Madchester 2016 - is ON!

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Madchester 2016 - is ON!

Post by Paul Victory »

I'm still struggling with my knee injury, so I've no idea what shape I'll be in by mid May or what type of challenge I would fancy doing.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Grobi »

CamiCrew wrote:Peter - whew. Didn't want our timing to be responsible for you missing your 1st ever Madchester, glad you can make it =D> :D
Yes, I'm glad I can finally make it, looking forward to meeting you and Jack!
Jill wrote:Really pleased to read that the ' not sures ' Peter and Eric are coming and will be keeping fingers, toes and everything else crossed that Paul will be able to make it too. :)
Looking forward to meeting you and Richard, too! :fswink:
hewitt wrote:Fingers crossed I am not shoved on that shift on the week end of the 14-15th. [-X [-X
Keeping my fingers crossed too, mate! We can't afford to not have the bbq master around! :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Flights and hotel booked, so I'll be there, even if it's just for the social side.

Pauyl V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by Recess »

Paul Victory wrote:Flights and hotel booked, so I'll be there, even if it's just for the social side.

Pauyl V
We could do an 'arms only' 500m - just for fun, and just in case your knee hasn't healed...
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Recess wrote:
Paul Victory wrote:Flights and hotel booked, so I'll be there, even if it's just for the social side.

Pauyl V
We could do an 'arms only' 500m - just for fun, and just in case your knee hasn't healed...
Or a one leg only... :lol: :wink:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

Recess wrote:

Pauyl V
We have seen Paul's technique. He does not need his knees. :wink: :wink:
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Recess

Post by Recess »

hewitt wrote:
Recess wrote:

Pauyl V

Ooooooo, kick a man while he's down why don't ya?!? :P
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Recess wrote:
hewitt wrote:
Recess wrote:

Ooooooo, kick a man while he's down why don't ya?!? :P
Now with his bad knee - I guess we can´t say: "Take up cycling...." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

In the words of Father Jack (R.I.P.), yez can all feck off! :lol:
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Paul Victory wrote:In the words of Father Jack (R.I.P.), yez can all feck off! :lol:
:lol:

Duckrunner
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Duckrunner »

CamiCrew wrote:That's awesome Dave, thank you. Still sorting the basics... papers, $$$, phone, coverage at home & work. Next I'll try to pin dates to locations! So far -- a rowing pal in London might take me out on the Thames ( 8) :shock: 8) ) and Jack has a car racing friend to visit, east coast-ish. I think options to get to/from Manchester are train, bus, car, or short flight. And other than that + tips from my brothers, haven't figured the rest :D

(In particular, your question on which erg events I want to row. :fsbgrin: I offered Jack to start training up on my erg... Lol. Got quite a look so I had to say "BBQ!" and "beer!" again real quick) :lol:
Hi Barbara
I believe Jack is ex Navy, Hewitt is ex Airforce and I am Ex Marines (Royal)tell him not to worry about the rowing, BBQ and beer is far more important. :D

I have also booked a room at the Normanhurst Hotel for the 14th/15th May. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Last year's Madchester was fun, in a masochistic sort of way. It would be great to go again, although May is going to be a bit of a busy month for me.

As for rowing distances, surely someone has to give the marathon a go? It would be the last weekend for the Global Marathon Challenge :twisted:
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Rob please do show up if it can be squeezed in! I actually gave a momentary thought to the marathon... did my 1st in Dec, got the free fancy pin for my effort. 8) Figured I'd log another sometime this year. Given that it's 3-4 hours however it would call for an extra early start to not tie up machines. I also distinctly recall how I felt after the marathon... got up from the erg, walked down the hallway and crawled into my bed. Jane may not appreciate that level of imposition at her home :lol: so I'll have to opt out on that one. :D
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Yes Rob, do try and make it if you can - it was a pleasure to meet you last year. :)

I’m still dithering about what to do but no prizes for guessing that a marathon would be way beyond my capabilities.

I’ve been wondering if Stan will decide to come - even if he didn’t feel the inclination to race, it would be good to have the benefit of his company. :)
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Good News (except for Plummy who I think is still smarting over claims that some underestimated their pace / handicapping last year), the train is booked, Normanhurst is booked, so it looks like I'll have to experience the pleasure of everyone's company :fsgrin: despite the pain of the row.
plummy

Post by plummy »

Good news Rob. Me? Smarting? - over losing a race? - Never!

Your time wasn't toooo bad, it was that Shuker lady who did all the real sandbagging re times - I was "Rob'd" (and "Jane'd")
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
plummy

Post by plummy »

Just a couple of reminders that popped into my head...

First - and this is IMPORTANT. Please DO NOT bring any food stuffs containing nuts to the house, whether they be in snack form, confectionery form or in desserts etc. Jane's daughter is extremely allergic.

Very much secondly - I still have some sweatbands left (3 x blue and 2 x pink) so if anyone wants one/extra ones it would help my "out of pocketness" :D

Plummy
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks for the reminder Plummy.

