Row2Rio - anyone up for it?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Row2Rio - anyone up for it?

Post by Stan »

Count me in too.
pb times
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Recess »

You're in!
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
davidc
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by davidc »

I am sorry that I brought up Scottish bloodlines (as a joke). I had no idea what it was going to start. But if we are going to name names my mother was a Muir. Just from the examples of this small group of people, if everyone looked back far enough they might find some kind of Scottish connection. eg Your baby sitter's 4th cousin's uncle on her mothers side was married to a woman whose geat grandmother was Scottish. See no problem.
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Happy to be counted in. If you prefer to keep the group limited, no problem.

I'm Jamaican born, but have single malt scotch whiskey in the cabinet... next to the rum. :-k
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
MacFan
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by MacFan »

Hi, I`m from Germany but I love Scotish Whisky. :mrgreen: Can I in the Team? :roll:
Guenther [46y - 184cm - 89-91kg] rowing since 01/14 with interruptions due to injury
Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

CamiCrew wrote:I'm Jamaican born, but have single malt scotch whiskey in the cabinet...
MacFan wrote:Hi, I`m from Germany but I love Scotish Whisky. Can I in the Team?
davidc wrote:I am sorry that I brought up Scottish bloodlines (as a joke). I had no idea what it was going to start.
David, it has been informative and good fun reading about all the Scottish connections and about those who seem to have only a connection with the scotch ... :fsbgrin: :fswink:
Recess

Post by Recess »

In the tradition of a Scottish party, as long as you bring a bag that clinks, and can either stand in the corner and sing a song, or stand in the other corner and tell everyone you could do better - you're more than welcome to join the Row2Rio team.

Looking good so far, just waiting on paperwork from Scottish Rowing before I post bits back on here.

John

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Kirstin
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Kirstin »

I can bring a bag that clinks, but I will spare you from my singing. :lol:

I have a bit of Scottish in me, and a bit of Irish as well. Mostly English and 1/4 Swedish though.
davidc

Post by davidc »

Seriously,
Has anyone looked at a map. That is one long and big creek that we have to paddle up from Scotland to Brazil. Don't forget we are all in the same boat.

The guys: Quiet ! Here come the women. Who are we going to say thought up this crazy idea.
http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/ ... onglow.jpg

Plummy, Strider77 and Paul Victory : We don’t care if it was a detour. We have tickets for Swan Lake.
http://www.digitaltveurope.net/wp-conte ... ames-5.jpg

Recess : Grobi stop complaining. It was my idea, so I get to choose my position and the team colours.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc ... 05847b.jpg

CamiCrew : Look at what we have to do now just to get a window seat.
Davidc: O no! I forgot my flowery sunhat.
http://www.lore-and-saga.co.uk/assets/images/ship1.jpg
davidc

Post by davidc »

Seriously, continued

Stan to Hewitt and Macfan :
https://www.google.ca/search?q=viking+l ... gDFKozM%3A

R Burrell to Gillian : Honey, did you remember to bring those seasickness pills.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=viking+l ... SOFJZ3M%3A

Jill to K_Cat and Kirsten: Girls remind me not to wear a skirt next time. They will just make us jump in the water first again.
http://www.artinliverpool.com/wp-conten ... at-top.jpg

We all have to look deep inside ourselves to see if we all will be able to overcome these types of trials and tribulations.
Kirstin

Post by Kirstin »

davidc wrote:Seriously, continued

Jill to K_Cat and Kirsten: Girls remind me not to wear a skirt next time. They will just make us jump in the water first again.
http://www.artinliverpool.com/wp-conten ... at-top.jpg

We all have to look deep inside ourselves to see if we all will be able to overcome these types of trials and tribulations.
It's not a skirt; it's a tunic. (Or maybe a kilt. :D )
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

David, why didn’t you say that you had your heart set on being the ship’s Entertainment Officer? The job is yours. :lol: =D>

My imagination has already gone way past ‘ safe ‘ conjuring up a picture of Plummy, Strider and Paul in their Tutus … :D :wink:

I read an article in last Sunday’s papers about Lauretta Summerscales, a first soloist at the English National Ballet. She said, “ If I need more power in my jumps, I use a rowing machine. “ There you have it. :)

One slight criticism - I’ve spent/wasted far too much time reading the Viking cartoon jokes. :oops: [-X :lol: :wink:
davidc wrote:Jill to K_Cat and Kirsten: Girls remind me not to wear a skirt next time.
Had to do a double take on this one but it’s definitely me - used to have a ponytail. Thank goodness I’d shaved my legs. [-o< :lol: :wink:
Kirstin wrote:It's not a skirt; it's a tunic. (Or maybe a kilt. )

Kirstin, a Scottish singer named Andy Stewart sang a song called ‘ Donald Where’s Your ‘ Troosers ‘ - I’m sure it will be somewhere on Youtube … Change the word Donald for Jill Mary and the word lassies for laddies and you will understand why I would prefer wearing a tunic to a kilt. :lol: :wink:

It’s a good job that John has a great sense of humour, otherwise I can’t help wondering if he might be having second thoughts about taking us all on as crew - you’re right David, Brazil is a long way … Last time I saw John he was carrying aboard a very large plank and saying. “ Thank goodness I’ll have the support of my friend Jack Daniels. “ [-o< :lol: :wink:
davidc

Post by davidc »

Re Seriously
Technical difficulty

I have found out that the picture for the R Burrell and Gillian caption does not always appear. If you wait a bit or slowly scroll down the pictures page it should pop up.I will say it involves a VERY LARGE deep blue wave.

We apologize for this inconveniece and look forward to serving you in the future.

I
nickb4782a
Warming up

Post by nickb4782a »

That is just my luck that my wife if fron north of the border & I missed the boat to get on the team. just to keep the flags flying, I am Irish on my mothers side and West country on my fathers side which is probably why I like cheese since cheddar is just down the road :lol: :lol:
its not who is in front you need to worry about but the ones behind you
Recess

Post by Recess »

No worries Nock, you can come aboard too. Some folks keep stepping out to enjoy the 'refreshments' so we need to swap people in and out from time to time...

Welcome to the team. We're doing very well so far. I'll try to post where we are later today.

John

nickb4782a
Warming up

Post by nickb4782a »

Thanks for letting me on the team :fsbgrin:
This will be a good reason for me to keep rowing so I better go down the gym now then
Recess

Post by Recess »

Ok team - time for a roll call. Put your drinks down and report to your position.

I'm using the details from the meterboard to enter in the data for this challenge - and as the forum user names aren't the same as the meterboard names, could do with a bit of help.

If your name is the same as the meterboard, I can work this out myself - but could you please humour me if not - just so I don't enter in the wrong 'Alan' etc - and ping me a message (or reply to this thread) with your Meterboard name?

Thanks - I just want to make sure I enter in the right numbers!!

John (Steventon)

nickb4782a
Warming up

Post by nickb4782a »

Recess wrote:Ok team - time for a roll call. Put your drinks down and report to your position.
If your name is the same as the meterboard, I can work this out myself - but could you please humour me if not - just so I don't enter in the wrong 'Alan' etc - and ping me a message (or reply to this thread) with your Meterboard name?
John (Steventon)
Hi John S. As I am unable to write a pm to you (access rights) I will just confirm here
meter name Nick Bye and forum name is Nickb4782a. Thanks :)
Kirstin

Post by Kirstin »

I'm Kirstin on the forum and Kirstin Esau on the meterboard. You'll have to scroll down a bit to find me. Currently at position 221 due to just getting started in December.
lcantey
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by lcantey »

Recess wrote:Ok team - time for a roll call. Put your drinks down and report to your position.
Hello John,

If you need more I'll be happy to pull. My grandmother was a Paterson and I remember the kilt she gave me fondly (the thought anyways if not so much the actual wearing). :wink:

Lee
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

John why not put up a Google docs tracker & we can help take the admin burden off you?

This is till August, right? That's a lot of tracking hours and numbers entered manually. Might help to disperse the effort at least to some of us.

DavidC - great images. I'll bring you a flowery sunhat if I can borrow that killer yellow cape on the chilly days :wink:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
K_Cat
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by K_Cat »

Yes, a Google docs tracker would be a good idea and it would be a time saver. Plummy did one on Facebook last Nov/Dec, maybe he could help you get it going?

K_Cat, Peggy Hubbard
Recess

Post by Recess »

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Actually, I can 'cheat' by using the meterboard. It totals up the month's meters for me - so I can just enter in that for everyone (the spreadsheet has the option to add in day by day - and THAT would take up a lot of time!!

However, I'm always up for something that takes less time. So if this method takes longer than 5 minutes I'll look at the Google Docs option instead.

And can we all shove up a bit to make room for Lee please?

Thanks.

John

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

John my name on the meterboard is alan wisniewski which by a happy coincidence is my real name.

:lol:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Recess

Post by Recess »

Hah, thanks Alan - although you were one of the few ones I took a gamble on already knowing.