Row2Rio - anyone up for it?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Row2Rio - anyone up for it?

Post by Recess »

I can only assume they got distracted by a bar somewhere selling cheap booze. Either that or they didn't get their totals in in time.

I'll keep totalling up the meters before Rio, see if we can row back to Scotland again to pick up some Irn Bru and haggis.

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Thanks John it was a blast, sorry if I disgraced the team at that little bar they threw us out of, can't seem to remember much about Rio at all.

You can keep your Irn Bru I'll have a nice bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail :lol:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

strider77 wrote:Thanks John it was a blast, sorry if I disgraced the team at that little bar they threw us out of, can't seem to remember much about Rio at all.

You can keep your Irn Bru I'll have a nice bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Recess

Post by Recess »

Just to resurrect this one - especially as Rio has been well and truly happening... I got a nice email from Scottish Rowing today:

Hello and

CONGRATULATIONS on being one of the first 5 teams to complete the distance to Rio.

As one of the first 5 teams to complete the distance you win all 3 prizes for this challenge;

· A certificate

· A Gold wrist band for every member of the team (up to a maximum of 40)

· Naming rights to a Scottish Rowing Boat

Details of the terms and conditions of the prizes are in the attached document.

We would like the team or a representative of the team to be present at the boat naming publicity event at the Rio Regatta on the 24th September. The boat naming with be photographed and videoed and streamed live on social media. By agreeing to attend the event you give permission for the photographs and videos to be used for;

• Social Media, including Facebook and Twitter

· Scottish Rowing Website Articles,

· Marketing & leaflets

· Training, educational or publicity purposes

The provisional time for the boat naming is 11am.

The boat name needs to meet the criteria set out within the attached terms & conditions documents.

Please send boat names to me by 1st September 2016 to allow time to have them ordered, printed and applied.

Please confirm your attendance at the Rio Regatta presentation and also the number of people in your team for the wristband.

Congratulations again

Kind regards

Laura

I'll most likely go and wave the flag for Free Spirits, and I'll request a band for each member of the boat. How they then arrive with you - is another matter to work out! But I guess we should all discuss a name for the boat? I suggest - 'The Free Spirit of Rio'

Took me ages to come up with that...

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

How very cool!

The blisters, the hot sun, salt spray in our faces, near misses with the freighters! -- all worth it! :lol:

Alan - short of further video footage, I'm still not quite sure what you were up to in that Brazilian gas station ... :shock: :^o [-X

Love the name John. Can't wait to see you represent!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
davidc
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by davidc »

Hello John,
I just want to say that I will also go with your idea, and thanks for organizing this adventure. =D>
david
Recess

Post by Recess »

Ok. Own up. Which one of us was this!?

Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

John, thank you for the update - I'm happy to go with your choice of name.
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Recess wrote: I'll most likely go and wave the flag for Free Spirits, and I'll request a band for each member of the boat. How they then arrive with you - is another matter to work out! But I guess we should all discuss a name for the boat? I suggest - 'The Free Spirit of Rio'

Took me ages to come up with that...
Sounds like fun and I look forward to receiving my gold wristband. Suggest name is fine, but could be shortened to Spirit of Rio if the organisers think your suggestion is too long.

Thanks again for arranging this and I hope you enjoy the ceremony. I can get the wrist band off you when you come over to Ireland for the IIRC! :mrgreen:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Kirstin
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Kirstin »

Rio Free Spirit
Free Spirit

Lots of options.

Do we know where we finished in the top 5?
Recess

Post by Recess »

We arrived weeks before anyone else. I think we ran the bar dry before they appeared...

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Recess wrote:- We arrived weeks before anyone else. I think we ran the bar dry before they appeared...
OK, but it wasn't just me, others were involved, also that beach seems strangely familiar !

Thanks for organising this John, we should do more fun events like this-the blisters are definitely worth it :wink:

For the boat name I like Free Spirits of Rio as it also has alcoholic connotations hic !
Recess

Post by Recess »

strider77 wrote:For the boat name I like Free Spirits of Rio as it also has alcoholic connotations hic !
And even better, it's FREE booze!

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Recess wrote:- And even better, it's FREE booze!
I KNEW there was a reason I drunk so much :oops: :lol:
Jill

Post by Jill »

Not sure if John will have the opportunity to read this but as I'm doing some catching up, wondered how things went at the Scottish Regatta last Saturday and was a name decided for our boat? :)

John, as you are now a new member of Fitness Matters, I send you best wishes and good luck with all your coming endeavours. That was an excellent result for you at the DIRC.

I know that Barbara ( who has the wisdom and experience ) has already said something along these lines, about burn-out, on the ' I Want To Leave The Club ' thread and like her, I'll say this, not as a member of Free Spirits, or a novice rower, but as a mum - my son is 6 years younger than you. Take great care and look after yourself - whatever the sport, a skilled coach will know when to encourage and when to counsel caution. :)
Recess

Post by Recess »

Hey Jill! I'm still kinda here. I'm not going to remove myself from the forum, as regardless what team I row for, I'll still be a Free Spirit at heart. I started my journey here, and will forever remain. Plus, I've got a Free Spirit hoodie with my name sewn into it - I'd have to throw it in the bin!

Frustratingly, they cancelled the regatta due to rain and high winds. I guess they were a bit twitchy about the concept of people drowning at a rowing day out... go figure. So there's no real update to this. We are getting to name a boat - I think they ended up going with 'Spirits of Rio' because they couldn't go over 27 letters or something. But that'll still be nice.

Once they reschedule, I'll be sure to turn up (with my FS hoodie) and take photos for here.

Back to my departure from here - thanks for the advice Jill. I'm taking stock of how I feel quite often - it's a balance between feeling fit, healthy and un-injured and not wanting to overdo things for that very reason. The Fall Team Challenge makes that a bit tougher, trying to put in as many meters as possible, while also doing lots of sprint training to try to get close to the WR attempt at the end of the month. (Which I'm losing grip of - I think the holiday in Tenerife the week before may be the nail in the coffin for it this time round - but at least I'll get to bore people about it for another year!)

But the reason for moving there is still just the same. I've got a constant battle with Chris Kelly which is very motivating, and in my distant sights is the FM wonder lightweight, Danjal - who I can only dream of catching, but it's still worth the chase!

Hope you're all well. And I'll update you when I know more about the Rio Regatta.

John.

Jill

Post by Jill »

Thank you for the update John - yes, I can understand that cries of “ Abandon Ship “ at a regatta, might not go down too well. Even if the boats do. :fsbgrin: :fswink:

‘ Spirits of Rio ‘ would indeed be a apt name - like it.

Okay young man, holiday indulgences aside, keep healthy and keep fit and keep using all that motivation to your advantage.

Keep chasing after your dream targets, and one day, you could become the dream target yourself.

Stay sensible,

Jill :)