Beginners

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Daz
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Beginners

Post by Daz »

zootMutant wrote:Welcome Rodger and Daz!

Been out of touch for a while... but that's a subject for a different post. :oops:
Glad to see my mates have been taking care of you. 8)

Well done to you both for starting and sticking with your programs! =D> =D> =D>

Thanks zoot, and thank you for an excellent thread too =D>

As a little side note about the monitoring stuff, I am not doing it to try and obsess over my performance as such...I don't think you can call my level of fitness anything close to "performance" lol but for someone looking to lose weight, overhaul their health, change their lifestyle and generally enter a new world of trying to take care of themselves, then the more monitoring the better, in terms of charting progress, increasing motivation as a result of that progress and monitoring what effect, good or bad, diet and lifestyle is having, if for no other reason than to know when to change course and try something else to carry on with those improvements.

I am monitoring and recording my weight, food intake, exercise taken, blood glucose levels (under control via diet without medication to almost non diabetic levels 90% of the time) blood pressure (on a downward trend), resting heart rate during the day (6 months ago this was 90 bpm, it's now between 70 and 80... proper resting heart rate in bed having just awoken was 56 but I have no personal benchmark as such for that figure) and heart rate during exercise. I am doing this also, in the hope that I can go to my doctors in 6 months time and say look at this data, improvements (hopefully) are coming, I don't need medication for this that and the other (I have a few health concerns that I would rather tackle through lifestyle changes than medication if at all possible, taking data is part of evidence gathering over time to demonstrate tangibly those changes and subsequent improvements, as well as the reasons stated above).

I can see how monitoring of some things, in some ways can shift the focus from some people's goals and perhaps serve as a distraction, but my goals are enhanced via the monitoring for a myriad of reasons.

Additionally, I have been offered this past week, medication to help me lose weight. Why I would need or want such medication now I am well into my journey I have no idea. I do know you get more help the more you can demonstrate your own commitment to changing your lifestyle, but to my mind, the help should be during the dark days where the patient can't seem to tackle their demons, not once they have took control and showed good progress, but I digress lol
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

Sorry for jumping in here but...
daz said:
. proper resting heart rate in bed having just awoken was 56
So 56 is your resting heart rate. And generally speaking that's a pretty good number; if it comes down to say 48 in a couple of months you'll know you're going in the right direction. I would say that the "during the day" HR is pretty much irrelevant as there are just too many variables inherent, if you bring the resting HR down, however, that would be a true measure of increasing fitness.
54 years old probably around 77kg.
Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi Kirbyt,

I was actually a little worried it may have been towards the bradycardic side of things and posted that at the time, so it is something I should keep a record of over time for that reason alone quite aside from tracking health/fitness improvements but I have problems remembering to take my heart rate upon first waking up... it is definitely something I hope to watch more closely from my poor health standpoint, hopefully I can remember a few more times in close succession and it eventually becomes a part of my routine.

Thank you for your comment/reply, I will have to set some kind of reminder or set up some system to remind me to take it first thing as I wake up, if I can see it decrease over time in response to my changed lifestyle then that would be a double whammy in terms of attributing the lower hr to fitness and removing a slight worry about health! :D

we could do with a thumbs up smiley on here lol
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

hewitt wrote:
zootMutant wrote: if you aren't using a HR monitor or an 'exertion' scale how do you judge the intensity of your workouts and decide whether you need to work harder or take a day off?

Cheers,
zoot
I am not sure what Paul is going to say but it "MAY" sound a bit like this.

If I feel like I am breathing out of my ass I know I have been working hard so the next day I will row easier so that I can hold a conversation with somebody. The days off come when I can not be bothered that day. :wink:
Ha! You sure pegged that one! (Good to hear from you Jason!)
paulgould wrote:Exactly what I would have said Jason, except I would have spelt "ass" differently :) :) .

Zoot - my attitude is just keep it simple - I have done enough endurance based training over the years(and hit the wall several times) to be able to judge whether I am going at a sustainable pace or not.
Without attempting to be disparaging of ergers and enthusiastic sporting amateurs in general, I reckon 95% of participants(myself definitely included) would benefit far more from simply losing a bit of weight than obsessing about training plans and HR bands etc

Paul G
Thanks for the explanation, Paul. (It sure fits me. :oops: )
paulgould wrote:...and I know many will disagree with me...
Paul G
I always appreciate your comments... many thanks!
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Daz, as Kirby says, 56 is your resting rate.

Taking this every day is unlikely to show much variation. I suggest that perhaps once every couple of weeks is better. That way you have an event to look forward to and some definite progress to chart.

In using this for HR training, a resting rate is really just the bottom benchmark and does not move around that much.

More important is how high you can go and still perform. If your max is 170 and you're pegging along at 165, you're not going to last long. However visits to that sort of level will see the 170 climb as you get fitter.

This is a gradual process. You're looking to train your heart, not strain it.

The real progress is measured in how quickly you can go from max to "daytime rest".
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi Webberg,

Thank you again for an informative and helpful post, I will look towards the other method of tracking improvements discussed earlier.

I have only hit max heart rate once and tend to stay at circa 130-150 but haven't really gone any further into exploring hr training and interpretation of data etc.

Will follow your advice and keep things simple so as to not get too distracted/confused/bogged down in data etc etc.

Thanks very much to everyone for all your input... one day I might be able to return the favour!
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Daz, I see you've made yourself one of those cool PB images. That must mean you're still highly motivated. And if that VO2max is based on your 2k time, you've lost a lot of weight already. =D>

Zoot, are you okay? I've got another question about those fat burning union workers :)
Will they work harder if you give them black coffee before work (on an otherwise empty stomach)? Or is that a myth?
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
faiza2

Post by faiza2 »

Nice article for beginners. So great information. Thanks
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

I have been around for just a little while and I think I have enough figured out to keep me interested and moving forward but some of the lingo is still lost on me.
3K @1:52.8 r28, DF129 this i get
3x1K r2 this I am sure is 2 min rest between 1k rows
4K @2:06.5 cd no idea what cd means here
60r20 at 140BPM average - the HR I get but the 60r20 has me confused - row 60 sec rest 20 sec or 60 min rest 20 min ?

I thought there were some others I wasn't sure about as well but I can't think of them right now.

Lesley
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

duffyoz wrote:I have been around for just a little while and I think I have enough figured out to keep me interested and moving forward but some of the lingo is still lost on me.
4K @2:06.5 cd no idea what cd means here
Cooling down.
Some use wd, warming down, as well. But I don't know the difference between them.
duffyoz wrote:60r20 at 140BPM average - the HR I get but the 60r20 has me confused - row 60 sec rest 20 sec or 60 min rest 20 min ?
That would be 60 minutes (or 60') at a rate (or spm) of 20.
So 'r' can be rest or rate. Handy, isn't it? :?
I think, if it means 'rest' it's usually written as 2r, where if it's 'rate' it's with the r in front, as in r20, but of course there is never any consistency in the use of these kind of abbrevs. :P
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

Hi Lesley:
cd - will mean cool down
wu - will mean warm up if you see it
60r20 (ugh) - means 60 minutes at 20 strokes per minute - not much fun unless you are paddling it. The "r" means "rate" short for stroke rate

The others you are correct on :D
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

plummy wrote :- 60r20 (ugh) - means 60 minutes at 20 strokes per minute - not much fun unless you are paddling it. The "r" means "rate" short for stroke rate
And the (ugh) means usually gonna hurt :lol:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

And if it hurts too much, you end up HD'ing! Which means the handle goes down and you give up on the evil 60r20, which I have also seen referred to as "The hour of power".

There so many arcane abbreviations and nicknames for different workouts, it's a wonder anyone knows what anyone else is saying.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Trying to get the little icon on the meter board…….. it says enter your concept 2 id into the forum profile. Where do you find the concept 2 id?
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Gregor Andrews »

cowboygrrl wrote:Trying to get the little icon on the meter board…….. it says enter your concept 2 id into the forum profile. Where do you find the concept 2 id?
On the Concept2 logbook page, log in and then click on the PROFILE tab.
Ranking ID # is the 6th option down on the left hand side.
6'6" 1971
richardelston
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by richardelston »

While not technically a beginner, I have accumulated over 4m metres (not setting the world alight but something I am proud of) - I may as well be a beginner due to my absence from the rowing machine over the last two and a bit years.

I broke both arms last year following a fall in the Welsh mountains, then came the badminton season change of jobs and other complications.

I did a little bit in January, then on 25th January (just under 8 weeks ago), I had a heart attack. I broke the habit of not rowing on Monday and am going to see how far up the metre board I can get before the end of the season.

Hope to get some messages of encouragement, I think it is going to feel great to be back. Going to mainly try and do some Pete Plan type stuff and try to bring times down on sessions but I think it is going to take a long time to get any decent times.

I am on all the medication under the sun so I know I wont be able to push myself too much, but its the taking part that counts - right?

6 weeks ago I was on the operating table, breathless and ready for a sleep after only climbing a flight of stairs; I am back playing badminton matches and done a few strokes on the ERG. Here goes!!!
turkish79

Post by turkish79 »

Wow, great that you are getting back on it and hope the times come down for you and you can look forward to the next season, lots of people on the Pete Plan judging by the chatter so I am sure you can get lots if support on that as well.
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

That's some story, Richard! Sounds like you've had a very rough time.

I think one of the great things about the erg is that it can be used for all kind of purposes and intensities. Now you're thinking of slowly building up some stamina again, and before you know it you're religiously watching those pesky little numbers on the PM again. Welcome back! :fsbgrin:
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
nervtoeter

Post by nervtoeter »

Welcome back Richard, best wishes after your rough time!
As Rodger wrote you are setting the pace and intensities, enjoy and recover well.
Markus 44 83kg
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Gregor Andrews wrote:
cowboygrrl wrote:Trying to get the little icon on the meter board…….. it says enter your concept 2 id into the forum profile. Where do you find the concept 2 id?
On the Concept2 logbook page, log in and then click on the PROFILE tab.
Ranking ID # is the 6th option down on the left hand side.
Thanks Gregor. It worked!
nogsy1959
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by nogsy1959 »

Good luck Richard, I hope evrything goes well for you. Take things easy at first!
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Welcome back Richard - good luck with the rehabilitation!
pb times
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Just wondering…… no icon on the meter board for the World Erg Challenge?
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

Great stuff Richard Elston. =D> You'll soon be back to near normal. :D After my heart problems, I was stronger than ever. Hopefully it'll work for you too.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

I am a beginner; have had my Model D 1 week. Have never rowed or been on a erg before. Did of few of the "First Workouts" on the C2 website. Today I began with the 24 week, Beginner Pete Plan. Thus my first 5000m.

60F 5'5" 34:07.5