Global Marathon Challenge

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Global Marathon Challenge

Post by zootMutant »

Congratulations to Alan and Martin for getting up early and grabbing some choice spots in the Global Marathon Challenge. =D> =D> =D>

I couldn't sleep and there were no scores recorded, so I thought I'd bag a HM. Of course, by the time I finished 9 other scores had already been posted. #-o

Still, I don't think I'll ever see my name in the top three (in my age group) or the top 10 (overall) again. :lol:

I thought I was ready for this... but that was the most brutal row I've had yet. I paced it about 20 seconds faster than my last HM, but I felt very sluggish, and when I finished I couldn't stand up because of bum pain. I've never felt anything like it on such a short (!) row.

I won't be trying that again without my gel pad. :lol:
Rob C
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Global Marathon Challenge

Post by Rob C »

If you think your backside is sore after a HM, just wait for the feeling when you do the FM next week :D

Meanwhile I've been thinking about my HM for most of the day so far, and keep finding anything else I can do to put it off ....
InlineJinn
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by InlineJinn »

Padding is important. I've done both HMs and FMs, and use a closed-cell 1/2" foam pad wrapped in a dish towel under a gel pad designed for use in a canoe or kayak. Yesterday I got off the C2 every 30 minutes for about 3 minutes of moving & stretching during a FM. Added significantly to my time, but I walked away free of pain. Whatever you do, make sure you try it out a couple times before using it for your HM. Using shorts without any seams under your bum is also helpful.

Good luck!
John B.
63, 5'8" lwt, C2 D PM5, started 1/2015, certified mileage nut but then I found hot yoga but then I hurt my shoulders but then I had surgery and now I can still row and do hot yoga yay!
PJMR
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by PJMR »

Hello,
While we are on the subject....
Very pleased to attempt (and finish) my first FM today.
Was hoping to finish in 3h15m and just sneaked it.
No padding - perhaps because I'm naturally padded.
Interesting experience, but I don't think the FM will become a habit for me.

Stopped for a drink after 22km and (because of sweaty shaking hands) knocked over a pint pot of water.
It made the rest of the row seem OTW!

Normal distances to be resumed later this week.
ATB
Phil
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Another HM today (this time with my gel pad and a towel) -- no problems at all...

... except for setting the PM to 21,094. ](*,) #-o :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Cheers Zoot-well done on your 2nd HM =D> =D>
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

PJMR wrote:Hello,
While we are on the subject....
Very pleased to attempt (and finish) my first FM today.
Was hoping to finish in 3h15m and just sneaked it.
No padding - perhaps because I'm naturally padded.
Interesting experience, but I don't think the FM will become a habit for me.

Stopped for a drink after 22km and (because of sweaty shaking hands) knocked over a pint pot of water.
It made the rest of the row seem OTW!

Normal distances to be resumed later this week.
ATB
Phil
Sorry Phil, I missed your post. Congratulations on your first FM! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

Another HM today... about 4 minutes faster (10 watts more power) than the hard HM that I started this thread with. AHR was around 140.

For some reason I couldn't upload the data from my Suunto heart rate monitor to my laptop. Odd that. The workout is in the monitor, but when I upload it, it comes across as a 10 minute workout. I'd swear I rowed longer than 10 minutes.

The bum pain that I had on Sunday has not returned. When everybody talks about 'bum' pain they seem to mean 'contact-related' pain where the pelvic bones press down on the seat.

What I experienced was completely different. Rather than being located in the gluteus maximus it seems to have been located where the hamstrings dive under the gluteus maximus muscles. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I was sitting too far back on the seat (with bad form) and the front of the seat was cutting into the hamstrings? I don't know.

Anyway, today's row was much smoother, even though it was definitely near my current limit. :P

Cheers,
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Zoot you do realise the challenge is that you only need to row 1 HM or FM in the fortnight? You don't get bonus points for doing as many as is inhumanly possible :fsgrin:
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Rob C wrote:Zoot you do realise the challenge is that you only need to row 1 HM or FM in the fortnight? You don't get bonus points for doing as many as is inhumanly possible :fsgrin:
:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually... I did know that. :fsbgrin:

My plan is to row a HM every other day for a fortnight (for base fitness)... then switch to the Wolverine Plan for 20 weeks... then to Fletcher's Marathon Plan for for 12 weeks (followed by 2 weeks of taper)... culminating in a HM race the second weekend in January (Jan 7th)...

