Free Spirits meta-nonathlon

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Introducing the FS Meta-nonathlon 2015

Post by Rodger »

Rodger wrote:Well done, Rob! You are 2 points ahead now.
Make that 4! =D>

As a small clarification: since I'm using full percentage scores now, scores are rounded off. This means that seemingly equal scores of a 100 can be in different colored cells. Plummy's scores illustrate this nicely; the 100 in the yellow cell (for his 30') means his nonathlon score in 2015 is exactly the same as in 2014. The 100's in light green (for his 2k, 5k and 6k) are slightly higher than last year (higher than 100% but lower than 100.5%). The 100 in the orange cell (for the 10k) means the score in 2015 is slightly worse than in 2014, but still rounded off to 100.

M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Rob C
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Rob C »

Rodger wrote:
Rodger wrote:Well done, Rob! You are 2 points ahead now.
Make that 4! =D>
Thanks Rodger. I'll try not to make too many more improvements. I don't want to overwork you :)
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Please tell me I won :fsbgrin:

If I have it will be the first sporting type challenge I've ever managed to not come last in [-o<
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Rob C wrote:Please tell me I won :fsbgrin:

If I have it will be the first sporting type challenge I've ever managed to not come last in [-o<
You are still leading the pack alright. But in theory, until the nonathlon rolls over into the 2016 season, people can still submit scores. I will check in a couple of days and declare the FS meta-nonathlon 2015 closed after the weekend.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Thanks, I'm not impatient, really :-#
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by K_Cat »

Thank you for putting these numbers together, Rodger! It's motivating to see that, slow as I am, I'm still improving. I credit lots of volume (motivated by the meter board), peppered with some high intensity interval training (motivated by the CTC), with quality feedback from the various scoring documents that you've put together on this site. You've helped my rowing enormously! Bravo! =D> ^O^

Peggy
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Congratulations to Rob for winning the Free Spirits 2015 Meta-nonathlon! =D> =D> =D>
And to Dan and Peggy for taking silver and bronze! =D>

M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Wohoo

Unfortunately I don't believe there is a prize :( so apart from thanking Roger for setting up a challenge in a way that I had a good chance of winning, I won't bore everyone with a long speech :fsgrin:
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Rob C wrote:Wohoo

Unfortunately I don't believe there is a prize :( so apart from thanking Roger for setting up a challenge in a way that I had a good chance of winning, I won't bore everyone with a long speech :fsgrin:
The opportunity to make a long speech IS the prize. :lol: Go for it!

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Rodger

FS 2016 meta-nonathlon

Post by Rodger »

Now that a new season is underway, it's time to start a new Free Spirits meta-nonathlon season too!
For newcomers, here is a quick summary.

What is the Free Spirits meta-nonathlon?
The meta-nonathlon compares your nonathlon scores with those of your previous season. In essence, you are competing against your former self. Using nonathlon points has a couple of advantages:
- a fair number of Free Spirits are doing the nonathlon anyway; no extra actions from the participants are required and the rules of the meta-nonathlon should be intuitive to nonathlon participants;
- scores get age adjusted (as well as adjusted by weight class and gender) by the nonathlon, which can be especially attractive to rowers beyond their natural peak;
- the nonathlon uses most of the C2 ranking pieces, so there is a nice spread of erg distances, from 500m to a full marathon.

The scores will then be sorted into a Free Spirits meta-nonathlon ranking that shows who is doing the best job in improving on last year.

How does it work?
The scores will be calculated per piece in a simple way: for every piece (500m, 1k, 2k, etc.) your 2016 nonathlon score will be divided by the 2015 score. The outcome is then multiplied by 100, giving a percentage as your score for that distance. So, managing a better score on a piece than in the previous season gives you a score over 100. The scores are rounded off to whole numbers, for easy-view purposes (showing decimals makes the sheet look messy).

Just like in the nonathlon itself, the total score is calculated as the sum of the nine best individual scores (out of all 10). There is no bonus for doing all 10 distances though.

If you haven't entered a time/distance for a piece in the previous season, the score to beat will be equal to your highest score in that previous year. In my case, I didn't do a FM in the 2015 season. If I decide to do one in 2016, the 2015 benchmark is set at 873, which was my highest score in 2015. There is a threshold of 5 ranked pieces though, so If you entered less than 5 nonathlon scores in the previous season, the benchmark for unentered pieces will be set at 1000 instead of the highest ranked score. The sheet is sorted by the total score, so it still pays to do as much of the pieces as possible, even if you didn't enter a result in the season before.

Where is it?
I will occasionally post a picture of the table in this thread, but you can always view it here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

You can see in the left upper corner when the list was last updated. For most of last year I managed to do weekly updates and that's what I'd like to do this season as well.

All but one Free Spirit on the nonathlon 2016 so far, I could connect to their 2015 names, Chayn (Claire) being the exception. This means we have 22 names in the meta-nonathlon right now. Well, 21 names and 1 number, who coincidentally is our first leader: Christopher Lloyd.

Happy meta-nonathlonning! :fsgrin:

*EDIT: changed the URL and published the google doc, so it should be view-able now.
Last edited by Rodger on Thu May 14, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
sander
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Free Spirits meta-nonathlon

Post by sander »

Great. I may not be posting a lot of comments in this thread, but I do enjoy the meta-nonathlon ... :-)

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

I have an ominous feeling that last years achievement is not going to be repeated :oops:
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

Rob C wrote:I have an ominous feeling that last years achievement is not going to be repeated :oops:
Welcome to my world!
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

I have enough problems with my world, let alone wandering into yours too #-o
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Just make 'em all green. That's all you have to do. :fsgrin:
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

I know it's early in the season, but the meta-nonathlon 2016 has a new leader!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =601876213
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
JonT

Post by JonT »

I'm sure it's written down some where in the Free Spirits Library of Wisdom, Myth and Fable, but out of interest how does this work if you have no time/distance for one of the events? For example I did not do a FM last year. What would be my score if I did one this year?
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

JonT wrote:I'm sure it's written down some where in the Free Spirits Library of Wisdom, Myth and Fable, but out of interest how does this work if you have no time/distance for one of the events? For example I did not do a FM last year. What would be my score if I did one this year?
Rodger wrote: If you haven't entered a time/distance for a piece in the previous season, the score to beat will be equal to your highest score in that previous year. In my case, I didn't do a FM in the 2015 season. If I decide to do one in 2016, the 2015 benchmark is set at 873, which was my highest score in 2015. There is a threshold of 5 ranked pieces though, so If you entered less than 5 nonathlon scores in the previous season, the benchmark for unentered pieces will be set at 1000 instead of the highest ranked score. The sheet is sorted by the total score, so it still pays to do as much of the pieces as possible, even if you didn't enter a result in the season before.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
JonT

Post by JonT »

Rodger wrote: If you haven't entered a time/distance for a piece in the previous season, the score to beat will be equal to your highest score in that previous year. In my case, I didn't do a FM in the 2015 season. If I decide to do one in 2016, the 2015 benchmark is set at 873, which was my highest score in 2015. There is a threshold of 5 ranked pieces though, so If you entered less than 5 nonathlon scores in the previous season, the benchmark for unentered pieces will be set at 1000 instead of the highest ranked score. The sheet is sorted by the total score, so it still pays to do as much of the pieces as possible, even if you didn't enter a result in the season before.
Rodger - as ever, massively impressed with how well thought through this all is. It's also helping me hugely with a set of targets this saeson. Thanks for all the thought and effort.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Great job as always Rodger thank you :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Den-J
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Den-J »

Add me please
Age 55 LW Started rowing 26 Sep 08
*Set 2010
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Den-J wrote:Add me please
Welcome back!
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

The current standings... only four Free Spirits have managed a 900 score so far this season (a total of 900 means equaling last season's overall performance).
Follow the updates here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =601876213

M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks for the update Roger. That's a very impressive score by Felton.

I'm suffering from second season syndrome. I had PBs over five distances last season and near PBs in the other five. So I haven't managed to score over 100 in any of the nonathlon events. But I've been reasonably consistent, with nothing worse than a 98, so I guess it's not all bad.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

I should probably be excluded from this as I had only did about 3 months of last 'season' and was pretty unfit. The real litmus test for me will be next season to see if I can maintain or build on what I'm doing at the moment.
Felton H