April CTC: 3 Peaks Challenge

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: April CTC: 3 Peaks Challenge

Post by Grobi »

Nice work Alan! I think you got the pacing spot on because your second interval was as quick (in fact, even quicker) as the first one and that's the most awkward one. :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Thanks Peter, I am a bit behind you at the moment though so well done to you :wink:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Bit of a fly and die for me today. I thought I should be able to do around 1:45 average pace and did the first two intervals at 1:45.6 and 1:45.5 respectively. Unfortunately, I had nothing left in the tank for the final interval and struggled home in 1:48.0 pace for a total time of 12:04.3 @ 1:46.2 pace.

Thanks to a lot of new entries by teammates, I've moved down to boat 3 :evil: and would need to find another 1.5 seconds to move back into boat 2 (as things currently stand). We now have 7 boats floating and need a few more participants to get Kellie back into a floating boat.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
danfennell
Free Spirit

Post by danfennell »

Paul I did the CTC as a replacement for my 4 x 1000 Pete Plan session and didn't feel like I shortchanged myself. In fact I was in almost as much discomfort as I was at the end of my 2k PB. Being relatively new to things and not having a ton of "historical data" I wasn't completely sure how to pace myself. So, I actually used your 1st CTC entry as a guideline since we seem to be pretty close in all the PP intervals. Ended up at 12:02.9 - 146.1

Thanks for the inspiration (and perspiration)!
Dan | Age:48 | Ht: 186cm | Wt: 93kg
Phil Lamb
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Phil Lamb »

Not pretty, not fast and really not very pleasant! This kind of challenge does not align with the marathon training I'm deep into, next month's looks just as painful, good news is that it's done for this month, I will not be trying to better my 13:01.9 even though I should have done the last two intervals a lot faster and the first one a little faster! The only bits that went well were
the rest periods...... To smile broadly is occasionally a challenge.
61yrs 5ft 11ins 85kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

danfennell wrote:Paul I did the CTC as a replacement for my 4 x 1000 Pete Plan session and didn't feel like I shortchanged myself. In fact I was in almost as much discomfort as I was at the end of my 2k PB. Being relatively new to things and not having a ton of "historical data" I wasn't completely sure how to pace myself. So, I actually used your 1st CTC entry as a guideline since we seem to be pretty close in all the PP intervals. Ended up at 12:02.9 - 146.1

Hi Dan

I have to confess it was your time I was targeting to protect my position in boat 2. I'd nothing left in the final interval and I think I'm just suffering from a couple of weeks of hard training and I'm struggling for sharpness the last couple of days. I think you're safe enough unless I get a rush of blood to the head on Wednesday.

I think a week or two of gentle erging might be needed to recharge my batteries. :roll:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
danfennell
Free Spirit

Post by danfennell »

Paul Victory wrote:
danfennell wrote:Paul I did the CTC as a replacement for my 4 x 1000 Pete Plan session and didn't feel like I shortchanged myself. In fact I was in almost as much discomfort as I was at the end of my 2k PB. Being relatively new to things and not having a ton of "historical data" I wasn't completely sure how to pace myself. So, I actually used your 1st CTC entry as a guideline since we seem to be pretty close in all the PP intervals. Ended up at 12:02.9 - 146.1

Hi Dan

I have to confess it was your time I was targeting to protect my position in boat 2. I'd nothing left in the final interval and I think I'm just suffering from a couple of weeks of hard training and I'm struggling for sharpness the last couple of days. I think you're safe enough unless I get a rush of blood to the head on Wednesday.

I think a week or two of gentle erging might be needed to recharge my batteries. :roll:
Paul, The one funny thing I forgot to mention is that I looked at your original time (probably without my glasses on) and thought your split was 1:46.0 so I inadvertently pushed myself even harder. Best of luck if you try again...you're a brave man!
Dan | Age:48 | Ht: 186cm | Wt: 93kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I decided to do a 10k TT today instead of having a final go at the CTC. But my son Jonathan did the challenge at my request (even though he's done very little erging of late) and we are now just one rower short of filling an 8th boat.
Thomas W-P
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

I have set my target this calendar year of doing every CTC. I have not rowed seriously at all this month but done LOTS and LOTS of road cycling (http://www.strava.com/athletes/3082600) plus going to the gym each month and doing a 1k warm up on the C2 each week at the gym.

I had no idea about pacing so immediately looked for your time Paul as a target... Hmmm. 1:46 looked nasty, so I looked further down and saw Wolfie and Mike Channin. They also looked quite fast but in for a penny... I did them in decreasing distance with 3 mins then 2 mins rest. I had no idea of pacing other than not letting them be over 1:49.9 average for the first two then going bonkers on the last...

I beat Wolfie by 1.4 seconds and Mike by about 4. There is still time for them to beat me of course.

Cycling is definitely good for base fitness!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Well done Thomas. We now have 8 boats floating and no-one left ashore. :mrgreen: You're in the same boat as me as is Michelle, who put in a new time today to make sure we remain joined at the hip as far as CTC is concerned. :lol:
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Well done Thomas, I look forward to the rest of the year :-)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Hahaha. Well done, Thomas.

I can explain my relatively poor time - It was done as the first 3400ish of a C2C 16:19 as I'm targeting that more than the CTCs (which seem to have got a bit obscure lately, IMHO, although I guess interesting from a strategic perspective, if difficult for those with older PMs).

So my time was done as all three continuous, with the 5 mins rest notionally taken after the end - possibly not an ideal strategy! Didn't get chance to have a proper go.

I will just say that it is great to see Mr Victory back up-and-running and firing on all cylinders - Go Paul!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Good to see you posting Mike :wink:

I totally agree with you about Paul, there's life in us 60 +s yet :lol:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks folks. I'm getting back into the groove and I had to force myself to take yesterday off (seriously, I nearly succumbed several times times during the day, but managed to hold my nerve :lol: ).

It seemed to work because I exceeded my expectations for the "hour of power" today. Details on the SB thread. As you say Alan, there's still hope for us golden oldies.