January ctc - 5000m straight

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

January ctc - 5000m straight

Post by Grobi »

Hi everyone,

MAD has chosen the January ctc:

"5000m. Free rate and you can rest as much as you wish after you've finished."

At least it's a simple one (not easy though). In terms of pacing I would recommend current 5k pace :lol:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: January ctc - 5000m straight

Post by Paul Victory »

Grobi wrote:In terms of pacing I would recommend current 5k pace :lol:
That sounds about right. :lol:

Some people are unhappy that this is the same as the December IRL challenge. I think it might be an opportunity to target an SB. I've done the IRL once and hope to do it again before month end, but have a bit of a sore throat at present, so having an extra month in which to have another go at it is very welcome.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by Recess »

I wanted to do some sprint intervals today, so decided to do 10x100m @ 1:38 with 10x400 @1:53 in between - making a 5k total.

Result (18:11.0) was slower than my last 5k, but puts me on the board at the top for the time being.

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Caratacus
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Caratacus »

Tough way to do a 5k - great effort John =D> =D> =D>
Felton H
Kirstin
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Kirstin »

Cheering you all on.

Maybe next year I'll give it a try myself.
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Kirstin wrote:Cheering you all on.

Try it this year! The CTC is first and foremost about participation; no need to worry about times or anything. Anyone posting a score helps us float more boats :D
Felton H
Kirstin

Post by Kirstin »

Caratacus wrote:

Try it this year! The CTC is first and foremost about participation; no need to worry about times or anything. Anyone posting a score helps us float more boats :D
My time are pretty dismal at this point. I do not recommend taking two decades off. I only picked this up again a few weeks ago and have only done 5K twice - best time was 26:40.0. But if a middle-aged, unfit gal can help the team, I'm in. If nothing else I seem to have retained the level of insanity necessary for participation in this sport.
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Kirstin wrote:But if a middle-aged, unfit gal can help the team, I'm in. If nothing else I seem to have retained the level of insanity necessary for participation in this sport.
That's the spirit; the more the merrier :fsbgrin:
Felton H
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Great attitude Kirstin! Go for it. Don't worry at all about placement. Taking any seat in any boat is an accomplishment for the team.

When I took up erging -- as a middle aged, unfit gal :D -- I had a goal in mind of 5k a day average over the season. That proved waayyyyy too ambitious. I logged 1.6k daily avg that year. But, fast forward a few years. Last season was a 6k daily meter average. That's goal smashed in my mind, just took a few extra years and a little help from :fsbgrin: :fsgrin: :fsbgrin: :fsgrin:

So - I'm thrilled to see a nice, solid 5k piece. It's something I'll want to try a few times in January. My goal being to set my own marker and try to beat it, regardless of where that places me elsewhere.

WELCOME to Free Spirits. Glad you're on board!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Kirsten, If you do a 5k, you should definitely post your time on CTC. The more boats we float the better and we're often short of female rowers to float a boat.

I've ebbed and flowed over the years and it takes a while to get back into the swing of things. I've been erging fairly consistently for the past two years and my times have come down a lot. In September 2013, all I could manage for 5k was 22:50.1. Today I did it in 18:12.9.

If you've rowed regularly in the past, it should only take a few months to get back into the groove. And any contribution to any of the team challenges in the meantime will be very welcome.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Kirstin

Post by Kirstin »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and encouragement. I'll give it a try and see what happens. :D
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Free Spirits are currently leading the way in this month's challenge with the only floating boat. :mrgreen: I'd post a picture here, but I seem to have lost my snipping tool when I migrated to Windows 10.

Paul V
jhaveman
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by jhaveman »

With a challenge like this (5k) it's always tempting to try to improve your PB. However I was going to be sensible and aim for a time just below 20 minutes.

All that changed when I noticed that Alan had posted a time that was around my PB time.
I just couldn't help myself and started off at an optimistic pace that would give me a new PB. Bad move as it turned out, because it backfired badly and I just managed to limp in at 20:07 and a bit.

I'm now wondering whether it was today's lack of doughnuts that made the difference.
Still - there's almost a month left to try again!

Jan.
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Went off too quickly and paid the price :twisted: had to back off and nearly coasted in but thought better of it after 20 seconds or so and upped the pace again for a half way reasonable time. At least gets a time in and sets a marker for some hopefully better rows later in the month
Attachments
IMG_3055__1451840244_73644__1451840244_17221.jpg
IMG_3055__1451840244_73644__1451840244_17221.jpg (28.38 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Felton H
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Hello Kirstin - how lovely to have another lady join Free Spirits. :D

When it comes to persuading you to take part in the CTC, it looks as if everyone has done a grand job. However, there is one more essential reason why we ladies are needed; we have a civilising effect on the gentlemen. Rules are necessary and we see they’re carried out: no drinking, no smoking, no skinny - dipping, :shock: no gambling, ( rumours of an illegal poker school ) no swearing, no snipping tools, ( ouch :!: ) no doughnuts, ( sugar is like sand, it gets in everywhere ) no re - enactments of Mutiny on The Bounty, ( too much arguing over whose turn it is to be Captain Bligh or Mr Christian ) no keelhauling, ( damages the coral reefs ). After all, this is a fun event. :lol: :wink:

The ladies are also in charge of the refreshments - the Hamper Hijacker is still at large … Please do your best to be extra vigilant. :)

For identification purposes, all our boats fly the Free Spirits’ colours but they are actually named after a famous vessel. Painted on the side of each craft, in beautiful blue and gold lettering, is the word ‘ Endeavour ‘. :D

Best wishes Kirstin and good luck with obtaining all your goals. Row on. :fsbgrin:

Jill :)

PS - I think of myself as middle - aged, so that only makes you and Barbara, ' Spring Chickens ' :fsbgrin:
Kirstin

Post by Kirstin »

Jill, I automatically like anyone who thinks of me as a spring chicken. lol I'll do my best to be a civilizing influence, but don't get your hopes up too high in that regard. I'm still working on the portion of the male population that I live with. Refreshments, well I make a pretty good cheesecake, from scratch, not a box.

Thanks for the warm and informative welcome.
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

I love the new CTC rules, Jill.

Some of the "freer " spirits might protest the ban on skinny dipping? But you're right it's generally a bad idea especially if Paul does manage to re-find his snipping tool... :lol:

P.s. Second 5k logged, not for another CTC time, yet.
First 5k was an SB but not a PB. After all the HMing, 5000 meters feels fabulous. \:D/
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Welcome Kirstin, please dip your toe in the water, its always lovely to see new spring chickens hatching :lol:
jhaveman wrote:- With a challenge like this (5k) it's always tempting to try to improve your PB. However I was going to be sensible and aim for a time just below 20 minutes.

All that changed when I noticed that Alan had posted a time that was around my PB time.
I just couldn't help myself and started off at an optimistic pace that would give me a new PB. Bad move as it turned out, because it backfired badly and I just managed to limp in at 20:07 and a bit.

I'm now wondering whether it was today's lack of doughnuts that made the difference.
Still - there's almost a month left to try again!

Jan.
Nice effort Jan =D> , the doughnuts definitely help, I am at my heaviest for a couple of years so will try to keep to my new year resolution of putting less in my mouth and more time on the erg :oops:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Jill

Post by Jill »

Kirstin wrote:Refreshments, well I make a pretty good cheesecake,
Kirstin, all the more reason to remain vigilant. :)
CamiCrew wrote:Some of the "freer " spirits might protest the ban on skinny dipping? But you're right it's generally a bad idea especially if Paul does manage to re-find his snipping tool...
:lol: :lol: :lol: Barbara, I'm beginning to think that I might be a very bad influence on you ... :lol: :wink: Well done with your first CTC attempt of the new year. =D>
strider77 wrote:the doughnuts definitely help,
Rebellion in the ranks already, I see. :lol: :wink:

And to our gentlemen, great going so far. =D> :fsbgrin:
Kirstin

Post by Kirstin »

Looks like my husband is going to join us as well. :) Haven't gotten him registered here on the forum yet, but did get him registered with the team on the C2 logbook.

Fighting a virus of some sort so didn't try the 5K today. Maybe tomorrow.
Kirstin

Post by Kirstin »

5000 done. Improved my time by over a minute in spite of the virus I'm fighting. Will have to try again next week and see what I can do.
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Well done Kirsten =D> great to have you with us.

I thought I'd start the year positively, no excuse not to do a simple 5k right? :roll:
I'm on the board with 19:48, but I had to rest 3 times, and nearly said hello to my breakie again :mrgreen:
Oh dear.
Never mind, onwards and upwards...
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Kirstin

Post by Kirstin »

Wolfmiester wrote: I'm on the board with 19:48, but I had to rest 3 times, and nearly said hello to my breakie again :mrgreen:
Oh dear.
This is why I row first and eat breakfast after. I have no desire to be mopping the garage floor. :D
gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Wolfmiester wrote: I thought I'd start the year positively, no excuse not to do a simple 5k right? :roll:
I'm on the board with 19:48, but I had to rest 3 times, and nearly said hello to my breakie again :mrgreen:
Oh dear.
That which does not kill us, can still make us feel like we want to die! :twisted:

I'm glad you got on the board and keep you breakfast down. I think I'll have to attack this one this Saturday, and I will heed the advice to do it on an empty stomach!
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Jill

Post by Jill »

Kirstin wrote:5000 done. Improved my time by over a minute in spite of the virus I'm fighting. Will have to try again next week and see what I can do.
That's a very promising debut Kirstin. =D> Away you go. :)