New toy! (PM5 monitor)

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: New toy! (PM5 monitor)

Post by Claudius »

In my subjective opinion the pm4 of my own erg is much more stable then the pm5 in the gym i frequently use- this new one more crashes while connecting to a phone or a usb stick or even programming a interval ...my pm4 usually do not crashes...the very big advantage is the backgroundlighting of the pm5...but stability is more important...but is this 200$/€ worth ? I have a wardrobe-led installed on my erg lighting the pm4 if i want to row in the dark
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: New toy! (PM5 monitor)

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Time for a random thread bump as I've just installed my PM5 to replace my PM3 on my model D.

I've always preferred the backlit display, especially as I always tended to do longer rows here in the late afternoon when it's getting cooler. Most annoying halfway through a 60mins when I can no longer see the display so that's one less thing to worry about.

Another nice function is the free Ergdata app which I've got on my phone now. Lots more interesting information to look at when rowing (drive length, average and max power each stroke, also having the drag factor displayed constantly without having to search before I row is handy too)

Looks like I need to buy a new heart rate monitor with Bluetooth now which is a bit of a pain, although the old wired on dropped out all the time so I won't miss it.

One annoying thing is that you need separate USB sticks plugged in to store info for each rower. Especially annoying as it's just me and my girlfriend using the erg here, so we'd have to unplug the other person's stick and put the correct one in every time we row I presume? For now I'm not going to bother using a stick at all, I still have my PC so I can re-row against previous rows I have done if needed.
6'6" 1971