July ctc - 3 X 2813m intervals with 4 mins rest between reps. Slowest counts

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Re: July ctc - 3 X 2813m intervals with 4 mins rest between reps. Slowest counts

Post by Jill »

Bravo Kirsten =D> and much admiration for all our other dear ladies as well. =D> :)

Catch up ' impressive results ' for all our young men. =D> :) I suppose you didn't do too badly ... :fsbgrin: :fswink:

I'm wearing my ' scolds ' hat now. For those of you who were less than impressed with your results, that's understandable, as everyone wants to do what they feel is their best. But ... Try not to be too dissatisfied. Stand in front of a mirror and say to yourself, " I'm good. I take part in a tough sport. Yeah. I'm good. " :D

Class dismissed. :fsgrin: :fswink:
RogerB
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: July ctc - 3 X 2813m intervals with 4 mins rest between reps. Slowest counts

Post by RogerB »

Kirsten, You could suggest another thought for all taking part - "What have you done today that makes you feel proud?"
Sheena
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Sheena »

Well done Jill and Kirstin for getting those rows in. I'm pleased you set a really good time Kirstin it means I'm not tempted to row again
It looks like I now have a lightweight man's seat in boat four!
Still time for that to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by Recess »

Sorry folks, really hoped to have gone faster than 10:12 for my slowest rep. Left this one too late. If I'd done it earlier in the month I would have done it again with a better attack and hopefully got all three at 10:04:00.

10:03.7
10:10.4
10:12.0
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Left until the last minute but managed to complete the slowest in 13:18.4, which was not as bad as I was predicting so that's positive. More positive is that the elbow is not reacting, although the triceps is still stiff. Hopefully a sign I can start up again.
pb times
Recess

Post by Recess »

Great news Stan. Just come back sloooooooowly!! Don't overdo things!
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Great news indeed Stan! I hope the elbow holds up now.

Great session John, well done!

Had my sixth attempt today and decided to aim at Alan's pace of 1:56.6. That would have been 1.6 seconds quicker in pace than my last go and there was a high risk of blowing up before session's end but I tried nevertheless:

1 / 1:56.2 / 10:53.8
2 / 1:56.1 / 10:53.6
3 / 1:56.6 / 10:56.5

The third rep was awful. Wasn't sure I should start it at all but decided that I had invested too much energy already to leave it like that. Pace crept up to 1:58 with 1400m to go when it was time to open the hurt box and I pulled it back to 1:56.6.

Very mixed feelings after the session. On the one hand I was happy to be at a pace which was impossible for me two weeks ago. On the other hand I missed a (temporary) seat in FS III by 0.7 seconds in the final interval. If I only had realised that during the session. Maybe I could have found those 0.7 seconds (they must have been buried really deeply in the hurt box, I was just not didding deep enough :lol: ).
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

This has been a very poor month for me CTC wise. I did an early marker at 10:46.0 and haven't managed to complete another set since then.

Having blown up in the second interval on Friday, I decided to adopt a more sensible approach today and target 1:53 rather than 1:52 pace. Just never felt right and finished the first interval in 10:47, which meant there was no point in carrying on. Did 15 minutes cool down to bring my total meters for the day to just under 8k. Definitely just not there at present.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
jhaveman

Post by jhaveman »

Peter, well done for sticking in there in that final rep =D>
And Paul, don't be too hard on yourself - this CTC seems to have been difficult for a lot of people (myself included). At least the weather has now cooled down which is better for rowing :)
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Grobi wrote:- Great news indeed Stan! I hope the elbow holds up now.

Great session John, well done!

Had my sixth attempt today and decided to aim at Alan's pace of 1:56.6. That would have been 1.6 seconds quicker in pace than my last go and there was a high risk of blowing up before session's end but I tried nevertheless:

1 / 1:56.2 / 10:53.8
2 / 1:56.1 / 10:53.6
3 / 1:56.6 / 10:56.5

The third rep was awful. Wasn't sure I should start it at all but decided that I had invested too much energy already to leave it like that. Pace crept up to 1:58 with 1400m to go when it was time to open the hurt box and I pulled it back to 1:56.6.

Very mixed feelings after the session. On the one hand I was happy to be at a pace which was impossible for me two weeks ago. On the other hand I missed a (temporary) seat in FS III by 0.7 seconds in the final interval. If I only had realised that during the session. Maybe I could have found those 0.7 seconds (they must have been buried really deeply in the hurt box, I was just not didding deep enough
Phew that was close-magnificent effort well done Peter =D>

I had a go too as I saw John Esau knocked me out of Boat 2 by 0.2 secs 10:55.9 to my 10:56.1 grrr

The first 2 were OK but the second did hurt a lot -managed 1:56.3 and 1:56.1 then 1243m into the 3rd the wheels came off and I HD :oops:

I was so annoyed with myself I then did a new session 9 x 1:40 with 20 secs rest hurt a bit :twisted:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Well I must say thank you to Free Spirits and the CTC - since it caused to me log my first significant erg session since July 1... after crashing hard out of Sam's 8 week plan (extension for me of his previous 6 week plan). Maybe I'll share more on Paul's Mojo thread, but being a quiet type, we'll see. :D

Suffice it to say this CTC was the last thing I felt like doing -- still, I targeted a 2:05 pace and prepared to sweat it out. Held near that pacing or better the first couple intervals but by the third, I was happy to still be holding a 2:07.4. Glad it's done, still doing some thinking on where I go from here.

Congratulations to the ladies -- Jill -- I was so excited to read your approach and write up on this CTC. =D> Also well done to Clare, Laura, Gillian, Kirstin!! And Amanda, so happy to see you log this one, and to note that you were enjoying Sam's training.

And the guys - excellent efforts for a hot summer month!!

Cheers!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Sheena

Post by Sheena »

Hi Barbara, really good to see you back and getting the CTC in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Hi Sheena thank you and how did I miss your name along the ladies? #-o You did a great job pacing this one and the 3 week break sounds like it was worth any temporary offset in paces! =D> Glad to see you back and (both of you) rowing also. I'll have to tell Jan about the giant rainbow sprinkle donut I found for my son's birthday recently =P~

August, already, my goodness :shock:

:fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Well done Barbara for getting a good last minute effort in after your break :!: =D> =D>

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Glad to see you made it, Barbara, despite "crashing out". I must admit that when I saw a Barbara popping up in one of the Fitness Matters boats at the end of the month, for a moment I thought you had switched sides! Sorry for that! :fsgrin:

Good news you seem to be injury free again, Stan! You know, there are only three people who have done more CTCs than you across all teams?

Well done to all!
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Sheena

Post by Sheena »

CamiCrew wrote:Hi Sheena thank you and how did I miss your name along the ladies?
No problem Barbara, I ended up with a seat as a light weight man in Boat V so did that include me in your congratulations for the gentlemen :lol: :lol: :lol:
CamiCrew wrote:I'll have to tell Jan about the giant rainbow sprinkle donut I found for my son's birthday recently =P~
Wow, have you got any pictures, Jan is very jealous, we may need a Krispy Kreme shop, oh no, I've just been reminded of the doughnut mould we saw in the shop the other day :shock: