Shipping My Oars

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Shipping My Oars

Post by billwright »

After a great deal of success on the C2 Rower including (at one time) holding four British records in the 60-69 age group, I have finally decided that it's time to stop, "ship my oars" and switch to another form of of fitness training.

The reason for this is simple. I have had a a great deal of trouble with my lower back and having had two bouts of surgery, (the latest of which has made the situation worse) the Doc has told me to quit rowing in order to preserve what is left of my lower back. :lol: In the past, I have ignored Doctor's orders and this, I guess, is chickens coming home to roost.

The plan is to try indoor cycling on Trisha's Wattbike and try to maintain at least a modicum of fitness in the future and maybe even buy another so that we can "ride" together.

I've had a great time being involved with Free Spirits attending various race meetings and of course the inimitable Madchester gathering.

My sincere thanks to Strider, Stan, Huw, Plummy, Jane, Pepe, Colin, Paul Victory and many others who gave me encouragement in those meetings and through some of the hard times caused by illness.

I'll probably still post on the Forum as I see that there is a Wattbike thread. Maybe it could grow to the size of the Wolverine(ish) Plan thread :lol:

As the man in the trilby hat said "Here's looking at you Kid."

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

PS My Model E is for sale. 2010 Version with PM4 15 Million metres and one careful owner. :lol:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Shipping My Oars

Post by plummy »

Billy my man - it was (still is really) a privilege to have had you as a team mate. Your inner strength through illness and injury as well as wonderful personality have been a blessing. (and Trish's too of course!!)

Shipping your oars makes sense in the long term for you as there are others ways and means of keeping fit and well (which has to be the prime motivator). Keep us informed of your future exploits on whichever thread suits your purpose best.

Best of luck on the new metal mistress and I'll put some feelers out for a buyer for your (StokieDan is taking delivery of one today - but I think it's a rental so maybe a good place to start if he decides that rowing "is for him"

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Bill, I'm sorry to hear that you have decided to stop erging, but it sounds like the only sensible course of action. I hope you keep dropping in from time to time to let us know how you're getting on.

It was a pleasure meeting you and Trish and I still remember your epic 300m race in Grimsby, when you and your main competitor both broke the British record for your age group. I think one of you reached a stroke rate of around 70 and TMWTM (who was doing the commentary) couldn't believe what he was seeing.

Best wishes for the future.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
RogerB
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by RogerB »

Dear Bill, Have you considered swimming as an alternative to erging? I really only erg to improve my swimming although I enjoy all the challenging tasks that are offered. If you ache for competition `Masters swimming` offers comps for over 25`s` and are arranged in 5 year age bands and like Erging have Local,British, European and World comps although not Online. Roger.
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Really sorry to hear about your back Bill.It was a pleasure to meet you in Madchester and watch theBritish record. 8) I was sure you would be joining us on the 6:20 thread before long.
But I hope your watt bike training goes really well and if Plummy does get another Madchester off the ground maybe you could bring your watt bike along because there are a few goog bikers on here.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

Bill my old mucker, sorry to hear that and you still hold the 2k British Record for 65 + mate :wink:

I agree with the others that your decision is very sensible and I look forward to seeing your exploits on the Watt bike but I think Trish will kick your ass :lol:

We do venture down to the West Country most years and we must get together when next we go down.

I have sent you a PM, look foward to hearing from you :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

Oh Bill! Echoing the others, probably the best long term decision, but boy oh boy will you be missed! What an example you have set us all - quiet determination and fantastic efforts (and results!). =D> A total star. As Jason says, if you guys can come along to any events you'll be made most welcome. :fsgrin:
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Sad to see you go, Bill, but if rowing has turned from friend to foe, it seems there is no other option.

Be sure to drop in now and then, so I can stare at your PB box again and think - wow, and he did these well in his sixties (and what a weakling am I :? :) ).

Thank you for the inspiration! :fsgrin:
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
StokieDan
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by StokieDan »

Sorry to hear of your situation.

I am renting at the moment. What sort of price are you looking for? Feel free to message me on here.

Thanks
Dan
billwright

Post by billwright »

StokieDan wrote:Sorry to hear of your situation.

I am renting at the moment. What sort of price are you looking for? Feel free to message me on here.

Thanks
Dan

You have a PM Dan.

billwright

Post by billwright »

Many thanks to all of you who have commented today. Your kind thoughts are much appreciated. ^O^ ^O^

Regards

stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Bill these things happen matey so best to try something else if it's causing you pain. I will never forget your first comp I think it was Eveshams Golden Mile where you started off like a scolded cat I remember thinking if this guy keeps this up it will be a WR for sure. =D> Then when I saw you race again you did a similar fast start but you held the pace longer this time and so it went on, great stuff very entertaining it was too.
I wish you well on the watt bike my friend but you do realise it can be another pain machine don't you :twisted: :lol:
All the best to you and Trish
Colin B
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Sorry to hear this news Bill but it does sound a sensible course of action under the circumstances. Good to hear you will stay in touch and the watt bike thread sounds a good idea.
pb times
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Bill what a wonderful presence you are, and have been, on this Forum over the years. Congratulations on your remarkable C2 career. ^O^ It is very fun to hear from those who were there in the moment for your races & records. You are now doing the right thing for your back and that's such a tough call, but wise. Good luck on the Wattbike. You'll need to post your progress, hope Trish will too. :D

Best to you both.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Bill, I'm so sorry to hear that you have decided to give up erging. Free Spirits are losing a fantastic competitor and you will be sadly missed. However, you are taking a sensible alternative route to keeping fit by use of the watt bike and I wish you every success.

I have been out of action for two months with lower back problems (not as severe as yours) and am planning to resume rowing very carefully in November after having had several sessions of physiotherapy. If things don't turn out too well, I may have to join you on the watt bike!

I have very much enjoyed our association on the two Limerick threads. My constant fear is running out of either material or inspiration, but currently I have a reasonable stockpile of limericks to keep the "Extra Limerick" thread going - which you started.

Very best wishes to you and Trish, and I hope that the substitute metal mistress will be able to cope with the pressure!

Philip
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

I was hoping "shipping My oars" meant you were taking up on the water rowing and just waiting for your oars to come in. Your decision makes me sad but I certainly understand it in the face of your back difficulties. I hope you are able to maintain fitness in some other sport because I think it adds so much to our physical and mental well-being. Your toughness when training for the crash-b's while injured a few years ago will always be etched in my memory. Good luck to you.

Kirby
54 years old probably around 77kg.
billwright

Post by billwright »

My sincere thanks to Colin, Stan Pepe, Camicrew, Pepe and Kirby for you kind wishes in your posts. Best of luck to all of you in achieving your targets.

If you think that you're too small to make a difference, you haven't shared a tent with a mosquito! :lol:

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Bill,
iI consider it an absolute privilege to have met you. An excellent erger and thouroughly decent man.I too remember those early days of you charging off in the races. Raised more than the odd eye brow I can tell you! :D
Best wishes in your next stage of training/life buddy.
Steve
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Duckrunner
True Free Spirit

Post by Duckrunner »

billwright wrote:My sincere thanks to Colin, Stan Pepe, Camicrew, Pepe and Kirby for you kind wishes in your posts. Best of luck to all of you in achieving your targets.

If you think that you're too small to make a difference, you haven't shared a tent with a mosquito! :lol:

Dear Bill,

Sad news but understandable, most people on here will not know that you were broken wreckage of a man when the Corps had finished with you :D :D :D :D :D . You certainly stamped your authority on the championships you have won, leading from the front!! Hope all goes well and that you keep in touch in our other site.

Yours aye

Chris
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.
billwright

Post by billwright »

Thanks Steve (Wolfie) and thanks Chris (Duckrunner). Broken but not busted! :lol: :lol:

Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Sounds like you have made a sensible decision to stop rowing, Bill. All the best for the future.
6'6" 1971
Thomas W-P
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Yes, best of luck with it all Bill. I found your performances inspirational.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days