Beginners

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

mardix
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Beginners

Post by mardix »

What a great welcome, thank you.

There is a quote that I admire - "Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

From what I've seen on the site you all are pretty awesome rowers, so you know the truth of that: the psychological hurdles are far more difficult than the physical ones.

@JonT, thanks, I can see what you mean be the group being supportive.

@dr3do, thanks for the support. No worries about bad English, it's often difficult for us English speakers, as well :D

@K_Cat, thanks and I look forward to rowing with you.

@gregsmith01748, thanks for the welcome. Yes indeed, core exercises are essential. I have also found that the basic compound weight routines (squat, deadlift, bench press, barbell row, and shoulder press) have been a tremendous help. I've treaded gently through these and my 1RM is laughable but slowly improving.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by K_Cat »

Well, your cheerful avatar is somewhat memorable :lol: I have to tell you, you have been sorely missed in Fito-land, where rowers are invisible but get great points. I still do my daily logging there, but come here for the rowing know-how and delightful camaraderie. Great to see your, er, smiling face again! :fsbgrin:

Peggy
mardix

Post by mardix »

K_Cat wrote:Well, your cheerful avatar is somewhat memorable :lol: I have to tell you, you have been sorely missed in Fito-land, where rowers are invisible but get great points. I still do my daily logging there, but come here for the rowing know-how and delightful camaraderie. Great to see your, er, smiling face again! :fsbgrin:

Peggy
Well, well, hello there fellow fitocrat. It's great to see you here. Yeah, I tend to use the same avatar and name in all related online worlds. That let's my friends recognize me and say hello. It evidently works :D

How are things in the Indoor Rowing group? I trust all is well there with the new leadership. Are there any others here as well?
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by K_Cat »

The Indoor Rowing group is pretty quiet, now-a-days. :( I see Tallish Steve and JD on the FS meter board. Looking at all the daily activity on the meter board is such a good motivator! And then there's the monthly CTC!

Looking forward to rowing with you here! :fsgrin:

Peggy
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Belated welcome Mardix and thank you for joining our merry little troop. Looking forward to your posts about progress (with or without the odd relapse, but hopefully without).

Take care of that back so maybe avoid the low rate stuff and flat out short intervals :wink:
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Welcome Mardix, nice entrance! :fsgrin:
Not all of us are "pretty awesome rowers" (I'm not!), but we all are pretty awesome free rowing spirits. :D
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
mardix

Post by mardix »

Rodger wrote:Welcome Mardix, nice entrance! :fsgrin:
Not all of us are "pretty awesome rowers" (I'm not!), but we all are pretty awesome free rowing spirits. :D
HA! Judging from your signature PB records, I'd say that your are indeed an awesome rower as well as an awesome Free Spirit rower ^O^

I am awesome-bound for both categories :P

And thanks for the welcome. It's nice to meet you.
Rodger
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

I see now on the meterboard that your first name is Ron. Do you prefer to be called by your first name of your forum name/surname?
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
mardix

Post by mardix »

Rodger wrote:I see now on the meterboard that your first name is Ron. Do you prefer to be called by your first name of your forum name/surname?
Thanks for asking. Either way is fine by me. I am often simply called "mardix" (my surname) in the online world and "Hey, you. Yeah you." in the real world :lol:

Seriously, early in my online presence there were, and still are, often multiple Ron's in the bulletin boards/forums, so to make life easier I just started going by mardix and it just went from there.

But, new forum, new me is okay too. Let's see what sticks :)
mardix

Post by mardix »

K_Cat wrote:The Indoor Rowing group is pretty quiet, now-a-days. :( I see Tallish Steve and JD on the FS meter board. Looking at all the daily activity on the meter board is such a good motivator! And then there's the monthly CTC!

Looking forward to rowing with you here! :fsgrin:

Peggy
I'm sorry to hear that things are quiet there. Maybe we can work on getting the whole crew to join Free Spirits as well ;)
dr3do
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by dr3do »

mardix wrote:Thanks for asking. Either way is fine by me.
If you don't mind, I'd like to call you Mardix. I have some sort of difficulties to remember names. Jon, John, Ron… is too similar for me. :oops: Mardix would work fine as it sounds pretty unique in this tiny area (for names) my head. :fsbgrin: ^O^
mardix

Post by mardix »

dr3do wrote:
mardix wrote:Thanks for asking. Either way is fine by me.
If you don't mind, I'd like to call you Mardix. I have some sort of difficulties to remember names. Jon, John, Ron… is too similar for me. :oops: Mardix would work fine as it sounds pretty unique in this tiny area (for names) my head. :fsbgrin: ^O^
Yeah, that's what I've found in many forums.
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Hello Mardix, welcome to Free Spirits - I do hope that the benefits of rowing will continue to help and improve your health and general fitness.

Belonging to Free Spirits has certainly helped me. :D

Jill :)
mardix

Post by mardix »

Jill wrote:Hello Mardix, welcome to Free Spirits - I do hope that the benefits of rowing will continue to help and improve your health and general fitness.

Belonging to Free Spirits has certainly helped me. :D

Jill :)
Thanks so much Jill. It's great meeting you.
timtim80
Warming up

Post by timtim80 »

Hello everyone! I've been lurking this forum for some time but now I've decided to register.
Recess

Post by Recess »

Welcome!! It's an interesting forum to lurk on - and a better one to post on!! Or at least, that's what I found. Feel free to post a quick blurb about yourself - it's always interesting reading about the different personalities, fitness levels and desires of the people who become part of the forum.

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Timtim80 why'd you take the plunge... ? and do you have goals for your erging? 'Fess up! :D

p.s. Welcome & nice to have you on board :fsgrin: :fsgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
timtim80
Warming up

Post by timtim80 »

CamiCrew wrote:Timtim80 why'd you take the plunge... ? and do you have goals for your erging? 'Fess up! :D

p.s. Welcome & nice to have you on board :fsgrin: :fsgrin:
No big plans at the moment. Just trying to get in shape :)
Thanks for warm welcome!
Hammer
Warming up

Post by Hammer »

Hi Team - another rookie to join the ranks!
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Hammer wrote:Hi Team - another rookie to join the ranks!
Sounds promising and motivated. =D> Welcome onboard! ^O^ :fsbgrin: It would be nice to read something about you, like your plans/goals or how you came to rowing and so on… But only if you like to. There's no need to do that. :fswink:
Recess

Post by Recess »

Hey Hammer, welcome to the forum. Good folks on here - lots of motivational advice if you want it - and lots of friendly support too.

No fish puns though...

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Hammer
Warming up

Post by Hammer »

Hey guys - thank you for the welcome, wasn't expecting such a quick reply! I came to rowing when I was about 14 - parents banned me from weights, so I used a sturdy Model C rower at the local squash club after school to build me up for rugby. I used to do a lot of fitness (even did a charity year www.one-big-year.org) but since moving jobs to London, I've found it difficult to get into the swing of things and I've gained a good 2-3 stone in weight since the end of 2012. I am challenge focussed, so the rowing appealed to me a lot, having targeted a bunch of rowing challenges before! Aims... Well overall fitness is one, joining a team with banter and collective goals was another, and I would love to get back to when I was 18, pulling sub 6.20s on a 2k, and consistently pulling 1.45 pace on the longer rows. First session at the local gym - could barely hold 2.05min per 500 on a 5k...it's good to aim high!
Hammer
Warming up

Post by Hammer »

Plans - literally don't know how to progress - I've usually just jumped on the rower and bashed out 5k as hard as I can. Would love some guidance - tried a 500m hard and 500m easy, and almost fell off the rower dry heaving after 2 rounds
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi Hammer

Welcome to Free Spirits.

You should have a look at the Pete Plan. https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/the-pete-plan/

A number of us have used it and found it very good for increasing sharpness and overall fitness.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Nice that you took the plunge wrote some words about you. ^O^ =D>
Based on what you wrote, just some thread suggestions for you. They could fit well to your needs (is this good english? :oops: )
I am challenge focussed, so the rowing appealed to me a lot, having targeted a bunch of rowing challenges before! Aims... Well overall fitness is one, joining a team with banter and collective goals was another
and I would love to get back to when I was 18, pulling sub 6.20s on a 2k, and consistently pulling 1.45 pace on the longer rows.