Skierg and the meterboard

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Juergie
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Skierg and the meterboard

Post by Juergie »

Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying a Skierg. And I was wondering how the Free Spirits feel about meters logged on a Skierg.

If I log them on the concept2 logbook, will they automatically be added to my "rowed" meters here on the Free Spirits meterboard?

If so, is this being frowned upon, since this is a rowing club?
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Skierg and the meterboard

Post by plummy »

Hi Juergie,

You are correct in your suspicions that Skierg metres don't count towards the metreboard total (unless I missed/forgot a change in acceptance). I'm pretty sure it is written somewhere that the metres should be done on a Concept 2 ergo. We have had an issue in that on the water metres are all lumped in with C2 metres as Concept 2 changed the way they recorded them in their software (I think this is still the case??)

"This is the home page for Free Spirits, the virtual rowing team with a vibrant and supportive forum for anyone mad enough to use the Concept 2 rowing machine. If you want to learn more about us, how to join etc, please go to the WELCOME to New Members thread in the forum or if you like to read up on things then there is a FAQ section, but here is a summary:
Free (as in liberated and gratis) Spirits is a fairly random grouping of people of all ages who train using the Concept 2 rowing machine. "
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Ok, couldn't resist and bought a Skierg. Today I did my first workout and uploaded it to the concept2 logbook. It showed up there as skierg workout.

Full disclosure: It also was added to my daily meters on the Free Spirits meterboard. I'm not sure if I can do anything about it.
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Hi Juergie - new toy - always fun. Hope you enjoy the variation. I have the impression (thanks to Boris' photos of sweat puddles) that it's an intense workout. Would be curious how a half marathon compares, as you'd gotten yours to a great time last year.

Cheers.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Hi Barbara,

the Skierg is, well, totally not what I expected. I've never used one before and only had the information from the c2 homepage and some youtube videos. It looked so easy there and I thought that would - as you said - be a nice way to 'relax' after rowing. Boy, was I wrong!

My first workout yesterday was a 2k on the Skierg. With the serious mileage I collected this season on the rower, I thought I was well prepared. Could not be farther from the truth. Starting strong I quickly got slower. And plans about doing another 2k after the first one were shattered just after 500m :shock:

And there is this sharp pain this morning in my upper back that tells my, that my technique is crap and I need some serious adjustment.

So, I guess, no, actually I'm pretty sure, it will be quite some time before my first HM on the Skierg :)
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Hi Juergie
and some youtube videos.
Did you watch this one too? I found it very helpful (to watch it in slow motion). Unfortunately it's not in english language available. :(

It looked so easy there and I thought that would - as you said - be a nice way to 'relax' after rowing. Boy, was I wrong!

Haha! Ohhh… yeahhhh. :lol: :lol: It's exactly what happened for me. :mrgreen: It's a hell of machine/workout. :roll: #-o =D> :shock:

My first workout yesterday was a 2k on the Skierg. With the serious mileage I collected this season on the rower, I thought I was well prepared. Could not be farther from the truth. Starting strong I quickly got slower. And plans about doing another 2k after the first one were shattered just after 500m :shock:

:mrgreen: :lol: :shock:

My first SkiErg session, it was in August, I started "strong", the first 10sec I really felt like "hey cool, RowErg made me strong"… I then immediately begun to fade, my arms became heavier and heavier and after 1min (!) I even couldn't move my arms any more as they where like chewing gum and I had to stop – WTF. :oops: :shock: I then needed to "collect myself"… and then started again for 5min. Then 2-3min of rest. And so on. Next day I was sore. :mrgreen:
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Grüezi Boris,

Did you watch this one too? I found it very helpful (to watch it in slow motion). Unfortunately it's not in english language available. :(
This was actually the first video I watched (240 watts at 60 s/m? Are you kidding me?) :) I do like this series a lot! And not only because of the easy-on-the-eye-athlete :oops:

Second 2k on the Skierg today was as hard as yesterday. But at least I was mentally prepared. Nevertheless it still felt like me being 80 and pushing a walking frame :x

But I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a long (and intense) friendship :lol:
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

I do like this series a lot! And not only because of the easy-on-the-eye-athlete :oops:

I found this series helpful too.
But I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a long (and intense) friendship :lol:
:mrgreen:
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Hi Barbara,
CamiCrew wrote: Would be curious how a half marathon compares, as you'd gotten yours to a great time last year.
Did my first HM on the Skierg today. With 1:41:41 it was almost exactly 10 min. slower than my first rowing HM a year ago. Not too bad, considering I was sure after 15 min. I wouldn't make it :shock:

The downside is a considerable blister on my right and a gigantic blister on my left hand. When I started rowing, I used gloves in the beginning, but have not been using them for over 6 months. When I did the first workouts on the Skierg, I did them without gloves. But for some (stupid) reason I felt the need for gloves for my first HM. Big mistake! :evil:

Punctured the blisters and hope they heal well until tomorrow so I can row again.
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Juergie wrote:Did my first HM on the Skierg today.
=D> =D> ^O^ ^O^
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Ouch! Congratulations Juergie, you must be adapting quickly to have tried the HM already.

I looked at the video -- can see why gentlemen would need considerable time studying technique (ha), but my main impression was that it looks hard on her neck?

Good luck with the blisters, and continued training!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Hi Barbara,
CamiCrew wrote:I looked at the video -- can see why gentlemen would need considerable time studying technique (ha), but my main impression was that it looks hard on her neck?
I started with the technique showed in that video. Nice and easy strokes at the beginning. But I quickly discovered, that this movement doesn't feel "natural" at all. I did some cross country skiing in my late teens and my body seemed to remember that motion. And it didn't feel the same with the Skierg. So I looked at other videos, especially the one that Boris mentioned. The technique there is rarely found in other videos, but it is so much more to my liking. And it feels a lot more like real skiing.

Bending your knees and getting your back down gets the work done. My head goes down too and my forehead comes close to the PM5. So far I've had no troubles with my neck or my back.
CamiCrew wrote:Good luck with the blisters, and continued training!
If I ever write a book on how to become a successful rower, one chapter will be about blisters. Best way to deal with them, is not to get them in the first place. They are a real pain the, well, hands. I had a lot of burning and stinging while rowing today. My grip was constantly shifting to find a more comfortable position.
On the other hand, they can be a great motivation to get through your workout as fast as possible :lol: