Embarrassing Story

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Embarrassing Story

Post by Draggon »

Okay, so this is what it's going to be like to get old...

Here's the setup - I erg up in the bonus room with my laptop connected to my 46" plasma TV with both screens active. The image on the TV is great for rowing, but not so great for reading small text, and the view of my laptop is compromised by the fact that my eyes have turned to $%#& since before I turned 50. Further complicating communications are; the fact that I hate typing on laptop keyboards in the first place and after a strenuous row, I'm trying to type while still strapped in the rower, cradling my laptop on my lap whilst my hands are shaky and sweaty.

So... I signed up for a 9-person 5k today at 17:30GMT. Had a pretty good row for me, but was breathing pretty hard at the end. After the row, the Danish gal that had also rowed suggested a cooldown which I was the only one to take her up on. She set up a 9-minute CD which we proceeded to row virtually neck & neck throughout. I was concentrating on keeping my heartrate below 135 while toying around with Pace and SPM (I had raised my Drag Factor from 100 to 115 prior to the row - also still experimenting) and hadn't a care in the world where she was relative to me. As it got to the end and we glided to the finish line side-by-side, I wondered briefly if she may have thought I'd stuck with her on purpose. I'm sure there was potential for some subconscious factors, but truthfully, whatever she was doing just happened to equate to an equal pace to what I was doing.

Anyway, after the CD, she says something along the lines of "nice row - smooth finish". I don't remember exactly, but it was innocuous.

To which I replied "yes, I was letting my heart rate dictate pace rather than testes" [-X

What really happened: I was typing the sentence in the little chat box and when I got to the word "testosterone", I inadvertently whisked my thumb across the laptop trackpad (another reason I hate typing on laptops) which relocated my cursor out of the chat box. Hitting Enter wouldn't input the message I thought I typed, so I manually clicked the Send button. To my horror, that's what appeared on my screen.

I immediately responded with "sry", but she played it off like nothing happened with "I need to do more HR limiting" (paraphrasing).

I then said "I meant to type testosterone" to which she laughed and said she understood.

Hurried to say goodbye and backed slowly away from the erg.... :oops:

So now there's some innocent Danish gal out there that has confirmed that all American men are jerks.... lol
Kirstin
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Embarrassing Story

Post by Kirstin »

:lol:

I wouldn't worry about it. Anyone who has been online for more than a week understands typos - even embarrassing ones. She probably got a good giggle out of it, and they say laughter is good for your health so you did her a favor.
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's hilarious. And an excellent start to your cross-cultural rowing adventures.

=D>
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

If that was Annette Wammen (Danish regular on Rowpro) she'll still be laughing now - she's a complete nutter!
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

plummy wrote:If that was Annette Wammen (Danish regular on Rowpro) she'll still be laughing now - she's a complete nutter!
That would be her... :)
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by Recess »

Hah, good story - it's like all those 'Autocorrect' threads you find. I'm sure she understood.

Not sure if this kind of thing would help for you - but I use a remote keyboard when I'm doing the rowpro thing. It's like a computer game controller / phone keypad. Makes it a lot easier to type post race.

In fact, this is the one I use:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Wireless ... SwJkJWl7hR

I'm sure you can find an equivalent at a non-ebay retailer.
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Ron I can add my embarrassing story...

Saw an online row at 5pm my time yesterday -- had worked through lunch time and my sched called for 10k steady state.

This row was set at 48 mins, just right. Description said "it's my 48th birthday." (aww, a birthday) Ignored the rest of the session title.

Not another soul was signed up. I thought "poor guy, UK is in bed. He may not get any takers. Lonely birthday!"

So I registered, joined 10 mins ahead, still saw no one else involved, said hi, happy birthday, etc.

Well a few minutes to start and suddenly 2 other guys pop in. They welcome me to the GRC.

GRC?

Um yes... stands for Gentlemen's Rowing Club.

:oops: :lol:

They said I could row if I didn't give them cooties. #-o :-s :-#

:D
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

CamiCrew wrote:GRC?

Um yes... stands for Gentlemen's Rowing Club.
:lol: :lol: Awesome... so - two questions:

Did you row?

If yes, did you give them cooties?? :mrgreen:

Draggon - haven't used my invisible "cootie spray" for years!
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Draggon wrote:
plummy wrote:If that was Annette Wammen (Danish regular on Rowpro) she'll still be laughing now - she's a complete nutter!
No harm done, then - Annette loves those corners of the language... :lol:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Draggon wrote: Did you row?
Yes, yes of course. They turned out to be friendly and funny.
Draggon wrote: If yes, did you give them cooties??
Ewww? No! :wink:
Draggon wrote:haven't used my invisible "cootie spray" for years!
:lol:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Duckrunner
True Free Spirit

Post by Duckrunner »

Draggon wrote:
I am sure Annette would have been howling with laughter, your lucky you did not get a fast ball ( no pun intended) back. :D

Chris
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.