If all goes well, I'll be competing with a weight of around 80 kg... down from 110 kg. :P

That's the plan anyway. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by laying it on the line. [-o<
PJMR
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by PJMR »

Now that's what I call a plan Zoot.
Good Luck and Have Fun,
Phil
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

I never want to do another FM again. At least not this year anyways. :twisted:

I can claim a small PB at 3:19:44, ave 2:22/500, but as that is somewhat slower than my hoped for minimum 2:20 pace, and given the HM was at a 2:08 pace, I'm not happy. Perhaps I shouldn't have stopped for numb bum syndrome so much :(
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Rob C wrote:I never want to do another FM again. At least not this year anyways. :twisted:

I can claim a small PB at 3:19:44, ave 2:22/500, but as that is somewhat slower than my hoped for minimum 2:20 pace, and given the HM was at a 2:08 pace, I'm not happy. Perhaps I shouldn't have stopped for numb bum syndrome so much :(
Well done on completing the FM Rob. =D> =D> =D> I try to do one or two each season, but it's a huge challenge to psyche myself up for it. The numb bum situation is definitely one of the many issues that can arise - cramp, dehydration, exhaustion, boredom, blisters, hunger knock, etc. are among the other perils. Makes me wonder why I ever do one. :fswink: :lol:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Paul Victory wrote:The numb bum situation is definitely one of the many issues that can arise - cramp, dehydration, exhaustion, boredom, blisters, hunger knock, etc. are among the other perils. Makes me wonder why I ever do one. :fswink: :lol:
Rob, I know it's frustrating to not hit the pace you're hoping for, but I think completing a FM is quite an achievement at any pace for exactly the reasons Paul mentions. Very well done.

=D> ^O^ =D> ^O^ =D>

Another HM today... and another increase of about 10 watts. (pace 2:24 => 2:20).

1:38:15.0 -- 2:19.7 -- EPOC 255 -- TE 5.0 :shock:

Today's row was definitely at my current limit. I was huffing and puffing (2 breaths per stroke) from a few minutes into the row, and my heart rate was right at the UT1/AT border for the last 50 min.
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

zootMutant wrote:Another HM today... and another increase of about 10 watts. (pace 2:24 => 2:20).

1:38:15.0 -- 2:19.7 -- EPOC 255 -- TE 5.0 :shock:

Today's row was definitely at my current limit. I was huffing and puffing (2 breaths per stroke) from a few minutes into the row, and my heart rate was right at the UT1/AT border for the last 50 min.
I know it's not what you are trying to achieve, but the number of lengthy rows you are doing in a short space of time may be taking it's toll and your body is telling you it's time to back off a little. May be even a couple of shorter interval row days of say 5x2k with 2 min rests so you go at a different pace, and then see how the HM goes again at the weekend?
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Rob C wrote:I know it's not what you are trying to achieve, but the number of lengthy rows you are doing in a short space of time may be taking it's toll and your body is telling you it's time to back off a little. May be even a couple of shorter interval row days of say 5x2k with 2 min rests so you go at a different pace, and then see how the HM goes again at the weekend?
Rob,

Thanks for your feedback. Feedback is always welcome! Especially when it reinforces nagging thoughts at the back of my mind.

I know all about the importance of rest... I just have a hard time with self-evaluation. :lol: Do I need a rest? Or am I just being lazy? :-k

I took three days rest before yesterday's HM, and I felt quite rested... but the effort was harder than I expected. With a TE of 5.0 I certainly need a rest for my heart as much as my lower back muscles.

So I'll toodle away the rest of the week with some recovery rows and maybe some short intervals later in the week. Next week will be some 2K TTs to establish a baseline for the Wolverine Plan.

Cheers,
flocculus
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by flocculus »

I did it!
I've planned to row at least a couple of marathons this year... but I managed three! It feels great :D
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

flocculus wrote:I did it!
I've planned to row at least a couple of marathons this year... but I managed three!
That's impressive =D>
flocculus wrote: It feels great :D
Until tomorrow, when those muscle aches kick in :fsbgrin: :D
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Well done to everyone who completed the challenge.

I decided it do a HM today, but my heart wasn't really in it and my head was scrambled in a way that only another Tottenham fan would fully understand. :? :evil: :shock:

So I ended up HDing after less than 6k :oops: #-o and I'll try to get back on track over the next few days.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Rob C wrote:
flocculus wrote:I did it!
I've planned to row at least a couple of marathons this year... but I managed three!
That's impressive =D>
I agree. Very impressive! ^O^
Kirstin
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Kirstin »

I snuck a HM in on Saturday. Took 8:51 off my one and only previous HM. Since my previous attempt was dead slow it wasn't hard to improve. :)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Well done Kirstin. Nearly 9 minutes off a HM is a huge improvement. =D> =D> =D>
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Well done, Kristen! =D>

As Paul says, 9 min is huge... even if you were a slacker on your first attempt. :lol:

Paul, I missed the timing of your post. You tried a HM the day after Madchester? Are you psycho? Kudos for giving it a shot... but it sounds a tad ambitious to me... so I hope you don't feel too bad about only turning in a 6k.

Think of it as a 'recovery' row. :lol: