February ctc - 3 x 7' / 5'r, the slowest to count

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: February ctc - 3 x 7' / 5'r, the slowest to count

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Felton: We have another opportunity to motivate each other. Right now the ball is still in my court. I did my first try at the Feb challenge and my slowest rep was 1964m, after I logged it, I noticed your result at 1966m. :shock: #-o

I did not pace it ideally, and put down more meters in the second and third reps, but the damage was done.

It seems like I have to give this another go, probably this coming weekend.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
millie
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by millie »

Draggon wrote:Here's my first shot at it. Seems to indicate I can do it faster though I started the third set at a 1:56 pace and had to slow down with about 3 mins left. At least I get to hang out in Boat 2 for a bit! :D
Draggon - good effort, reckon consistent 1:58-1:58.5 is very doable. Which relative to your 5k PB makes me think that is in need of updating!
*All PBs set on a Model D on slides
Caratacus
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Caratacus »

Greg - looks like we took different approaches: I went off too fast and you too slowly so there is definitely some improvement to be made. I would like to go about 1980m but probably won't try again until the end of the month so hopefully you will have set a marker for me by then :twisted:
Felton H
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Definitely not ready to do this again -- too many painful workouts already on the radar -- but I do have a question:

On the first go at this, I realized I'm not sure I've ever done all-standing starts in an interval set... how is this best set up?

I figured it was Time Intervals with 7:00 and rest 5:00, but as the clock ticked down to zero on the rest, I wasn't sure how to do the standing start. Just watch for the interval start?

Silly question I'm sure. It just seemed awkward, when to take that first stroke.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Barbara - I just watch the clock count down to 0 and as soon as it does stomp on it (the erg I mean). It's nothing you can do very scientifically, just don't "accidentally" set off a couple of seconds early and try not to miss the start (Paul V :twisted: )

Had my first go and figured if 2 weeks ago I could manage a 5k with no rest at 1:55.0 pace I should be able to match that so used that as my pace marker:

1832m - 1:54.6
1843m - 1:53.9
1847m - 1:53.6

There was no need to go faster on reps 2 or 3 as long as I didn't go slower. Average was 1:54.0. Need to find 0.3s to bump Strider and 0.6s to bump Peter :twisted:

Actually thought it was a good session. Felt odd only doing about 10k total (with warm ups and cool downs)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Draggon
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

millie wrote:Draggon - good effort, reckon consistent 1:58-1:58.5 is very doable. Which relative to your 5k PB makes me think that is in need of updating!
Thanks millie. I'm still scared of the 5k after blowing up on 1/31 trying to better my January CTC time... :)

Btw, I'm curious what my chart shows for my 5k time from your perspective? I update it religiously, but I've noticed I have to sometimes "reload" the page to get the new numbers to show up.
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

CamiCrew wrote:Silly question I'm sure. It just seemed awkward, when to take that first stroke.
I just realized after puzzling over your and David's posts that you are setting up the entire session in RowPro as an interval set. I just set up 3 individual 7 minute rows and just used a timer to count down the 5 minutes between them. I took the 5 minutes rest literally - I didn't row during that time, but stood up, got a drink, wiped off some sweat, meditated, pet the cat, read a book, etc. until 15 seconds left. Then strapped myself in and started the next 7 minute row which I had set up (after starting the 5 min timer immediately after the previous row) to the point that all I had to do was hit the Start button one time and wait for Row! to appear on the screen.

Do most people row leisurely during the rest? I was thinking about setting an alarm and curling up on the floor next to the rower... :)
plummy

Post by plummy »

You generally need to "refresh" your page when you have updated your PB's etc - that's normal (for me anyway).

I don't use Rowpro much (it died on the computer after my Windows 10 upgrade and their solution was to "use another computer" - gee, thanks!). I set it up on my PM4 as a timed piece interval set and 5 mins rest. All you need to make sure is that the PM doesn't power off (I do that by pressing the middle bottom button (Change Display)). Pressing it 5 times scrolls through the options and back to the one you started at.

You need to be careful if you do any rowing at all when it is strict rules for a static flywheel. If you watch a flywheel slow down it takes nearly 3 minutes to come to a complete stop (mine does anyway) so any rowing after the first 1:30~2:00 mins of a 5 minute rest risks still having it rolling at your next start
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Ron I often don't use RowPro for CTC interval pieces. Personal preference only, one less layer... happy to use it for a regular training interval set though. Works fine.

For this CTC I did the same as Plummy -- used my PM3 to Select Workout > New Workout > Intervals: Time > setting the time to 7:00 and the rest to 5:00.

Next I'd lean towards manually timing the rests, like you did... because I'm good at botching interval starts, even when rolling ones are allowed. I'll time it just wrong and fight a crazy high start avg most of the interval, not fun.

That said, I do hope to try this online with others -- tricky timing there too -- but sounds fun.

Cheers.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
millie
Rower and forum addict...

Post by millie »

Draggon wrote:
millie wrote:Draggon - good effort, reckon consistent 1:58-1:58.5 is very doable. Which relative to your 5k PB makes me think that is in need of updating!
Thanks millie. I'm still scared of the 5k after blowing up on 1/31 trying to better my January CTC time... :)

Btw, I'm curious what my chart shows for my 5k time from your perspective? I update it religiously, but I've noticed I have to sometimes "reload" the page to get the new numbers to show up.
Your 5k PB is showing at 20:24 which is ~2:02.4 pace, compared to what realistically looks like ~1:58-1:58.5 for the CTC once you get the pacing sorted, i.e. Around 4 secs faster per 500m. Looks like most people including me are closer to their 5k pace than you are so I would strongly suspect you could drop at least 1 second per 500m for 5k. I know everyone is different but I note that my 5k is about a second per 500m quicker than yours BUT your CTC pace will be over a second quicker than mine...

