September CTC: Tribesports Ten

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: September CTC: Tribesports Ten

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Tako wrote:
Rob C wrote: ... the erg jumping around at sprint speeds is a common problem. At Madchester (a FS gathering earlier this year) a number of us were standing on the ergs to hold them down whilst the musclemen pounded away. At the pace you are going you must have good technique already.
Good to know. The people working for the Norwegian C2 office said the jumping/sliding of the erg was due to one going too wild :-)
I'm really looking forward to my first real physical gathering. Ordered the free spirit kit yesterday ;-)
Tako: Congratulations on a great row for the CTC. For very short pieces at high stroke rates, for example a 500m time trial, at 40 spm, it's very hard to keep the erg from dancing a bit. People who focus training on sprinting tend to have non-skid mats and weigh down the erg with barbell plates or sandbags. But it's always good to look for ways to improve technique so you can go faster with the same or less effort.

The best idea to work on technique is to take a short video of you rowing at your target rate and pace. Only 30 seconds or so is all that is needed. Sometimes just looking at it yourself and comparing it to the technique videos on the C2 website will give you ideas on things to work on. You can also upload your clip to vimeo or youtube and post a link here. I've found the Free Spirits to be both helpful and gentle in the coaching they provide.

Again...Great Row!
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
danfennell
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by danfennell »

No consistency, rhyme or reason to any sessions lately. Just wanted to get a marker and try to improve. Pretty pleased all things considered.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan | Age:48 | Ht: 186cm | Wt: 93kg
gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

danfennell wrote:No consistency, rhyme or reason to any sessions lately. Just wanted to get a marker and try to improve. Pretty pleased all things considered.Image

Nice one, Dan. I can feel you breathing down my neck.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Second attempt and with a different strategy (start quicker and see what's left) managed a 25m improvement to 2657m

1:52.9 average at 29SPM. Not quite negative splits with split 2 being 0.2s higher than split 1 but then neg splits
1:53.4
1:53.6
1:53.4
1:52.5
1:51.5 (not so much left this time)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Brave attempt with a well deserved outcome, well done Dave! That one will be hard to beat! =D>
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy

Post by plummy »

Grobi wrote:Brave attempt with a well deserved outcome, well done Dave! That one will be hard to beat! =D>
Thanks Peter. I'm still struggling with my right elbow/forearm so I'm down on full power (relative term of course). That said, I still think I'd like to try and beat Alan's 1:51.9 :twisted:
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Recess

Post by Recess »

Great times everybody!! And a nice improvement Dave!

Just had another full on go. Rather pleased with myself if that's allowed? 2916!

Ok up until 5 - got a little concerned on the way to 6 but then once I got down to 100 strokes to go it was maths. Got to 30 and went for power at the same rate (a bit higher for last 5) . Not a bad split for that last minute. I guess I could have spread that last minute across the whole row, but I don't think my sprint would have done much more.

Most importantly, I'm ahead of Chris Kelly!

Will have another go at the end of the month. But for the time being, this is a good one to go out on.

John Image

It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Stunning 10 minutes John! Most mere mortals would struggle to do 316 meters in the last interval of 10x1'r1'. ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

Paul Victory wrote:Stunning 10 minutes John! Most mere mortals would struggle to do 316 meters in the last interval of 10x1'r1'. ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
100% agreed!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Wow, yes, that's a stunning effort, John! You'll be out of Lwt targets in the CTC soon. ^O^
Some other great Free Spirited rows too, including a very impressive debut by Tako!
Grobi wrote:
Rodger wrote:Haven't done a 2k or something alike in ages, but I did 5 x 6 min (3 min rest) @2:00.2 today. What would be a good target pace for the 10 minutes for me?
You did 30 mins instead of the ctc 10 mins., but with 3mins rest. My (very rough) guess would be that you could do the 10mins in 2:00 pace as well.
Thanks for answering, Peter. I thought I would start at 1:57-something for the first 2 minutes and then see if I could go a second faster every 2 min split. That went south pretty quickly, so it became a mental battle from that point on. Still, I feel I'm back on track to get where I was about a year ago.

M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Well done, John :!: ^O^ ^O^

Will try to catch you, though... :wink:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Recess

Post by Recess »

Good!! I need a reason to push if I try this again. Either to stay ahead, or try to catch you.

It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Nice second attempt Dave

Awesome row John.

Welcome Tako great first CTC.
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Tako

Post by Tako »

Thank you all for the positive feedback! I am still wondering how I managed to do it :-) and I really hope I can keep performing like it.
What I did figure out is why sometimes my erg starts slipping backwards even when I row "normal" ;-)
Turns out that I am that tall and big that my sweat drips done around the back-stand of the erg and makes the mat slippery. So after a while of rowing it gets too wet and I starts sliding into the stuff behind me.
The jumping when I want to go faster than ca 1:45-1:50 I still have not resolved but will try some hints given earlier (thanks) in order to improve my 10min results by the end of the Sept CTC.
\:D/ πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ‡³πŸ‡±πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡©πŸ‡°πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Tako, you might want to try a floor mat, like this one: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/a ... oor-mat-us

For even better noise cancellation (if this is a topic where you row) I find these mats very useful that you place under a washing machine to keep it in place when it starts spinning: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Washing-Machin ... B00E0JVN7G

I'm not comparing you with a washing machine of course :lol: (although the flywheel might rev as high as 1600/min when you do your finish sprint :lol: )

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Rodger wrote:Thanks for answering, Peter. I thought I would start at 1:57-something for the first 2 minutes and then see if I could go a second faster every 2 min split. That went south pretty quickly, so it became a mental battle from that point on. Still, I feel I'm back on track to get where I was about a year ago.
Oops, so my pacing advice was wrong by 2 seconds :oops: But at least you have a starter now for your next try. Good to see you back as a lightweight and at (almost) old fitness :fswink:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Grobi wrote:
Rodger wrote:Thanks for answering, Peter. I thought I would start at 1:57-something for the first 2 minutes and then see if I could go a second faster every 2 min split. That went south pretty quickly, so it became a mental battle from that point on. Still, I feel I'm back on track to get where I was about a year ago.
Oops, so my pacing advice was wrong by 2 seconds :oops: But at least you have a starter now for your next try. Good to see you back as a lightweight and at (almost) old fitness :fswink:
You did say it was a very rough guess, so I'm not holding it against you. :mrgreen:
Personally I was hoping that 5x6 min/r3 would translate to 5k pace for me. That's why I set off quicker than your suggestion. It seems my guess was too optimistic, where yours was on the conservative side.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Tako

Post by Tako »

Hi Grobi, thanks for the tip,. It is the floor mat from concept2 that I use. Bought it together with the erg 5 years ago. Will have to find something absorbing resisting the water, as the "washing machine" is leaking ;-)
\:D/ πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ‡³πŸ‡±πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡©πŸ‡°πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Hard to keep up with all the great rows! Well done, everybody! =D>
Grobi wrote:
zootMutant wrote:But now I have a marker for next time. :P
Exactly! If you start out around 2:06 pace for the first four minutes and then go down to 2:05 in the following four minutes you'd already be at 2:05.5 pace. If you squeeze out a 2:02 pace again in the final two minutes you should end up with a 2:04.8 overall pace. That's your race plan, now you just have to stick to it! :twisted: :fswink:
Thanks for your feedback. Here's how it played out...
2016-09-12_CTC_10min.jpg
I always underestimate the power of psychology. Knowing that I could do it made all the difference! :P

This attempt was much more controlled than my last attempt. Definitely feels like there is room for improvement! 8)
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Welcome on the other side of the 2400m mark zoot, well done! I like this attempt much more than your previous one. It looks much more controlled, one might even say "easy" (surely it wasn't), negative splitting, steady stroke rate and a decent finish sprint. I bet that this time after the row you had the desire to do it again in the near future (other than after your first attempt). And you know now how to pace this one :fswink:

Had my third go last night. Attempt #2 was 2609m at 1:56 pace and the plan was to a) get the pace down to 1:54 and b) beat Dave's pace of 1:52.9 :twisted:

This is how it went:

02mins. / 1:54.9 / 27 / 162
04mins. / 1:54.7 / 28 / 165
06mins. / 1:53.6 / 28 / 171
08mins. / 1:52.1 / 28 / 178
10mins. / 1:47.7 / 31 / 184

Total: 2664m / 1:52.6 / 28

Well, this was fun! 8) After eight minutes I was at 1:53.8 overall pace so goal a) was accomplished. Time to work on goal b) :twisted: The last two minutes were hard but watching the pace go below those 1:52.9 helped a lot :D

Waiting for Dave's and Steve's response now 8)

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Nice one, Grobi! Quite a bit smoother than your first attempt! :fsbgrin:
Grobi wrote:Welcome on the other side of the 2400m mark zoot, well done! I like this attempt much more than your previous one. It looks much more controlled, one might even say "easy" (surely it wasn't), negative splitting, steady stroke rate and a decent finish sprint. I bet that this time after the row you had the desire to do it again in the near future (other than after your first attempt). And you know now how to pace this one :fswink:
Yes. This was almost fun! At no point was I tempted to HD, even though the pace was quicker, overall, than my target from last time. I was well-rested going in, and I did not have a morning lower-body weights routine. I might even have another go, starting off at 2:05 for 4 min, then 2:04 for 4 min. 8)
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

zootMutant wrote:I might even have another go, starting off at 2:05 for 4 min, then 2:04 for 4 min. 8)
Do that and in exactly that manner, we're not even half way through the month! :fswink:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

sander
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by sander »

I also had a go at this one tonight. In order to make it a full training session, I set it up as an interval workout with 10 minute intervals followed by 3 minutes rest. The plan was to do three of them, the first one from a standing start in order to qualify for the CTC, the two others as normal intervals.

The first one, even though it didn't feel too hard, still made me too tired to hold the pace in the second one. And after the second interval I didn't really feel like a third one, so I just paddled that one. Business trips do make you mentally weak.

My goal was to row faster than Plummy (sorry!). I knew I wouldn't be able to beat John Steventon's pace of 1:42.9, so I set off at 1:52, held that for 4 minutes, then 3 minutes at 1:51, 2 minutes at 1:50 and final minute free rate and pace.

First interval in 2727 meters. This resulted in a few lightweights jumping ship. I managed to move Free Spirits II from 20th place to 17th place. Plummy moved to Free Spirits III still on 27th place but with a better score, and RGelissen moved to Free Spirits IV, bringing that boat up from 39th place to 18th place. Free Spirits V and VI are still in the boathouse.

A pace of 1:50.0 and Free Spirits II is yours again, David Plumb!

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Nice row Sander. I also had another go and managed to get over 2,700m (just about) with 2,702. Still not feeling quite right, but pleased I was able to reach my 2,700m target and averaged 1:46.4 for the last 2 minutes to get there.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Nice rows, Sander and Paul!
Grobi wrote:
zootMutant wrote:I might even have another go, starting off at 2:05 for 4 min, then 2:04 for 4 min. 8)
Do that and in exactly that manner, we're not even half way through the month! :fswink:
Had another go today... as demanded by Grobi :lol:
2016-09-15_CTC_10min.jpg
Not exactly according to instructions, but fairly close. Not quite as smooth as last time, but stronger! I'm very happy with this... but Peter is probably going to make me do it over. :lol: