Gluteus maximus numb-as

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Gluteus maximus numb-as

Post by Thomas W-P »

I have recently been finding that I have been suffering from numbness at the back of my thighs and gluteus maximus when rowing. I seem to get this when I do anything close to maximal (e.g. on my 500m efforts today and on the 30 minutes last week). It is uncomfortable and puts me off - so mentally is bound to have an effect on my times.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with blood flow now that I am bumping up against (possibly) true PBs, and have considerably less cushioning between my arteries and the seat.

When I was doing OTW rowing I had this same problem - but only on ergos. I was given a neoprene seat cover for training which seemed to do the trick. Now, I have a C2 neoprene cover, but still seem to be getting this weakness.

Anyone else experience this?
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

I used to experience exactly the same thing when competing in canoe triathlons - the SA Ironman used to have a canoe leg of 21km instead of a swim and my feet would be completely numb after about 2-3 km.
I tried all sorts of seat padding and never found anything that worked properly.The best padding I found was a piece with the centre cut out which relieved some of the pressure on the sciatic nerve but it wasn't perfect.
Strangely enough I have never experienced that same leg numbness on the C2 even on 5-6 hour sessions - might be because I am carrying 25kg more cushioning since my triathlon days.
Sorry that I can only commiserate and not offer any constructive advice!

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

I've had/have the same/similar thing

Try doing the following strectch (I don't know it's name, and I'm probably not doing this in the optimal way, but it's helping me)

- your sitting on the floor/mat
- legs strecthed out flat
- try to push your hands as close to toes as possible (keep hands touching legs, legs and arms straight) . At full strecth, hold for 30-60 secs, do not rock slightly back and forth to get additional strectch
- you should feel it strecching the back of my thighs

I've started doing this the last month or so, and do a 30 second rep at the start of my streching and another 30 second rep at the the end of strecthing (just before I start rowing) and find it very good
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
Thomas W-P
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

johnglynn wrote:you should feel it strecching the back of my thighs
:lol: Now, *that* would be a long stretch.

Seriously - thanks, I will definitely try this and report back. I am coming down with something though so nothing maximal planned for a while.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
jainser
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

I always get a sore butt of the rower. I've tried all sorts of things. The company were we get our flight cases made gave me a load of foam for my kids school. So I nicked a bit, cut it to shape, then stuck some even softer foam on that, then put some bubble wrap on that and I still got a numb butt :o
Very wierd rowing so high as well. Kind of rowing SUV style!!!
I've done over 2m metres this season and I would have thought that my old butt would have got used to it. Not a chance.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
johnglynn
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

I think another factor is that as we loss fat on our bodies (if lossing weight), our natural cushions (rear ends) are losing there fat layers and effectiveness
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
jainser

Post by jainser »

Put even more foam and bubble wrap down and I still seem to kop it around 10k into a row. Always the right side of my butt gets numb first, followed pretty quick the left side. Then the pain kicks in.
If my seat gets any higher I'll have to start wearing my platform shoes to row!!!
Mike Channin
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Oh stop complaining you lot. Wait til you're as light as me.

Actually, the only time I really noticed the seat pain directly from weight loss was when I got down to LWT, and I know proper lightweights regularly comment on the disadvantage of making weight on the seat pain department.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit

Post by alistairkbs »

I have never had bum pain on the C2 - a sure sign that Ive still got too much natural lardy bubble wrap. Working on it and Ill let you all know when it happens cos that must be a good sign ????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

I'm with Mike on this one.

Having lost a bit of weight and muscled up the gluts (yeah - right), I find sitting on a train for any length of time requires much shifting around of position to avoid numbness.

Whatever I do though the numbness spreads to my brain about the time I arrive at work.
:lol:

On Friday we have a 20 hour jounrney as well which is about 16 hours in the air. I could be numb all week. :evil:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
jainser

Post by jainser »

Thought I'd go back to basics and take off all my F.A.N.A.S. (Fancy Anti Numb Arse Stuff) and row with just the C2 recommended soft saddle thing and my butt was getting numb even earlier :?

So if all LWTs are right I reckon I must have the butt of a LWT but the rest of me is all HWT. :D :D :roll:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

FANAS and the 'butt of a lightweight'.

Now that made me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You ever considered being a comedian, jainser?
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
ptruz
True Free Spirit

A pain in the A**

Post by ptruz »

Latley I have been stretching out my distances. Not like you lunatics but long for me.

Now, I have a unique physiology......I started rowing at 330 lbs. I am now about 290. Evrey part of me was and is plump.....except one....my a** is and always was BONEY!

I have 290 lbs sitting on a bone. skin and now a bit of muscle aquired only recently.

The first physical change my wife has notice from my rowing has been the total loss of anything back there.

It's really a shame....and PAINFUL!

I am trying the C2 seat pad right now.......useless really.

Got to come up with something..........
jainser

Post by jainser »

There you go Mike another fella whos HWT but with a LWT butt!!!!

Come all you HWT's with LWT butts don't hide in the shadows, come out of the closet and shout at the top of you voice......

"I MAY BE A HEAVY WEIGHT BUT I HAVE A TIGHT LIGHT WEIGHT BUTT, AND I'M PROUD"

Yeah baby :D