I reckon you should bite the bullet and have another crack at the 5k after you've had another go at the CTC
*All PBs set on a Model D on slides
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Ah, thanks David and Barbara - I have a clearer picture now of how others are doing this. I tend to forget that my Model D has a PM on it as I always leave it in the down position so I can see my big screen clearly... :)
millie wrote:Your 5k PB is showing at 20:24 which is ~2:02.4 pace, compared to what realistically looks like ~1:58-1:58.5 for the CTC once you get the pacing sorted, i.e. Around 4 secs faster per 500m...

I reckon you should bite the bullet and have another crack at the 5k after you've had another go at the CTC
You're likely right - I still have a lot of sorting to do in figuring out pacing of various pieces. Right now I just do what feels about right without falling off the machine... :)

By the way, some fine young chap knocked me out of Boat 2 and now I'm feeling very much like a 5th wheel as I'm sitting in a boat with two couples. :lol:

(P.S. I'm only assuming - for my own amusement - that Roger and Clare are a couple? I actually know nothing about them.)
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Draggon wrote: (P.S. I'm only assuming - for my own amusement - that Roger and Clare are a couple? I actually know nothing about them.)
You're close. The couple is Roger and Gillian (no score from her yet for this month), Clare must be their daughter.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

On the topic of standing starts. Here is what I did.

I set up the row on RowPro as a variable interval session with no rests. That way I can capture the rest strokes. Then I defined it as follows....

7min mid (my warm up)
5 min very easy
7 min hard (rep 1)
5 min very easy
7 min hard (rep 2)
5 min very easy
7 min hard (rep 3)
5 min very easy
7 min easy (cool down)

When I rowed it, I paddle for the first 4 minutes of each rest, and then stopped completely for a minute to let the wheel spin down. At the end of the minute, I would go to attention when with 2 seconds left, and wait for the "7:00" to pop up on the screen to start the interval. I liked doing it that way because it's kind of like a race start.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
RogerB
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by RogerB »

Re couples. Clare is our daughter a light wt and 56yrs on 17th Feb - lives near Adelaide. Much too fast for me. Gillian with her Alzheimers finds this type of challenge difficult to understand. Did you know she has been credited with the 100m 80+lt wt world record? Roger
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Hello, i am Claudius,new on this site,

and fullfilled todays ctc in row pro, how can i upload it(it is still on my C2log).

thx
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
plummy

Post by plummy »

Hi Claudius (and welcome). :D

Do you want to record the distance on the CTC page, ot transfer the row from Rowpro to your C2 log?

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Hello, its still on c2 log, i dont know how report to ctc, thx
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Hi Claudius and welcome to Free Spirits :fswink:

as for the ctc, you can (in fact have to) enter it manually on the ctc website. To do that you need to set up an account there first. Have you done that already?

It's quite simple: go to the ctc website and then to the "Add or update a person" button in the top right corner. You'll find a description how to set up a new account there but it's pretty straight forward anyway. Remember to set yout team affiliation correctly :fswink:

After creating your account you can log in to the website and enter your distance. Good luck with any future attempts if you're planning to have some.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Draggon

Post by Draggon »

RogerB wrote:Re couples. Clare is our daughter a light wt and 56yrs on 17th Feb - lives near Adelaide. Much too fast for me.
Ooops! :oops: I guess that old adage about assuming is still correct. :)
Gillian with her Alzheimers finds this type of challenge difficult to understand.
Sorry to hear about the Alzheimers - a truly dreadful disease as witnessed when my grandmother-in-law went through it. Will you be able to coach her through the challenge this month or will she just skip it?
Did you know she has been credited with the 100m 80+lt wt world record?
I did not know that, but I am duly impressed!! =D>
jolo

Post by jolo »

I'm off work this past week so was able to get in a little erg training and attempt the ctc.

1. 1785m 1:57.6
2. 1786m
3. 1787m

I feel like I paced it perfectly for my current fitness level. Really struggled to match the first rep on the last 2. :fsgrin:
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

Agreed - looks like you paced it about spot on. Nice work and welcome back to the erg Joe
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
RogerB
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by RogerB »

Gillian has declined, at the moment, to do the CTC this month saying she does not understand the 5min waiting between each 7 mins. Trying to give her details does not help. Roger
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

She's a real trooper anyway Roger, please tell her congratulations on the WR! :-)

Peter, thanks for the target again.
1849, 1851 and 1855 for me (ave 1:53.4), so much more for you to aim at next time ;-)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

plummy wrote:Need to find 0.6s to bump Peter :twisted:
I saw that :twisted: :fswink:
Wolfmiester wrote:Peter, thanks for the target again.
You're welcome :D

Well done on the 1849m, it seems I should have another go at this really soon :o

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Darn that's Wolfie and Peter now :twisted:

Well done Steve =D>
Wolfmeister wrote:- She's a real trooper anyway Roger, please tell her congratulations on the WR! :-)

Peter, thanks for the target again.
1849, 1851 and 1855 for me (ave 1:53.4), so much more for you to aim at next time ;-)
I did 1861 for my first and second this morning-does that count ? :lol:

The trouble is I had nothing left for the third-will have another go on Saturday alongside Trevor Taylor as we go to the same gym :wink:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]