I'm planning to bring some Cadbury's chocolate with me next time. Who says I never learn from my mistakes? :lol:
plummy

Post by plummy »

Madchester 2016 - is MOVING!

A couple of attendees are already aware of a change of venue for this year's Madchester event but I wanted to make the change more formally announced.

This year the event will be held in my back garden and not Jane's as previously. For all those travelling/staying over at the Normanhurst it will make no difference to your travel plans as the houses are only about 50m apart as the crow flies. The major changes are as follows:

My garden is significantly more "bijou" than Jane's but the marquee does fit as I have used it for a family party. I had concerns about the BBQ being too close to the tent and I also have astroturf (melts if you get hot embers on it). I've overcome this by sweet-talking my new neighbours into letting me "borrow" some of their garden for putting the BBQ gear on there instead.

As I have a summer house (posh shed) and conservatory we can ensure that food/drink is nearby but weather-proof.

The peanut/nut rule can now be ignored (unless someone else attending has an allergy in which case scream now)

Parking will be the same as previous years - it's a small cul-de-sac so please leave your cars at the end of the road somewhere near (but preferably not directly in front) the local shops (150m away). You are of course welcome to pull up outside to unload your gear/ergs/food/beer etc and then just move the car away.

In the past some have gone back to the hotel to shower/change ahead of the evening but you are welcome to use my shower facilities if you want to (but please bring a towel) :D

Mrs P has volunteered to take over much of the catering side as I will generally by doing an impression of a blue arsed fly all day and too busy to help much - so any offers of help in and around the kitchen would be most welcome (that's my request on behalf of the team, not hers). For ease of duplication we'll be making a trip to Costco for most of the BBQ supplies but I'm sure there will be baking going on to.

I am nearer my neighbours houses/gardens than Jane so once the evening comes around, I'll be turning any music down and I'm afraid Paul - there'll be no singing! If the weather is rubbish we'll just move inside anyway.

As Mrs P is a childminder (I think that is Babysitter in USA parlance), we are not too proud about shoes in and out of the house so don't feel you need to take them off, most of the main thoroughfare floors are trashed on a weekly basis by the little bast...er, darlings!

I'll start the "who's doing what" list shortly and post it up in anticipation of everyone changing their minds once I tell them what they are doing :wink:
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks for the update plummy. I'll refrain from singing, but I might have a glass or two of wine. This is the first time I'll have stayed over on the Saturday, so it will be nice not to have to dash off to the airport mid barbecue.

Paul V
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

This whole adventure sounds absolutely delightful. I'd love to come meet the team and cheer everybody on... except I have an almost pathological hatred of airports. Perhaps next year... after I hear all about Barbara's 10-hr plane flight. :shock:
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Paul Victory wrote:Thanks for the update plummy. I'll refrain from singing, but I might have a glass or two of wine. This is the first time I'll have stayed over on the Saturday, so it will be nice not to have to dash off to the airport mid barbecue.

Paul V
Paul, I doubt after a handful or two of beer and couple of glasses of wine we have any chance of keeping you from singing... :lol: :lol: :lol: No, just kiddin´... :wink: :wink:

Yes, thx for the update, Dave :!: :fssmile: That´s really generous of Mrs P to participate in that manner and also open her house and garden for our Free Spirits :!: =D> =D> =D> =D> Don´t know my race distance at the moment, but I might get sweaty - and had already thought of asking for permission to use your shower (again), so thanks very much for opening that possibility for us, Mr and Mrs P :!: 8)

Out of curiosity: Does this mean that our lovely Jane won´t be taking part in the festivities?

plummy

Post by plummy »

Liefcat wrote: Out of curiosity: Does this mean that our lovely Jane won´t be taking part in the festivities?
Yes, that is correct - not this year.

Thinking on, if you are flying in, a bath towel is bulky item, so if you are only wanting to bring carry on luggage I'll provide towels for anyone in that situation (plus there will be more room for chocolate from Paul V :D )
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

May I volunteer for kitchen duties?

Happy to do some baking if needed - please let me know if you have any specific requirements. I would prefer to do the baking at home and bring it along on the day.
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

plummy wrote:
Liefcat wrote: Out of curiosity: Does this mean that our lovely Jane won´t be taking part in the festivities?
Yes, that is correct - not this year.

Thinking on, if you are flying in, a bath towel is bulky item, so if you are only wanting to bring carry on luggage I'll provide towels for anyone in that situation (plus there will be more room for chocolate from Paul V :D )
Of course, sad to learn that our No. 1 Jane won´t be there this year, but also of course, she has a lot of other "things" to take care of...

Very generous of you thinking that thought and offering towels, Dave - but I might manage to squeeze in a towel stilll in my hand luggage. Don´t know exactly what kind of chocolate Paul has in mind (to my mind Belgian and Swiss are the best :wink: ), but maybe I could need some specific wishes from you and Mrs P :!: :?: :!: :wink: