Madchester 2016 - is ON!

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Madchester 2016 - is ON!

Post by Grobi »

Recess wrote:Will need a hotel for the Saturday night though - any suggestions?
John,

over the past years the Normanhurst Hotel (http://www.normanhursthotel.co.uk/) has become a kind of "Free Spirits Madchester event hotel", it's within walking distance from the venue.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Peter - whew. Didn't want our timing to be responsible for you missing your 1st ever Madchester, glad you can make it =D> :D Also very cool Erik & John are a go!

Booked at Normanhurst arr. Fri 5/13 dep Sun 5/15. (Edit: 15th not 16th oops) Not sure if it is typical? but the hotel booking engine has "no space available" for those dates, whereas the travel brokers - Kayak, Priceline, Expedia have rooms.

:fsbgrin:
Last edited by CamiCrew on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by Recess »

Normanhurst booked for the 14th. Woo-hoo!
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

We're booked into the Normanhurst Hotel for the Saturday Night.

Really pleased to read that the ' not sures ' Peter and Eric are coming and will be keeping fingers, toes and everything else crossed that Paul will be able to make it too. :)
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

I am pretty sure I can make it. But my life has been thrown upside down at work at the moment. Not a bad thing. I have been taken off the shift pattern I have been on for 6 years and moved into a different area at work in a different hanger. Better than being made redundant and after training I will be on more money because of a different shift pattern. The problem is that I have to train on day shift for 3-4 weeks before getting my new team and shift. One of the shifts is a back to back nights were you do Wed, Thur, Friday night followed by the Sun, Mon, Tuesday night. Fingers crossed I am not shoved on that shift on the week end of the 14-15th. [-X [-X
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Fingers crossed Jason as I've already showed Jack all your fighter jet pics in the Sanctuary by way of introduction.

:D [-o< :fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Looking forward to it! I'll be there, even if I'm still injured. I'm planning to stay over for the Saturday night for a change. Not sure whether I'll head over on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. What time are things likely to start?

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

What time things start kinda depends on a) how many are coming b) how many are rowing and c) what distances/times they are going for.
As a fair estimate I would go with around 12:00~1:00pm for some sort of rowing activity

How many ergs do we have ?
Jane x 1
Me x 1
The Underwoods x 1
The Havemans x 1
Jonathan Davies x 1 (if he's coming).
That would be enough as their isn't marquee space for more (unless the weather means one more can go outside)
Peter is arriving on Friday evening (I'm collecting from the airport)
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Thx, yes I guess Jon will be coming - from our Facebook messages - and I guess he would also like to be in shape to do some erging... :fswink:

What are the "restrictions" as to distances/times :?: :fssmile:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
jhaveman

Post by jhaveman »

We're looking forward to seeing everybody.
We've also booked the hotel for the Saturday night.

Sheena & Jan
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:What time things start kinda depends on a) how many are coming b) how many are rowing and c) what distances/times they are going for.
As a fair estimate I would go with around 12:00~1:00pm for some sort of rowing activity
Just looking at flights now. Thinking of getting the 10:35 flight to Manchester on Saturday morning (arriving at 11:35) and the 12:00 flight home on the Sunday.

Without :^o wishing to put anyone on the spot, would this get me there on time and what are my chances of availing of the exceptional transfer service that I have enjoyed in previous years? Failing this, I presume other transport options are available and would welcome any guidance in relation to these options.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Recess

Post by Recess »

I'm going to base it around a 4 hour drive from Glasgow. So 12:00 start would mean I could leave at 08:00.

Happy to throw my machine in the back of the car if another it required.

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

CamiCrew wrote:Fingers crossed Jason
Ours will be crossed as well Jason. :)
Paul Victory wrote:Without wishing to put anyone on the spot, would this get me there on time and what are my chances of availing of the exceptional transfer service that I have enjoyed in previous years? Failing this, I presume other transport options are available and would welcome any guidance in relation to these options.
The Underwood Taxi Service will be available if needed. :)
plummy

Post by plummy »

There are no "limits" as such as to what anyone wants to row. I'd still like a crack at the 50~59LWT 100km British Record but unfortunately taking 7 hours 30 out of the day and potentially being unable to function much afterwards means that sort of thing is outside the limit.

I think a bit of variety would be a good thing rather than everyone doing say, whatever the CTC is that month. Probably the easiest way to approach this is for everyone to PM me with a first and second choice of what they want to do. That way they aren't influenced by anyone else to begin with. There's no rush on this but if you do have an idea already please feel free to fire it across to me. I also need to know if any spouses are "having a go" (I believe that was a "No" from the California crew :wink: )

Maybe everyone could do their first choice event and if the CTC is suitable we could have a group effort at that. I appreciate they may not be 100% representative of a best effort but as the event is about floating boats as much as the boat's position it could be fun for a bulk entry.

I'm very happy to set up a handicap start race again (I think they are great) but that by definition means several people doing the same thing and flies in the face of lots of variety. To be honest, I'll work with whatever you guys want to do - but I can't do anything until I know what people want as I need to allow for warm ups/No. of ergs etc etc

As a starter, I'm toying with the idea of trying to go <19:00 for a 5k. My SB is 19:07.5 and I think Peter's is very close to that so maybe a head to head challenge? :twisted:
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Paul Victory wrote:
Just looking at flights now. Thinking of getting the 10:35 flight to Manchester on Saturday morning (arriving at 11:35) and the 12:00 flight home on the Sunday.

Without :^o wishing to put anyone on the spot, would this get me there on time and what are my chances of availing of the exceptional transfer service that I have enjoyed in previous years? Failing this, I presume other transport options are available and would welcome any guidance in relation to these options.

Paul V
My flights appear very similar, arriving 10.50 on Saturday and departure 12.30 on Sunday - so one might kill two birds with one stone :?: :?: :fswink:

plummy

Post by plummy »

Are you both arriving at the same terminal?
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

plummy wrote:Are you both arriving at the same terminal?
Not sure yet... I´m on the LH942 from Frankfurt - but I should have plenty of time to "move around" at the airport till Paul arrives...

hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

10400491_1036119783106425_8667773696411907028_n.jpg
10400491_1036119783106425_8667773696411907028_n.jpg (178.24 KiB) Viewed 795 times
CamiCrew wrote:Fingers crossed Jason as I've already showed Jack all your fighter jet pics in the Sanctuary by way of introduction.

:D [-o< :fsbgrin:
I have actually changed jobs to work on one of your planes Barbara. :D The JSF. I am sure Jack can find plenty of pictures of them. :wink:
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Liefcat wrote:
Not sure yet... I´m on the LH942 from Frankfurt - but I should have plenty of time to "move around" at the airport till Paul arrives...
Ryanair fly into and out of T3 in Manchester.

Paul V
plummy

Post by plummy »

Liefcat wrote:
Lufthansa operate from Terminal 1
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Liefcat wrote:
Paul Victory wrote:

Paul V
My flights appear very similar, arriving 10.50 on Saturday and departure 12.30 on Sunday - so one might kill two birds with one stone :?: :?: :fswink:
Sounds like a good idea. If you can make it across from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3, we can travel together to Jane's.
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

plummy wrote:
Liefcat wrote:
Lufthansa operate from Terminal 1
That was what I thought...

Yes, Paul, I think I can manage to get from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 to meet you there... 8) (Hope you´re not going to Liverpool this year... :lol: :lol: )

(Anyways, this time maybe we should exchange phone numbers beforehand... :wink: )

CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Jason yep, he's familiar. He's also a talent at the grill like you. Plummy I am up for anything on the erg agenda. I couldn't have imagined I'd cross the Atlantic for an erging celebration, so put me in, Coach. Ready to play. 5k, 20 min, 30 min, sprinty CTC, 10k, half-marathon, 2k... oh wait I'm on vacation... ah bring it. I can't wait! Sorry, I was supposed to PM, wasn't I? #-o
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

CamiCrew wrote: Ready to play. 5k, 20 min, 30 min, sprinty CTC, 10k, half-marathon, 2k... oh wait I'm on vacation... ah bring it. I can't wait! Sorry, I was supposed to PM, wasn't I? #-o
Are we getting a bit excited? :lol:

Thinking about the date, we are just into a new season - so there is always the "soft" option of an SB attempt for anyone looking for something a little "easier". :D

I've started a list of what people are happy to do. I appreciate it may change in time but the sooner I know, the sooner it will take a proper form and shape.
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

plummy wrote:
CamiCrew wrote: Ready to play. 5k, 20 min, 30 min, sprinty CTC, 10k, half-marathon, 2k... oh wait I'm on vacation... ah bring it. I can't wait! Sorry, I was supposed to PM, wasn't I? #-o
Are we getting a bit excited? :lol:
Guess I´m open to most of the possible and impossible challenges at this point... When we get nearer I will most probably have worked out some "preferences" - and then I´ll PM you, Dave... :fswink: