Marathon Frenzy!!!

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Jainser - WELL DONE!!

Fantastic time and a dramatic way to get to 3 million metres!

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Fantastic time Mr Shrek

and now just a few hundred below 3m

A true Free Spirit. :P
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Work up and felt great. Did a quick 10k this morning to get over 3m and whilst doing this had time to reflect.

Now please note this is just me talking not by any means saying this is the way it should be done.

Prep.
Didn't do any!! Only thought about doing the marathon about 5 minutes befor starting. Was planning to do a 2 - 3 hour row in an attempt to keep the 2 Pauls in and around the 100k ahead of me mark. As I put my heart rate monitor on it struck me that 3 hours is my target time for a marathon so what the hell I'll have a go.
Told myself if I bomb out doesn't matter as the metres will help either way. (Think was a key part as I didn't have any pressure on myself - last time I put loads on, know Mike had said keep in around 2:10 and just concentrate on finishing but I knew in my head I could row faster)
As I didn't plan this my food intake was a round of sandwiches at lunch and 2 doughnuts. Got home and had my chocolate out of my advent calendar (who said there just for kids 8) ) and half a pack of Sainsburys Pork breakfast sausage.

Row
Throughout the row I had half a litre of an energy drink.

Post row
pint of water, 2 large barcardi & cokes, the rest of the Pork breakfast sausage and a slice of cheese cake ("Cheese cake - a cake made of cheese")

So in my opinion you can do all the prep work work in the world, eat your own body weight in pasta etc but if your (I'm) not straight in my head that I can do this, it ain't gonna happen.

Once again I would like to stress these are just how I do things. Not be any means saying this is the right way and reading back through it I'm sure it isn't but it worked for me.

Based on how good I feel now when I said never again I shall now change that to 'never again, this year' :wink:
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

Iron Ar$e meet Iron Gut!
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Fantastic first marathon Peter, I am in awe. Not sure about your nutritional preparation but hell if it works for you...
pb times
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Well done Pete :!:

Good prep, if not different. At this rate the cricket, football and rugby teams of England will be approaching you for advice.

If you don't mind I will steal your idea but replace the bacardi with brandy. Girl's drink bacardi.

D'oh just remembered how big Jainser was at BIRC. Did I mention how much I like bacardi..............
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Fantastic Pete and your nutrition plan sounds great to me :lol:
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Mister Shrek - fantastic time! Did you realise you were within seconds of beating my Season's Best???? That is an awesome result for first time round, especially with your 'unusual' preparation techniques. Am sure you can go faster than that (and not looking forward to it, as it'll force me to go and do a faster time again).

And Simsy:
I thought it was all about...

the bubblewrap
the 10 Tonnes of kit to set up beforehand
the cr@p PM2 monitor that doesn't work....
the flashy FS Performance top - that you take OFF to row!!
the time wasted by stopping to have a drink (lightweight)
The bubblewrap is VERY important, although I'm coming round to the fluffy towel tactic. The strategically placed plasters are important too - ask Max. :twisted:

The 10 tonnes of kit was the sound system, and it helped me!

The PM2 monitor indeed, will not work on a Model D. Not a great time to find out, I know. Ah well.... :oops:

The flashy performance top is too hot for me to row long distances in, and I'm not 100% certain about the seams. It is excellent for racing 2ks etc though. I prefer cycling tops for ultra distance because they are cooler and have full length zips. At least I didn't look like I'd had a shower :wink:

Stopping for a drink is better than inhaling it and choking as I believe both you and Stan demonstrated...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)