May CTC - unrestricted 2 minutes

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

sander
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: May CTC - unrestricted 2 minutes

Post by sander »

Test drive today. 616m. I should be able to do at least 10 more meters. Will try again.
This one was more like 1k pace and stroke rate.

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

A little improvement today - up to 657m 1:31.3 42spm. From negative splitting last time to "perfect" positive splitting this time: 112m - 111m - 110m - 109m - 108m - 107m...

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Liefcat wrote:A little improvement today - up to 657m 1:31.3 42spm. From negative splitting last time to "perfect" positive splitting this time: 112m - 111m - 110m - 109m - 108m - 107m...
Very impressive OCD positive splitting :D
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:
Liefcat wrote:A little improvement today - up to 657m 1:31.3 42spm. From negative splitting last time to "perfect" positive splitting this time: 112m - 111m - 110m - 109m - 108m - 107m...
Very impressive OCD positive splitting :D
I knew you'd be impressed, plummy. :lol:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Big time failure for a non-OCD row!! Haha

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Well, I thought I did pretty well, until I saw some of the distances that you guys are posting.

I managed 632m as part of a 6x2' interval session. I worked my way up in rate through the first coupe of reps and went for it in the last half of the third. I am not in erg shape right now, but I probably should have been able to go faster.

At any rate, it was the first time I have been on an erg since May 5th, and it wasn't as horrible as I was fearing.

Bring on June!
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

well done team, with possible a few more to make their one an only attempt?
did mine today, with apologies to Alan - 619m :wink:
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Wolfmeister wrote :- well done team, with possible a few more to make their one an only attempt?
did mine today, with apologies to Alan - 619m :wink:
Cheers Steve mate :lol:

I was banking on only doing this the once however we'll see what's left in the tank now you have thrown down the gauntlet :wink:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Shang-Chi
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Shang-Chi »

Paul Victory wrote:I don't think you can go all out on this like you would for a 500m attempt. It's bad enough flying and dying with 100m to go, but running totally out of steam with around 45 seconds to go sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Excactly ! If you can go 1:25 for the 500 you can forget about going 1:27 for the 2minutes ! You'll burn out faster than a chinese cracker !

But today I did 671 meters i.e. @1:29.4 ( 1.2 paceseconds faster than first attempt ) 8) but still not in the zone ! I had to back off on the 5th. 20sec.split and had a hard time putting in a sprint !

Splits were: 1:30.0, 1:28.4, 1:27.7, 1:28.4, 1:30.0 & 1:29.2
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

That's a very strong 2 minutes, Mikkel. =D> =D> =D>

I see your name is appearing twice on the CTC. What happened to cause that?
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Shang-Chi

Post by Shang-Chi »

Paul Victory wrote:That's a very strong 2 minutes, Mikkel. =D> =D> =D>

Thank you Paul !
Simple: my name is twice on the list, and at my first login, I choose the lower name, and on the second time I couldn't remember which and took the upper. Therefore 2 entries ! :lol:
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Shang-Chi wrote:
Paul Victory wrote:That's a very strong 2 minutes, Mikkel. =D> =D> =D>

Thank you Paul !
Simple: my name is twice on the list, and at my first login, I choose the lower name, and on the second time I couldn't remember which and took the upper. Therefore 2 entries ! :lol:
You should send a message to Dougie Lawson (Citroen) on the UK forum asking him to delete the second entry. There's a link to the forum at the top of the CTC page. Otherwise, you'll have the CTC police ranting at you on Facebook.

Paul V
Shang-Chi

Post by Shang-Chi »

It's taken care of ! :D
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Nice work Mikkel ^O^

Alan, because I felt guilty about being unknowingly 1m ahead of you, I had another go today.
Shorter warm up (easy 5min instead of hard 10) and upped the df just a little
626 @ 1:35.8
105, 104, 105, 105, 104, 103
Just about right, tiring at the end, hense the slight dip.
Wolfie

dblinden
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by dblinden »

Unfortunately, Every Meter Counts - The May CTC Challenge

Warning: Anyone with ADD or an aversion to melodrama should immediately skip to the very end.

The May Challenge for me actually started the first week in April; actually the day after I completed the April CTC. I woke up with searing pain in the right thoracic area of my back. Difficulty moving; every breath causing heightened pain. Coughing or sneezing yielded almost unbearable results. I could just make out my wife saying yet again, "Now do you want to go to urgent care?" Long story almost short I diagnosed myself with an intercostal muscle sprain. I felt privileged to self-diagnose based on my past 40 years of medical experience. For those who don't know, Atlanta, GA is the pollen capital of the universe during April. No amount of anti-histamines will prevent coughing, sneezing and breathing difficulty. Bad timing for sure. I attempted the April CTC in the first week so I would have a chance to redeem myself later on. Well, that didn't happen and I was off the erg and virtually all sporting activities for the next four weeks.

Now it's May. I started back to very light rowing against my doctor's (read wife's) advice. Just 15-20 minutes of light back and forth. After a couple weeks, increased to 30-45 minutes light effort. Back gradually improving during daytime, but more problematic at night when in same position for sustained time periods.

So May is running out and people are already talking about the June challenge. With my wife at her job today, I decided to give it a go. There would be no second tries for multiple reasons. I studied the CTC website and tried my best to ignore the top 300 results as that would prove just too intimidating for someone of my stature and incapacities. I mentally dialed in a goal of 556 meters and thought this was attainable. Warmed up a few minutes and set up the monitor. Took a swallow of liquid only to realize that I did not screw the top all the way on my water bottle and thus spilling blue-colored PowerAde down my chest and my lap. After mopping that mess up and telling myself that I don't believe in omens or foreshadowing, I grabbed the reins and gave it a go.

I really don't understand how 2 minutes can last so long. I once had a two week vacation that went by faster than this two minutes. My results were 555 meters @ 1:48.1 33 spm. One meter short! I'm pretty sure the PowerAde residue on the rail slowed me down enough to account for that one meter loss. I'll never know for sure as I'm through with this challenge. Now I have to remember how to post the result on CTC website.

Regards - Dennis L
Dennis L
62 y/o 5'6" 68kg
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

:D :D
well done Denis, on both the attempt and the write up again.
keep the back protected (but you know that already)
Wolfie

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Very well done Denis on the CTC =D>

The write up was priceless and I think I speak for everyone in the team in saying that you fully deserve the inaugural awarding of the Grand Golden Orb for allergic rhinitis sufferers for efforts way beyond the call of duty on the May CTC ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
danfennell
Free Spirit

Post by danfennell »

The pain of being demoted and ultimately deboated was enough to make me try this again. Improved by 10 meters. :D

Last time - 669m.

Today- 679m.

1:27.9 - 341m - 41spm
1:28.4 - 339m - 40spm

1:28.3 - 679m- 40spm

PM4 math: 9 + 1 = 9...???
Dan | Age:48 | Ht: 186cm | Wt: 93kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Very strong CTC Dan. It was nice having you alongside me in boat 2 for a while, but that's a stonking improvement! Fastest Free Spirit for the current challenge and in top 5% overall. ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

The lovely Jennifer did the challenge this morning at my behest in order to float FS7. On entering her score, we found that the lovely Jill and got in just ahead of her (and had covered 15 meters more). We now have three members sitting ashore waiting for two other rowers (of any description) to float FS8.

I had two aborted attempts at improving my effort of 648m. On the first one, I reached 329m at halfway at DF 165, but HDed after 80 seconds. In my second attempt at DF 150, I was determined not to HD, but slowed right down when I blew up after 30 seconds and finished with 582m.

I might try again tomorrow. #-o Then again, I might not :mrgreen: :lol:

Paul V
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Paul Victory wrote:The lovely Jennifer did the challenge this morning at my behest in order to float FS7. On entering her score, we found that the lovely Jill and got in just ahead of her (and had covered 15 meters more). We now have three members sitting ashore waiting for two other rowers (of any description) to float FS8.

I had two aborted attempts at improving my effort of 648m. On the first one, I reached 329m at halfway at DF 165, but HDed after 80 seconds. In my second attempt at DF 150, I was determined not to HD, but slowed right down when I blew up after 30 seconds and finished with 582m.

I might try again tomorrow. #-o Then again, I might not :mrgreen: :lol:

Paul V
First off, many thanks to Richard Underwood for coming to the rescue of my wife and son, who were both sitting ashore in FS8. We now have 8 boats floated and nobody in a non floating boat. :mrgreen:

I decided I would have another go, despite a twinge in my lower back on the right hand side that had me hobbling around like a 90 year old. I did 15 minutes warm up and then cranked the DF up to 175 (which is currently the max on my erg - note to self, clean the erg!) and moved the footplate up a notch. I think I must have a psychological aversion to this challenge, because I just couldn't keep the pace up and paddled home in 615m. Not quite as bad as yesterday, but way behind my 648m best.

I began to wonder if I had set the DF too high or if it would be better not to change the footplate, so I decided to experiment by doing a flat out 1 minute at those settings. This went betterr than expected and I did 344m @1:27.2 to beat my 1 minute PB by 5 meters. So it's not the DF or the footplate setting that's the problem. :roll:

The pain in my back was much worse after this, so I took a couple of pain killers and decided to do a gentle cool down. I ended up doing just under 35 minutes at 2:02 pace, but there's definitely something going on in my lower back. I'm off to Spain on Tuesday for 6 days for my niece's wedding and this will somewhat limit my opportunities for doing further damage by continuing to row. :roll:
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Paul Victory wrote:The lovely Jennifer did the challenge this morning at my behest in order to float FS7. On entering her score, we found that the lovely Jill and got in just ahead of her (and had covered 15 meters more).
Paul, that 15 metres was more by accident than design. :lol: Still hopeless at pacing myself - started off way too fast and then about halfway through, had an attack of the HDBs, " Holy Domestos Batman, I can't do this! " I then wasted precious seconds and breath, shouting, " Yes you can you silly old bat! " #-o :lol: :lol:

All FS ladies are lovely regardless of whether they take part in any CTCs. :fsbgrin:
Paul Victory wrote:First off, many thanks to Richard Underwood for coming to the rescue of my wife and son, who were both sitting ashore in FS8. We now have 8 boats floated and nobody in a non floating boat.
A thank you from Richard - the CTC is not his thing - being very competitive and a perfectionist, he doesn't always find it easy to accept the very gradual slowing down that comes with any age related sport. I think that this is something that most active men probably find quite difficult ... :fsbgrin: :fswink:
Paul Victory wrote:I decided I would have another go, despite a twinge in my lower back on the right hand side that had me hobbling around like a 90 year old. I
I'm wearing my Nora Batty stockings and holding a rolling pin when I say this, " What have you been up to now Mr. Vincent :!: " [-X

Take a break and enjoy your niece's wedding. \:D/ :fsbgrin:

Jill :)