2016 weight loss thread

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

2016 weight loss thread

Post by Paul Victory »

As I am currently cast ashore and have just returned from a long holiday, I thought I should start a new weight loss thread for 2016. My target zone is sub 95kg, with 95-99.9 the "amber" zone and immediate sanctions (no chocolate, biscuits, cheese or wine :shock: ) if I reach 100kg or more.

As expected, first weigh in showed a gain since the beginning of the year, but it's not as bad as I had feared. Last couple of days have been difficult with severe attacks of the munchies at regular interval, but I'm ready to turn over a new leaf so that I don't do too much damage before I'm able to return to the erg.

Paul V

Date_________Mass (KG)_______Weekly change_______Total change
31/12/15_______94.0___________n/a__________________n/a
29/02/16_______96.1___________+2.1_________________+2.1
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Rob C
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: 2016 weight loss thread

Post by Rob C »

Oh dear. If you keep stepping over that erg in the middle of your living room rather than actually using it, the consequences are somewhat predictable.

March 2015 - 17st 12lb (113kg)
Autumn 2015 - 17st 3lb (109kg)
March 2016 - 17st 12lb (113kg) - back to square one :roll:

So having ignored this thing for a long while 1st March arrives and it's all in for the Mud Season Madness Challenge time. So far 10k a day is manageable. Only trouble is as exercise increases, so does my appetite, so I'm not sure weight loss will be realised. A bit of a problem as I'm supposed to be doing a windsurfing break in May, and at the present time I'll need a board the size of an aircraft carrier to avoid it sinking.
Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Rob C wrote:Oh dear. If you keep stepping over that erg in the middle of your living room rather than actually using it, the consequences are somewhat predictable.

Autumn 2015 - 17st 3lb (109kg)
March 2016 - 17st 12lb (113kg) - back to square one

Rob, a setback after all your hard work but it doesn’t have to be a permanent situation - you lost 9 pounds over a period of about 8 months, so you know that it’s possible to lose that weight again. :fssmile:
Rob C wrote:So having ignored this thing for a long while 1st March arrives and it's all in for the Mud Season Madness Challenge time. So far 10k a day is manageable.
Great going with the Mud Season Madness challenge - you're not obliged to do any more than the 10,000 metres.
Rob C wrote:Only trouble is as exercise increases, so does my appetite,
I don’t know if you read John’s blog but his January 12th post, ( page 3 ) was about a BBC2 programme that he was editing, called Trust Me I’m A Doctor - When To Eat and Exercise. If you never saw the broadcast, then briefly, trials found that in general, for fat burning purposes, it was better for men to eat after exercise. I didn’t have chance to watch the programme but you can check it out on the Beeb’s Trust Me I’m A Doctor website.

You must be a strong and proficient swimmer - when the hate part of your love/ hate relationship with the erg kicks in, is there somewhere convenient, that would fit in with your time or routine, where you can go swimming for exercise?
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Jill wrote:Rob, a setback after all your hard work but it doesn’t have to be a permanent situation - you lost 9 pounds over a period of about 8 months, so you know that it’s possible to lose that weight again. :fssmile:
9lbs over 8 months is a rather pathetic rate of loss, considering I'm far too blubbery.
Jill wrote:I don’t know if you read John’s blog but his January 12th post, ( page 3 ) was about a BBC2 programme that he was editing, called Trust Me I’m A Doctor - When To Eat and Exercise. If you never saw the broadcast, then briefly, trials found that in general, for fat burning purposes, it was better for men to eat after exercise. I didn’t have chance to watch the programme but you can check it out on the Beeb’s Trust Me I’m A Doctor website.
I do tend to eat after exercise, if only because doing so before hand makes for a rather uncomfortable experience. Haven't seen the blog, but I'm going to have to do some proper research if I am to really get my weight under control, as may present ad-hoc methods aren't enough.
Jill wrote:You must be a strong and proficient swimmer - when the hate part of your love/ hate relationship with the erg kicks in, is there somewhere convenient, that would fit in with your time or routine, where you can go swimming for exercise?
There are pools, but it gets time consuming to get to and from them, and also gets expensive quite quickly.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Still not able to row "full on" and twelve days in the Algarve = more weight gain. Definitely on a slippery slope at present. #-o :oops:

Paul V

26/03/16_______96.6___________+0.5_________________+2.6
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

Paul Victory wrote:Still not able to row "full on" and twelve days in the Algarve = more weight gain. Definitely on a slippery slope at present. #-o :oops:
The war on weight loss is often times won on the dietary front much more effectively than the exercise front. Neither is a pushover, but ingestion can easily overpower exercise.
Duckrunner
True Free Spirit

Post by Duckrunner »

02-01-15======== 101.6KGS (+ .8kgs) Total loss to date 9.6kgs
10-01-15======== 99.1KGS (- 2.5kgs) Total loss to date 12.1kgs
27-03-15========106.1KGS (+7kgs) OMG !!!
03-05-15========106.4KGS (+7.4kg)

This was my last weigh in last year. At that time i had a run of bad luck with serious chest infection and a bad bite from a Rottweiler in the line of duty. Weight ballooned to 110 Kgs in August. I retired from work at Christmas and have been rowing fairly strenuously since about November. I have not bothered to get on any scales before now, so it was pleasing to see this morning that i was back down to 102Kgs :D

28-03-15====== 102 kgs. Target weight is 95 kgs.
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Duck -- almost 18 pounds in about 16 weeks? That is seriously good improvement. Well done, indeed! =D> =D> =D>
Draggon wrote:
Paul Victory wrote:Still not able to row "full on" and twelve days in the Algarve = more weight gain. Definitely on a slippery slope at present. #-o :oops:
The war on weight loss is often times won on the dietary front much more effectively than the exercise front. Neither is a pushover, but ingestion can easily overpower exercise.
I remember your weight from a couple of years ago, Paul, and I am impressed with your progress. But you are right, it's a slippery slope. We've both been there. All I can suggest is to agree with Ron, if you throttle back the rowing, you have to throttle back on the food. Myself, I have a weakness for chocolate. When I'm not paying attention to what I eat I can easily eat 1/2 pound of chocolate in a day. And my current weight shows it. :shock:

I did a preliminary weigh-in on Mar 17:

Weight = 239.8 lbs ... 33.1% Fat ... BMI = 32.6

Not too happy about that, but I needed a benchmark. I've dropped about 1 lb so far. :fsbgrin:
Duckrunner
True Free Spirit

Post by Duckrunner »

Thanks Zoot. It's helped by not having to work!! Eating well and healthy. Time to row. I am going into a flat patch now as I prepare to fly home to UK for the summer. Going through Las Vegas for a few days. Lost Wages and weight gain. Hard to be good there. Hoping that I don't succumb to much.

Chris
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

A positive result for a change:

April 2015 - 17st - 5lb (110kg) - 1/2 stone (3kg) \:D/

I'll admit to being worn out, and hungry - at least 10k row a day during March, and starving myself in the process isn't going to be sustainable. This is the best monthly loss I've achieved that I can remember. Perhaps I should celebrate with curry and beer tonight?
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Rob C wrote:Only trouble is as exercise increases, so does my appetite, so I'm not sure weight loss will be realised. A bit of a problem as I'm supposed to be doing a windsurfing break in May, and at the present time I'll need a board the size of an aircraft carrier to avoid it sinking.
Rob C wrote:A positive result for a change:

April 2015 - 17st - 5lb (110kg) - 1/2 stone (3kg) \:D/

I'll admit to being worn out, and hungry - at least 10k row a day during March, and starving myself in the process isn't going to be sustainable. This is the best monthly loss I've achieved that I can remember. Perhaps I should celebrate with curry and beer tonight?
Well done, Rob! A bit more than you expected, wasn't it? =D>

Why do you feel that this isn't sustainable? (I not disagreeing with you, I'm just interested in your thoughts.) Is it the 10k/day? The feeling hungry? The time expenditure? Do you have other things you'd rather be doing? Are you craving foods that you've denied yourself the past month? By the way, how much food are you eating? (Do you have any idea of your caloric intake?)

Just curious. Don't feel like you have to answer if you don't want to. I'm not trying to pry; just trying to figure out a way that we can make it sustainable!

Keep in mind, in one-month of concentrated effort you lost almost as much in 9 months previously. That is no small achievement. ^O^

Cheers,
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

That's a great effort to lose 1/2 stone in one month Rob! I would say though that it is better to lose weight slowly and steadily otherwise you may risk burnout and not achieve your goals. I managed to lose 3 stone averaging about 1 pound a week and found this quite easy once I'd got used to slightly more exercise and slightly fewer calories. With all the rowing I'm doing my weight has now been steady at 12-10 for nearly 6 months although my diet could certainly be better so in an attempt to get down to lightweight and lose the remaining belly fat have given up beer and chocolate for the time being.
Felton H
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

That effort is probably not sustainable as it's purgatory. I do think I risk burn out. Physically I ache a lot now, and it's a bit more than just knowing the muscle groups are being worked. Indeed despite trying a lot to stretch out, my back was that stiff earlier this week I knew I'd injure myself if I didn't seek help, and even the sport's massager was a bit aghast demanding to see me again.

Diet wise, I do like to drink beer and wine, both far too many dead calories (if I open a bottle of red it will all get drunk). the same with food, I'm crap at cooking, so it's a stab it and wait for it to go ping meal or speeddial #1 to the local takeaway. I've been rigidly cutting out some of the crap like crisps, snacks and trying to keep a lid on my calorie intake, but these sort of lifestyle things are very tedious. Sooner or later I will succumb to temptation.

It also doesn't help that on days like today, those few who were still left in the office with the majority skiving after the Easter break, decided they were ordering in pizza for lunch, or that someone decides to bring in cakes on some whimsical excuse, all to put temptation in my way.

At the moment I'm motivated, especially as I can see there have been real results. Things like the mud season challenge helped as it gave me a goal that I knew was for a limited time only, but one month is enough, especially as some days finding that hour was hard work with other things I also should be doing. Tonight I'm looking forward to the first night of not getting on the erg in 31 days.
Jill

Post by Jill »

Rob, that's excellent. =D>

I won't pass any further comment - I know, you're thinking, " That's a relief [-o< :lol: " Anyway, you have the benefit of Zoot and Felton's wise words. :)
Jill

Post by Jill »

Rob you beat me to it with your last post. I was commenting on your weight loss, not the purgatory.
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Caratacus wrote:have given up beer and chocolate for the time being.
Blasphemy!!
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Rob,

You've got a lot of challenging obstacles there and I can see that staying motivated is not going to be easy. We can help with some of it, but not all of it.

The main reason I was asking about calories was that you said you were 'starving' yourself. I didn't know whether you meant that metaphorically or literally (e.g., if you had dropped your calories to 600-800 per day to increase your weight loss). The main problem with that is that your body goes into 'starvation' mode. It holds on to all the calories it can (preferring to cannibalize disused muscle tissue rather than burning fat). And then, the next time you exceed your caloric requirements, your body turns the excess calories into fat. It gets to the point where you can turn anything into fat. (I happen to be one of the few who can turn sunlight into fat. True. 8-[ ) The result is that you regain the weight you lost... but you now have a higher percentage of body fat. Not what you want. That's why Caratacus recommended 1 pound per week.

But it sounds like you know this and your main challenges are motivation and logistical.

I've been thinking about motivation a lot this past week.

One month ago, the thought of doing any physical exercise filled me with anxiety and made me slightly nauseous. Now, I can't imagine a life without exercise. How did my mind get so twisted around? I've been here before. I know that a few rough weeks at work, some car trouble, and a computer crash will throw me back into my old behaviour patterns.

So what do we do? If I had any long-range solutions, I wouldn't weigh 109 kg right now. :roll:

But I can share some short-term insights.

Our brains are obviously in control. They can make us do things we'd really rather not. But sometimes our brains slip... when we're tired... or hungry... or irritable... or have too many things to do. When that happens the brain sort of takes a rest and we revert to 'default' behaviour. In those circumstances the perceived results (consequences) of our actions can have a much greater impact than our conscious thoughts.

The most powerful driving force is generated when the perceived consequences are Positive, Certain, and Soon. The least powerful force is generated when the perceived consequences are Not Positive, Not Certain, and Not Soon.

Here's a chart

Code: Select all

Strongest          Positive           Certain          Soon

Stronger           Positive           Certain          Not Soon
                   Positive           Not Certain      Soon
                   Not Positive       Certain          Soon

Weaker             Positive           Not Certain      Not Soon
                   Not Positive       Not Certain      Soon
                   Not Positive       Certain          Soon

Weakest            Not Positive       Not Certain      Not Soon

Let's apply that.

Rowing will increase your health, that's positive. But it won't happen today, and it's not really certain that it will happen at all (you could be injured, instead). Positive, Not Certain, Not Soon = Weaker

Meanwhile, taking the night off and eating curry and beer: Positive, Certain, Soon = Strongest! =P~

I know what you're thinking: zoot took a dozen paragraphs to tell me I'd have more fun eating curry and drinking beer than rowing? How whacked is he? :lol:

Bear with me. We need to find a way to move rowing from 'weaker' to 'stronger' to 'strongest'. Personally, I think that's what all those rowing plans are about. (Pete Plan, Wolverine Plan, C2 Interactive Plan, Fletcher's Marathon Plan, C2 Weight Loss Plan, etc... even Sam's plan, but since it's super-secret nobody really knows). That's what Row Pro is all about. That's what the Forum is all about.

All of these plans/activities/gimmicks are ways to take something that is inherently long-term and make it more immediate and to make the results more positive. Most of the plans are structured so you will see improvements (even if very small) on a week-to-week basis. And even if you've a bad day of rowing you can come here and tell us about it. We will commiserate. And so help to turn a negative workout into something positive, and, hopefully, maintain your motivation momentum.

A few weeks ago, I 'blocked out' time on my calendar to spend rowing. Now I realize I need to block out time to spend on the forum, too. Because the social aspect of rowing is the glue that will bind my day-to-day actions with my long-term plans.

The same may be true for you, too. :-k

Cheers,
zoot
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

zootMutant wrote:I did a preliminary weigh-in on Mar 17:

Weight = 239.8 lbs ... 33.1% Fat ... BMI = 32.6

Not too happy about that, but I needed a benchmark. I've dropped about 1 lb so far. :fsbgrin:
April 1st
Weight = 237.7 lbs ... 32.5% Fat ... BMI = 32.3

I think the % Fat reading on my scale fluctuates wildly, so + or - 0.5% is probably not significant.

Cheers,
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

zootMutant wrote:Now I realize I need to block out time to spend on the forum, too. Because the social aspect of rowing is the glue that will bind my day-to-day actions with my long-term plans.
That is true for me, and I'm not an especially social person. You guys - all of you that post here - continue to motivate me just by being engaged in the same activity I am and reporting your successes and challenges.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Marginal improvement this week.

Paul V

03/04/16_______96.4___________-0.2_________________+2.4
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Thanks for the in-depth psychiatric analysis of weight loss :fssmile:

Ever since my 20s I've gradually added weight, A slow process at first then the real beer gut showed itself by my 40s, and it's been downhill from there. Never a sporty, active person, sitting in front of the TV is my default. I'm almost surprised that I get on the rower, but it's never an invigorating process that means I come back for more. I have to make a very serious effort to want to do it, as I'd much prefer not to. Motivation is a problem.

I accept too rapid weight loss is not good. Most of these fad diets don't work as in the 2-3 weeks they operate they only really change moisture retention in the body, and aren't really getting at reducing those excess fat cells.

There is plenty of, often contradictory, information on the net. On balance, as far as I can tell, with an exercise based regime, a weight loss of 1-2lb (up to 1KG) a week, for someone well above a normal weight, should be reasonable. More than that may become unhealthy. As you get closer to a normal weight the rate of weight loss will proportionately decrease.

For me I've been trying to cut back on food and drink intake, and whilst I joke about starvation, it's not really that bad, and indeed some days many would consider I binge. Indeed this weekend has been very bad. But a good day is really only a breakfast of juice and cereal, lunch of a sandwich or supermarket pasta salad thingy, and evening meal of a stab it and ping ready "healthy" meal (<500cals). So it's 2 or three days a week of being very very good and other days of letting my (non existent) hair down undoing a lot of the goodness.

This time round I seem to have found a balance of reduced food and exercise that for a change has given some motivation by actually showing a result on the scales. I'll make hay while the sun shines, but in my heart I'm worried my motivation will soon dissipate.

Edit corrected typo
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Dropped 1.3 kgs since my last weigh in and almost back into the 'green' zone. The fact that I haven't had a drink in over a week due to being on antibiotics for a tooth abscess is entirely coincidental. :^o

Paul V

17/04/16_______95.1___________-1.3_________________+1.1
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Rob -- you seem to be well-grounded in the basics. It seems like the hardest part is getting on the dang rower! Have you thought about RowPro? I'm not using it, but I've heard from many people that it can be a socializing/motivating force which helps them exercise even when they don't really want to. Just a thought. :-k

Paul -- well done, but now with your injuries and slower pace, it's time to take a hard look at those calories. Otherwise you'll be right back here is 6 months! :(

I've made steady progress this month. :P

I've lost 8.3 lbs... 1.25" off my waist... and .75" off my hips.

My target is 1.5-2.0 pounds per week, but the first week I lost 2.6 pounds because I sadly underestimated my basic calorie needs. I bumped that up and in the following weeks I lost: 1.7, 1.7, 1.6.

So overall, very happy. Now, if I can stay injury-free... [-o<
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

That's a nice drop, and some good other stats Zoot =D>

Meanwhile it would appear March wasn't a one off. I've eased back just a tad, probably as I rowed a bit less, and also haven't been quite so restrictive on the calories, but still moved in the right direction. What's equally encouraging is that others have commented that I've lost weight which adds to the motivation to keep on:

March 2016 - 17st 12lb (113kg)
April 2016 - 17st 5lb (110kg) - 1/2 stone (3kg)
May 2016 - 16st 13lb (107.5kg) -6lb (2.7kg) - And psychologically it's 16 not 17stone :D
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I'm afraid I've slid back into old bad habits of eating too much junk and drinking too much wine. Even though I've been training fairly hard on the Fitness Matters plan (although not quite as much volume as previously), it's proof of the old adage that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. The main thing I need to do is to stop buying chocolate - if it's not in the house, then I can't eat it. :roll: #-o :lol:

Paul V

17/04/16_______95.1___________-1.3_________________+1.1
12/05/16_______96.0___________+0.9_________________+2.0