2016 weight loss thread

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Re: 2016 weight loss thread

Post by zootMutant »

Jill -- didn't I see a post from you here? About minding the mindfulness? Or did I imagine it? :oops:

Ian -- well done with the million meters! =D>

J-Dog -- you ain't got to post nothing! If you had a bad month, pick yourself up, dust off your jeans, take a deep breath, create a new marker, and start from wherever you happen to be. Setbacks happen all the time; no need to be embarrassed. (And no need to share anything you don't want to share.) :fsbgrin:

==========

A neutral week for me. No rowing or exercising due to injuries. No weight loss... no weight gain. Frustrated by inactivity, but holding my own and not backsliding. :P

Cheers,
Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

zootMutant wrote:Jill -- didn't I see a post from you here? About minding the mindfulness? Or did I imagine it?
Apologies Zoot, no, you weren't imagining things, I did delete my previous post - to be honest, I didn't think that anyone would notice. i didn't allow for Hawkeye Zoot. :fsbgrin: :fswink:

I said something along the lines that as Rob could give a masterclass in self-awareness, it was difficult to think of something to help get him motivated and back on track again. Then I remembered that when I met Rob at Madchester this year, he said how pleased and motivated he was by the complimentary remarks that people were making about his weight loss. A positive thing for him to bear in mind I thought.

I also said that since losing weight, although I hadn't put any back on, after seeing myself in some recent photos, ( nothing wrong with them but I thought I looked a bit podgy, ) I had decided to try and lose a further 7 pounds, which I hope to achieve before the end of January.

Don't worry, I have no intention of poking my nose into this thread although I do still like to read it and cheer you all on. Keep going everyone. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your elbow and I hope that it won't be too long before you feel that you have the full use of it again. :)
J-Dog
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by J-Dog »

Zoot+,
Apologies. Been away on hols with no scales, no erg, and lots of food and wine.

Got back late last night.

Checked this morning and I'm 13st 12lbs, so back up a pound over the two weeks.

Lots of travelling this week, but I'm hoping to get a 10k in at some point.

Well done to everyone who's making progress!

J-Dog
58 yrs 91 kg 5' 10" BMI 28.7
Lifetime metres: 901,463
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

I'm dipping in and out of my weight target zone - which is a happy place to be given that this means I've lost around a stone over 8 months. Looking forward to the next fortnight (aided by a last potential ctc 10km attempt).
Well done to everyone who's making progress!
- hear hear!
J-Dog

Post by J-Dog »

Slight cheat (just finished a 10k row) but now at 13st 10lbs, just so lost 2 pounds after the excess of holidays.

Still need to lose a pound a week to hit 13 stone by Chrimbo.

J-Dog
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

My weight continues to hover around target, and the pincers/measuring tape will be out this weekend for a double check…

As a slight musing, so please feel free to skip the next bit, this week marks the end of my first cycle through a Pete Plan. This has taught me a number of things:

The monitor on the waterrower is rubbish
Well, not tear it off and ignore rubbish but it doesn’t seem to be desperately useful at displaying 500m split averages (at least not as readily as a C2), and without various cables I can’t get data off the blasted thing – no internal memory for times that I can see compounds the issue. As such, I’ve been driven to having a google sheets spreadsheet (which I can shove in times for various splits for the interval rows for Pete) and an excel sheet to then calculate actual averages at leisure.

Leaving aside the first week, I have improved
My 600m x10 interval split is down a second on average (between week 7 and 12) while my 7km time has reduced by around 2.5 minutes (between week 3 and 11), and I think I can do more. I’m becoming steadily convinced that having a number (or in the CTC a name) to aim at is genuinely helpful and motivational in a way I didn’t expect.

More to the point your generous advice and comments has been a real bonus – thanks!
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Jill wrote:Don't worry, I have no intention of poking my nose into this thread although I do still like to read it and cheer you all on. Keep going everyone. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your elbow and I hope that it won't be too long before you feel that you have the full use of it again. :)
Jill -- If you think anyone here will be annoyed at 'poking your nose in' you are being very silly. Your thoughts are always welcome! :fsbgrin: Hope you're making steady progress towards your January goal! I saw a sports doctor about my elbow; she prescribed 'relative rest' and stretching. Within a week it started to feel much better. That's when I noticed two additional tendons in the 'elbow area' were troubling me. I'm sure the same prescription applies... but I'm having trouble figuring out how to stretch them. :oops: If I can't figure it out this week... and they show no improvement... then back I go. #-o
J-Dog wrote:... so lost 2 pounds after the excess of holidays.

Still need to lose a pound a week to hit 13 stone by Chrimbo.
J-Dog -- Well done! =D> Slow and steady gets the worm!
Ian Bee wrote:I'm dipping in and out of my weight target zone...
Ian Bee wrote:My 600m x10 interval split is down a second on average (between week 7 and 12) while my 7km time has reduced by around 2.5 minutes (between week 3 and 11), and I think I can do more.
Ian -- Excellent! 2.5 min off a 7k is wonderful! There is a lot more to come, I'm sure. ^O^

===================

A mixed month for me. My elbow is keeping me from exercising at the intensity I'd like, so I've moved into a 'maintenance mode' where I'm focussed on food choices and getting 'extra' walking and hiking when I can.
Date Pounds Kg Waist " Hips " Mar 17 239.8 109.0 46.50 43.50 Apr 01 237.7 108.0 46.25 42.75 May 01 229.3 104.2 45.00 42.00 ~~~ Aug 01 228.5 103.9 44.75 42.00 Sep 01 218.2 99.2 43.25 41.25 Oct 01 211.2 95.9 42.25 40.50 Nov 01 209.1 95.0 41.75 40.50
Very happy not to be backsliding. To me this means that I can maintain my weight through healthy food choices (which are sometimes not easy) even when I can't exercise as much as I'd like. :P

Cheers,
zoot
J-Dog

Post by J-Dog »

I've been failing at this. 13st 11lbs now, so basically back to where I was ages ago.

Evening snacks and not enough exercise have been my failings.

Well done, Zoot, for continuous progress!

J-Dog
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

J-Dog wrote:Well done, Zoot, for continuous progress!
Thanks! I'm very happy with my progress. :fsbgrin:
J-Dog wrote:I've been failing at this. 13st 11lbs now, so basically back to where I was ages ago. Evening snacks and not enough exercise have been my failings.
Well... you might not be able to make your Christmas goal, but there is still time to make some progress if you put your mind to it. :P
Duckrunner
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Duckrunner »

Duckrunner wrote:106.8 kg. So up a bit from first weigh in i august. Rowing going well eating is under control and healthy and no alcohol for a month. I expect a significant drop soon.
Keep going guys gals it's a a fickle old game losing weight. But stick at the basics exercise good food no booze and rest and it usually works.
Phew where do I start, well i suppose weight first currently 101.8 kgs. Rowing was going well and on track for my 95kgs for Christmas. Then in late October i was knocked off my mountain Bike by a driver reversing out of a parking space. It was so quick between seeing reversing lights going on and me swerving i caught my left foot in the toe strap and with no leg to support fell off left onto my shoulder. Long story short no bones broken but a rotary cuff injury which stopped the rowing. I was able to walk and the house i was housesitting in was on a beach so i have walked since then in very pleasant surroundings. Not getting up to the same sweat rate as a row i decided to eat less and no short cuts. So salad chicken and fish fruit and no alcohol with lots of water. It has worked well and i have enjoyed being away from the erg for a while.

House owners returned and liked the look of my erg and as it was for sale bought it. I should explain i am relocating back to the UK which means i will only a few months of the year in NZ so did not want the rower sitting idle for several months of the year. I have a model D back in the UK so not giving up the faith, although have looked seriously at a ski erg. I have sold Free Spirits to the new owners of the erg so hoping to see a couple more New Zealand flags on the meter board soon.

So i am where i am, flight booked back to UK on the 28th December still unable to row and heading for the back end of a UK Christmas and all the edible delights that brings. Plus a couple of beers. TBH i dont want to do to much damage to my weight loss as its so close to going under 100 kgs. Anyway thats me folks.

Well done all your losers keep at it.

Chris
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Duck!

Terribly sorry to hear about the torn rotator cuff, but it could have been much, much worse, so I'm thankful you're still in one piece.

Hold steady -- exercise when you can and keep a tight grip on those holiday binges and you'll push through into January, ready to row and to make more progress toward 95 kgs!

Cheers,
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

First time I've seen sub-205 lbs (93 kg) since 2011! Blood pressure stable at 109/67 (down from 134/66 in July). :P

Blood test results on Monday... weigh-in next week.

Now if I can just avoid eating too much in the next few days... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

That's brilliant news, well done on the 5-year SB and on the blood pressure as well! =D>

Avoiding eating too much at Thanksgiving surely is difficult. Will you be home so you'll have access to your erg or are you visiting family (take the erg with you in that case :lol: )
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Chris great to hear from you sorry about your MB accident.

I keep off bikes of any sort nowadays having read some of the horror stories and had many near misses myself when I was training for Triathlons around 12 years ago.

Well done on the new regime and hope to see you back on the erg when back in Blighty.

Zoot-amazing progress well done =D> ^O^

You are nearing my weight so I need to get a move on-mind you 10 HMs in 2 weeks has helped me lose quite a bit a bit-3kg so far :shock:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

strider77 wrote:10 HMs in 2 weeks has helped me lose quite a bit a bit-3kg so far :shock:
=D> (and a little bit of :shock: ).

I've been reading with increasing admiration the numbers of HMs being completed. Fantastic efforts there, but the max distance I've covered on a C2 is 16.7km in 1hr 15min (even though that was at a pedestrian pace, my mind was in a very odd place at the end of that row :? ).

Well done to the "loosers", and get well to the injured.
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Cheers Ian, go one you know you want to do one :lol:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Got my blood tests back from the lab.

I'm stunned. :shock:
Test Jul 20 Nov 20 Triglycerides 210 68 Cholesterol 187 145 LDL Cholesterol 125 86 HDL Cholesterol 36 45 non-LDL Cholesterol 151 101 LDL/HDL Ratio 3.47 1.95 Chol/HDL Ratio 5.19 3.30
Very, very happy. \:D/
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

GREAT improvement zoot!!! Congratulations!
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Not ashamed to admit google assisted my comprehension, but that really is a fantastic improvement Zoot. You really should be proud.
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Thanks Tako and Ian!

I am very pleased. Coronary heart disease (and its markers: high blood pressure, high triglycerides, and high cholesterol) responds very well to diet and lifestyle changes. According to my doctor, only about 15% of people who try, manage to change their diet and lifestyle, and the rest require drugs to manage the disease. While I was basking in the glow of his praise, I kept reminding myself: "Don't get cocky. You haven't had a serious injury this year... you haven't had a nasty cold that's stuck in your throat for 6 weeks... you haven't had a deadline at work that's caused you to work 8, 80-hr weeks in a row... So give it a year. If you're still doing well in August, then you can feel a little pride. Until then, keep your head down and keep working."

Still, it's very nice to see that my efforts are showing results! \:D/

===================
Date Pounds Kg Waist " Hips " Feb 14 243.1 110.5 Mar 17 239.8 109.0 46.50 43.50 Apr 01 237.7 108.0 46.25 42.75 May 01 229.3 104.2 45.00 42.00 ~~~ Aug 01 228.5 103.9 44.75 42.00 Sep 01 218.2 99.2 43.25 41.25 Oct 01 211.2 95.9 42.25 40.50 Nov 01 209.1 95.0 41.75 40.50 Dec 01 204.1 92.8 41.25 40.25
Managed to coast through Thanksgiving due to a HM and an 8-mile walk along the beach in the rain! Oddly, no one else was around. :shock:

Slow and steady. :P

Cheers,
zoot
Last edited by zootMutant on Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Zoot, many pounds lost + many health benefits gained … Definitely the right way round to do things. Many more kudos to be awarded to you for all your hard work, so bask in the glow of your doctor’s praise for a little bit longer because you’ve earned it. =D> :D

As for my latest weight loss challenge Zoot, I confess to a couple of false starts, due I think, to the fact that I’m not being driven by necessity. :oops:

I have been somewhat slapdash in my approach and there have been far too many “ Why are you doing this? and “ Do you really need to? “ [-X I am now back on the righteous path, although I think an extented deadline might be needed … :oops: :roll: :lol: At least I haven’t put on any extra pounds and I’m still at my ‘ Happy Weight ‘. :D

Chris, it’s a good job that you are one tough RM and able to cope well with another nasty injury. Great resolve in keeping up the exercise by walking and by sticking to a healthy diet. =D> :D Blighty awaits your return. :)

I admire you all, =D> :D so keep going everyone and if you have days when you feel despondent or dissatisfied about your progress, then do your best to ‘ tread water ‘ until you can get yourselves back into the right frame of mind in order to continue.

If anyone has any helpful hints on how to cope with comfort eating, then please post your wisdom here.

Now … I wonder how that young Mr Victory is getting on? :)
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Jill wrote:If anyone has any helpful hints on how to cope with comfort eating, then please post your wisdom here.
Attachments
puppy.jpg
puppy.jpg (65.83 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Jill wrote:Zoot, many pounds lost + many health benefits gained … Definitely the right way round to do things. Many more kudos to be awarded to you for all your hard work, so bask in the glow of your doctor’s praise for a little bit longer because you’ve earned it. =D> :D
Thanks! :P
Jill wrote:If anyone has any helpful hints on how to cope with comfort eating, then please post your wisdom here.
Is this what you had in mind?
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Congratulations on the weight loss Zoot. That's an interesting article you linked. I've become prone to binge eating during my recent hiatus from rowing and my weight has shot up to 103.3 kgs as of this morning. :oops: #-o I'm on something of a slippery slope at present, but I think the first stage of dealing with it is acknowledging that I've gone off the rails a bit. I'm going to start posting more regularly on this thread and hopefully that will help to keep me more 'honest'. The other thing I need to do straight away is to stop buying junk - once it's in the house I'll eat it, if it's not there, it requires a bit more effort to overeat.

Anyway, the updated table is below. :oops:

Paul V

Date_________Mass (KG)_______Weekly change_______Total change
31/12/15_______94.0___________n/a__________________n/a
29/02/16_______96.1___________+2.1_________________+2.1
26/03/16_______96.6___________+0.5_________________+2.6
03/04/16_______96.4___________-0.2_________________+2.4
17/04/16_______95.1___________-1.3_________________+1.1
12/05/16_______96.0___________+0.9_________________+2.0
18/06/16_______96.2___________+0.2_________________+2.2
25/07/16_______99.8 :oops: __________+3.6_________________+5.8
07/08/16_______99.4__________-0.4_________________+5.4
20/08/16_______98.9__________-0.5_________________+4.9
29/08/16_______100.6 :oops: :oops: :oops:__________+1.7_________________+6.6
04/09/16_______100.5 :oops: __________-0.1_________________+6.5
24/09/16_______99.3_________-1.2_________________+5.3
05/12/16_______103.3 :oops: :oops: :oops:__________+4.0_________________+9.3
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Duckrunner
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Duckrunner »

Hi olds just want to say thanks to Jill for your constant support.
Zoom excellent stats from blood tests. Your right not to complacent. I am the example shoulder still unusable so probably none rowing now until after Christmas.

Thanks Strider I am inclined to agree about bike. I am fairly confident and competent but there are some serious Dawk Drivers out there. And we do not have a traffic problem in NZ.

Paul keep going mate I always admire your tenacity. You know yourself so well. You know the pitfalls and often fall down them :D but your honesty keeps you on track. Good man.

Take care folks

Chris
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.