paul's problems of lacking any mental toughness.

Rodger thats a great effort and your heart must be made of Titanium 197 !! WOW :shock:
I've been working on the "mental toughness" aspect and had another go at the CTC today. Target was to get under 1:50 pace, which I managed for the first 4 minutes or so, but then began to really struggle. The HD demons started whispering in my ear, but I decided I was going to keep plugging away and managed to keep the pace at 1:51 or 1:52. A final sprint got me close to my objective, but not quite there - 2725m @ 1:50.1 pace. Still in seat 3 in boat 3 and in danger of being relegated to boat 4. I'll probably have to have another go at this! :shock: #-o

Rodger, what can I say? Great CTC, but are you part hummingbird?
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Very strong row Paul, well done! And especially well done for holding through when things got ugly =D> I can see your fear of being pushed into FS IV (which isn't a bad thing at all :lol: ), given that Dan Fennell still is going to post a score AND that David Holmberg has posted a great score. Unfortunately for us heavyweights he is hwt now :shock:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

jhaveman

Post by jhaveman »

Rodger - well done, but you've started something now :evil:

I was planning to have another go in the next few days (when the memories of my recent 2k attempt have faded a bit) but I see I may have to do this sooner rather than later. My target is somewhere close to 2,600m, we'll see how things go :roll:

Well done Peter, Paul and J-Dog for recent improvements. Looking forward to reports of further rows, gives me extra motivation to try again myself.
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

J-Dog wrote:Mucho respect to all the proper rowers. Very impressive speeds/distances.

At the other end of the list, I'm making you all look better by steadfastly holding onto last place, now on my own in a boat again.

Managed to add another 56m, and just crept under 2:20 for the first time since getting back on the erg.

A bit more steady progress, and I'll be able to give Sheena some pressure on 2:12 ish :roll:

J-Dog
Well done, J-Dog, good progress!
It's just as hard for all rowers wherever they are in the ranking, if they commit to get the best out of themselves. In a sense, we in the lower half of the table are lucky this month: when the challenge is distance based, we must work ourselves to the bone for even longer than the ones at the top.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

jhaveman wrote:Rodger - well done, but you've started something now :evil
Isn't it beautiful how I passed you by just 2 meters? :)
I must admit, I had to do a fierce sprint to get there.

At the start of the month, 2600 was my ultimate goal too, but that's too ambitious for me now. If you get there in your next attempt, I will hold my hands up and congratulate you.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
J-Dog

Post by J-Dog »

Rodger wrote: Well done, J-Dog, good progress!
It's just as hard for all rowers wherever they are in the ranking, if they commit to get the best out of themselves.
Cheers, Rodger.

At least it's easier to make progress when you're not yet at your best!

J-Dog
E-Clair
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by E-Clair »

That looks like a very well managed row, Rodger.

Don't worry, J-Dog, I'll be joining you in that boat soon. I thought by this point we would already have as many entries as last month, but not yet.
e-Clair
He who eats the most custard wins.