Lets talk about a tough question......

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

I think what Zach is doing is great. I have two Highschoolers. One is a rower (Christine) and we send her to multiple summer camps for rowing and college recruitment. This is a really fantastic sport for kids. It's not just something they can do the rest of their lives (both recreationally and competatively), it is a true sportsman's sport.

What Zach does not yet understand is the the best part of the sport are the people you meet and get to know. These are generally of the sort that are very well educated, gentile and fair minded. Ladys and Gentlemen.

I attended a crew meet that my daughter was rowing in. Taft (her school) verses Choate (the rival school.....thats where JFK and RFK graduated from). A tall, fit gentleman asked me if I knew where the start and finish lines were. The kids row on a lake, so it can be confusing.

Now, I had neverd rowed in my life at that point. I had, however, been a crew parent for a whole year....and I knew everything about the sport (LOL)....and this guy was going to hear it all.

Luckily....about 15 minutes into my disertation the gentleman stopped me and introduced himself as Michael Vespoli....you know....the owner of Vespoli Manufacturing....they are a major manufacturer of Racing Shells.......he did not need my help....just wanted to know where the Start and Finish lines were. WHAT A NICE GUY!

He was the one that pointed out that the quality of the kids that row are very high. And that is true for the entire sport at any age.

What Zach is doing is great.....but the British system.....which for lack of a better term I will call amateur or more amateur....is great as well. Zach will tell you that here in the United States our kids are "pigeon holed" very quickly. Emphasis is on performance and winning from a very young age.

I have an extensive coaching background for younger kids and believe me we don't emphasized being a good sportsman nearly enough. you know...All kids....at all skill levels competing and supporting their team mates....being fair.....a truer essence of sport.

Just look at the Olympics......is it the "True Amateur Sporting Event" it used to be?

Rowing.......is a sport.....that we can all be proud of. Zach down to.....well, even me. I am proud to be a part of it. I am very please that my kids are a part of it.
Derrylad
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Zak or Tricia

Post by Derrylad »

My guess is that it will be Zak or Tricia, They seem to juggle the time to put in regular 20s and 30ks every day. Definately an American no 1 spot. Great to see them metres going on. ( thats a lot of sweat ). Good luck guys.

Rob
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

PSims
True Free Spirit

Stars - every one

Post by PSims »

I'm just really proud to have such awesome athletes on the team in addition to us mortals! Great to see you on the forum as well Zach - and I've just seen your 2K time on CTC (going to have a cry now!)

Tricia - only joking about the Sitathon - you deserve to be top of that one - all the hours you have put in. 8)

Why is the moon getting away? :cry:
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Derrylad
Free Spirit

Zach

Post by Derrylad »

I Totally believe what you do. Your young, fit, no responsibilities and entusiastic. I totally believe you will go sub 6, Seen the picture and you like like a very powerful guy. I wish you all the best. It is a pleasure to watch you rack up them metres. I wish I had the chance at your age. Rowing was never a sport at the schools I went to as a kid ( all rugby or football - soccer ).

Wish you all the best.

Rob ( derrylad )

PS. Awesome time on the CTC
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Lets change the name os this thread to the Zach Ellison Thread....or better yet.....lets start a new one......

What about predictions on the top rowers???

Is there no British or even Empire contenders willing to step up?

Zach won't last forever.....even where he lives spring comes before May.

I think Tricia is the top contender on this side of the pond.

COME ON.......LETS HERE SOME BRAGGING! SOMEONE STICK THERE CHIN OUT!

All in good fun.........
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by webberg »

Empire?
:lol:

Let's face it, Zach is essentially a professional rower.

Richard (who I think may have had an operation recently, in which case Get Well soon), seesm to have a lot of time available.

Most of the rest at the top of the metre board probably have full time jobs and families and careers.

My money's on the Hummingbird though.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
PSims
True Free Spirit

No sweat

Post by PSims »

Ha - I won't have any trouble beating Zach. :lol:

I only have 1M metres to catch up...so that's 10km x 5 days a week in addition to my current 21km in the morning.

....or maybe not.....? :oops:

Perhaps I'll shall just focus on beating his 2k time :oops: :oops:

Errr...I know - back to setting up the STUPIDEST challenges.
I'm good at that.... :twisted:
Paul

ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Ok Tricia.....Everyone is looking to you for some action at the top.....ROW!
BigWaveDave
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by BigWaveDave »

Looks like Concept2 are also backing Tricia - she is their rower of the day picture on the C2 web site today! :D
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

I think she is also the top lady on the Annual Metre Board of C2.
Well done Tricia!

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Tricia B
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Tricia B »

BigWaveDave....thanks for letting me know that I was the C2 rower of the day.....I don't often check the C2 site pics.....I use to before I was a FreeSpirit....now I'm focused on our incredible challenges....

Paul....thank you for noticing my position on the C2 honor board....one of my goals this season was to retain a spot on page one of the 10k+ per day....although it's taking a much higher daily average to stay there........mine is 16k+ with my actual days rowed at 23k+. So much more than I rowed last season.....to be the top lady is pretty neat too....I had not planned on reaching that position....will now have to try and keep it...

and to Scott....I think you are in contention for top rower on our FreeSpirit meter board....I have been watching you climb the meter board too.....you have been consistently rowing a great number of meters everyday.....awesome effort.....

Tricia
the Colibri, Unleash the power of the Free Spirits and Fly

Ultra Distances 2007 season: 6 FM's (with 3 in 3 days) and one 50k

shill

Post by shill »

Well, as I head out to slog through another 20,000 meters or so I notice that Gary has reappeared in a very big way. Congratulations to him. Like Tricia, I'm pretty focused on staying on the C2 page one. The fact that we have so many incredible folks on Free Spirits who also are there is a great motivation every day. Watching Zach, Tricia, the Pauls, Robert, Mike and everyone else put in these incredible 40 and 50,000 meter days is both awe-inspiring and (mildly) demoralizing. I'll just try to do my daily thing and hope that I'm around at the end. Cheers to all.

Scott
webberg

Post by webberg »

Scott, you are way too modest.

You post those monster metres with more regularity than most.

Zach will be in the water season in the Spring and with Richard still missing (Get Well soon) you have a real chance.

Keep it up and happy erging.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I'd second Graham's comment there - Scott - you're doing an amazing job. You're currently holding off the fearsome foursome of Derrylad, Shrek and the 2 Pauls. No mean feat! Great stuff.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
PSims
True Free Spirit

Scott

Post by PSims »

It's all about consistency, Scott.
Your 15km a day, almost every day is incredibly hard to match.
I never do weekends, nor days when I'm on holiday - so that makes it really hard to catch you!

Slow, steady and consistent wins the day!
Paul

PSims
True Free Spirit

Barricks!

Post by PSims »

Looks like we are all wrong then...since the arrival of our new meter monster.

Now...who wants to put money on it today?
There's still 5 months left....what changes the team has seen so far and so much time left eh?
Paul

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

My money is on that Tom Barrick chap. :lol:
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

Mike Channin wrote:My money is on that Tom Barrick chap. :lol:
Nah, at most I'll get to 10MM, depending on whether or not the usual January sickness comes on, and then it'll be closer to 11MM, for the better. That's maybe 5th place overall on the boards. Either way, I'm still going with Tricia on this one. She's got a drive that is unmerciful!

Placing a secondary bet on Nigel coming back on April 30th and sending in a good 20MM, last minute. :shock: :wink:
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon