Beginners

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Re: Beginners

Post by Tako » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Hi

I am a happy and regular user of RowPro.
The graphics are old but work fine for me as one gets used to graphics anyway. The important stuff are the other rowers, their times and position. Works nicely. With the oarbits app the scheduling and participation in rows is easy and fast. One of the main advantages of RowPro for me are the pace boats and the fact that the rows do not time out when you pause.

Like stated above I also jump on rows scheduled when it fits my schedule.

Looking forward to see you on the river and welcome to FreeSpirits!
Rowing for fitness & health!
Without others and competition I wouldn't, so thanks to all of you in the community for keeping me going! :fssmile:

Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm

I've been on RP a bit lately. Usually for the 12 noon (UK) 30 min session, which is the early morning wake up for the US.
Wolfie

Age 55 Height 6'3" Weight 93k

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by JonT » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:09 pm

maxscience wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm
Hi,

new user here as I just got a new Model D with PM5. I already downloaded all of the available iPhone apps as I already use Zwift since a month with an Elite trainer on a bike. I use that with my Apple Watch as HRM but will get a Wahoo Tickr as a HRM for the rower, mainly to display HR in RowPro. I am basically new to rowing so thought of using RowPro training plans, even though it looks very outdated as a software. Best would be to have full rowing support in Zwift with actual rowing avatars on lakes and rivers.
Any RowPro or Zwift PM5 users here?
Welcome to the group, and welcome to a very different world to the one of virtual cycling. I am also a Zwift user, and realise that you are probably having a bit of a culture shock. The erg rowing world is a slightly more solitary place when it comes to training, but this is a good group to be using to give updates or what you are doing and to get advice from some very experienced and helpful rowers (that doesn't include me!).

There really isn't an equivalent to Zwift in indoor rowing. Rowpro is the closest you will get but it doesn't really come close in terms of mass events, club events, course variation, training plans etc. What you will get from RowPro (comined with OarBits) is some organised events.

If you are interested in a training pl;an, you really don't need software to help you. Check out the training section on these forums and also have a look at the Pete Plan as a good starter.

Hope that all helps. Welcome to the team. :fssmile:

Jon
53 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent

Belinda
Warming up
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Belinda » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie and I wondered if we need insurance for competitions in the UK (e.g. do you have to register with British Rowing if you want to enter English Indoor Rowing Comp?) I'm sorry if this sounds dumb but I have been living in France for the past 25 years and I'm a bit out of touch with the way things work in the UK. Many thanks! :fsbgrin:

plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Welcome Belinda. I've never heard of insurance being needed but I'm from the UK so it's never crossed my mind. That said, I've never seen it mentioned either. I think your EHIC card should cover everything.

Good question though - maybe others can chip in with differing experiences?
56 yrs old, 71kg, 5' 10"
37Mm metres rowed - so slowing down a lot now!